• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Amiable Dorsai

Comic Wednesday July 12, 2023

Re: the commentary:

I suppose given how (relatively) seriously EGS takes itself these days, this retcon (or "continuity addition" if you prefer) was required. If EGS had maintained the level of comedic absurdity it often had in the early days, though, this detail wouldn't have been necessary.

I'm a bit disappointed; I enjoyed the idea of hardly anyone realizing there were aliens among us despite them looking quite different from humans. (On a similar vein, I enjoyed how in the early comics Nanase regularly using magic in public and even Justin occasionally doing obvious illusions without any apparent risk to the masquerade, something Dan downplayed as much as possible for many years.)

It seems like once again my questions I didn't have are being answered.

But a new one is raised, why is Tedd freaking out in panel five? I think it's because a tactile 'illusion' is projected, but it's not clear.

Tedd apparently can't see through the illusion, otherwise he would be seeing Lavender differently now. And the tech he gave Will and Gill must not be widespread. I suppose he can see whatever is convenient for the current plot.

Seeing things that are not there, or not seeing what is there, is the classic art of illusion and can be accomplished many ways.

Feeling something that is not there might require manipulation of nerves.

Not feeling something that is there is approaching noncorporealness or intangibility.

This reminds me of DC's Legion of Superheros, where every member of an alien species would have an amazing ability.  At least compared to humans.  But only a few would attempt to exploit these abilities in the wider galaxy.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Tedd apparently can't see through the illusion, otherwise he would be seeing Lavender differently now.

It's explicit that he CAN see through the illusion, but Lavender is currently using a clone form - not an illusion.

And the tech he gave Will and Gill must not be widespread.

Can't definitely comment on that, because Lavender would have privileged access to it - considering she works for MIB and is dating Tedd's dad.

But we know that Tedd has built several TF guns, and it's reasonably likely that MIB took one or more and replicated them. So I'm guessing that quite a lot of Uryuom - at a minimum, the ones near Moperville - have access to it.

Also, I'm guessing that the ability to see through the illusions comes automatically with being a seer (but may or may not be limited to them).

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This reminds me of DC's Legion of Superheros, where every member of an alien species would have an amazing ability.  At least compared to humans.  But only a few would attempt to exploit these abilities in the wider galaxy.

To be fair, some of these abilities have rather limited application. Arm-Fall-Off Lad and Double Header spring to mind.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It's explicit that he CAN see through the illusion, but Lavender is currently using a clone form - not an illusion.

She did say how much Uryuoms nation wide owed him a lot.  Of course that could be because of the magic not change vs clone forms.  Could be both.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Lavender said Tedd can see through the illusion, but we've had no other confirmation. Edward must have told her Tedd's background, and Edward has been very wrong about Tedd before. Maybe by analogy to himself, he knows something, or maybe from Tedd's interactions with Will and Gill. I'm taking it as a TBD for now.

Where did Lavender say she was using a clone form? Oh, she didn't but she did say that Tedd could see through the illusion, but apparently he is seeing a human Lavender, so yeah, transformed.

There is the anomaly of Elliot seeing Will and Gill as Uryoums, not as their projections.

We do not know the whole backstory to Elliot. Elliot's mom and dad organized a search incorporation magic fliers, and were efficient, not shocked. They also cussed out Edward over the phone when they found out he had put Elliot in danger. And they've taken many magic things in stride. They are clearly more than they seem.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

. . . which for the most part makes no sense (which you already knew). Coming from a planet with a red sun should not give Superman amazing strength, it should give him bad sunburn.

21 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

We do not know the whole backstory to Elliot. Elliot's mom and dad organized a search incorporation magic fliers, and were efficient, not shocked. They also cussed out Edward over the phone when they found out he had put Elliot in danger. And they've taken many magic things in stride. They are clearly more than they seem.

And Darth Fluffy earns the understatement of the week award.  Rodger, tell him what he has won....