• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
liontari

STORY: Friday March 18, 2016

So... The sock universe is the Lost and Found? Seems legit.

Great. Now we have to wonder if Lord Tedd's/Beta Tedd's/Magus's universes are other faces of this one's die or other dice/coins entirely. As if the multiverse wasn't complicated enough.

This certainly explains much of what the griffins were talking about, but raises questions on the whole drain thing. Where does magic come in, if it goes out through moperville? Could the government build some sort of magic turbine? Have they done so already? If universes are the faces of a coin, what makes up the center? 

Ah, okay.  So it's like a duplex in a neighbourhood of universes... or an apartment building on a city block full of apartment buildings, if the dice theory is correct.

I would imagine that magical energy was supposed to flow freely between the two worlds (ley lines?).  I'm sure that there's another, separate spot where Moperville's world gets their magic from the griffon world.

So the energy clog is stopping magic from entering the griffins' world? That doesn't sound good. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably doesn't make the magic users in that world weaker, but it might stop them from learning new magic. Then again, Andrea pretty much said that Moperville is not the only place where magic travels between the two worlds, so maybe the problem is not at the griffins' end at all. They might just be worried that this half of the world can't handle too much ambient magic.

Also, haha, Steven Universe. Awesome. :D

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

Great. Now we have to wonder if Lord Tedd's/Beta Tedd's/Magus's universes are other faces of this one's die or other dice/coins entirely. As if the multiverse wasn't complicated enough.

I believe all those universes are different coins, but if the dice theory is more correct, then it's entirely possible that all the universes seen in the comic so far are connected to each other.

3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Do I get to feel a little smug for the coin metaphor now?

Absolutely. I just wish I had been the first one to say it.

If this were some kind of Twilight story, with Eliot being wooed by a pair of lady griffins, I would totally be on team Tara

Yes, I know the griffins are married, but that is what Shipping is for. *IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE DAMNIT!*

8 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

So the energy clog is stopping magic from entering the griffins' world? That doesn't sound good. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably doesn't make the magic users in that world weaker, but it might stop them from learning new magic. Then again, Andrea pretty much said that Moperville is not the only place where magic travels between the two worlds, so maybe the problem is not at the griffins' end at all. They might just be worried that this half of the world can't handle too much ambient magic.

Also, haha, Steven Universe. Awesome. :D

I find it hard to believe it doesn't cause problems of some sort on their side. My best guess would be as you said about making it harder to learn new magic. So if it persists it might cause the slow die out of magic users over there

3 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:
1 hour ago, Zorua said:

I believe all those universes are different coins, but if the dice theory is more correct, then it's entirely possible that all the universes seen in the comic so far are connected to each other.

I think we need more information before we can really conclude one way or the other about those universes, though the way they are talked about in this comic does suggest that they are separate universes rather than different parts of this one.

Them being connected in some way (divergent or overlapping?) is almost certain with the similarities between them, having most of the same characters and all.

32 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I find it hard to believe it doesn't cause problems of some sort on their side. My best guess would be as you said about making it harder to learn new magic. So if it persists it might cause the slow die out of magic users over there

Okay, maybe there are some problems on their side, but I very much doubt that eventual extinction of magic users is one of them. Did you miss the part where I said that Andrea mentioned that Moperville is not the only place where magic flows back to their side?

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

I think they're still separate universes, with their own flip sides where griffins live. So it's likely as well that Magus is part of a separate universe too rather than from the griffin's world. When we talk about Lord Tedd and Magus, that's dealing with alternate realities where Tedd and Elliot had different lives.

1 hour ago, Duke of Pretzels said:

This certainly explains much of what the griffins were talking about, but raises questions on the whole drain thing. Where does magic come in, if it goes out through moperville? Could the government build some sort of magic turbine? Have they done so already? If universes are the faces of a coin, what makes up the center? 

Just like Moperville is one of the drains there's likely multiple places where magic comes in, France could be one of those place, though France could also be a drain too. We could say that places where magic is elevated could be where the drains to the other world are located, whereas places that have some magic but dissipates relatively quickly could be where the magic flows in.

Also, I've changed my mind, Andrea is now Daniel Jackson. ;)

3 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:
42 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Okay, maybe there are some problems on their side, but I very much doubt that eventual extinction of magic users is one of them. Did you miss the part where I said that Andrea mentioned that Moperville is not the only place where magic flows back to their side?

For all the griffins know, this won't stop at Moperville. As I'm fairly sure it's Pandora doing this, and she probably doesn't need a world wide buildup of magic to achieve her goals, she probably won't clog up any of the other ones.

I was thinking on a more local scale for the magic extinction thing (wonderfully clear I know). If I'm right about Pandora, the worst case scenario there is probably a local magical deadzone. But we really don't know how many places there are that magic flows from one side to the other, or how much "area" they affect.

54 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

For all the griffins know, this won't stop at Moperville. As I'm fairly sure it's Pandora doing this, and she probably doesn't need a world wide buildup of magic to achieve her goals, she probably won't clog up any of the other ones.

I was thinking on a more local scale for the magic extinction thing (wonderfully clear I know). If I'm right about Pandora, the worst case scenario there is probably a local magical deadzone. But we really don't know how many places there are that magic flows from one side to the other, or how much "area" they affect.

I guess even though there are other places for magic to flow back into the griffin's half of the world, as long as there's a clog in Moperville causing magic to build up, there is less going back into the other half. Over time the amount of magic going back into their half will decrease because some magic will always try to flow through Moperville and get caught. Depending on where another drainage point is in the main eight's half, we could see magic energy running out in the griffin's half of the world. Heck, places in the main eight's half could even see decreases in magic levels as it would all be concentrating in the Moperville area.

2 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Hah, Elliot & Nanase's responses caught Andrea off guard.  Also, Andrea fighting to not go off the rails onto her theoretical tangents is pure, geeky awesome.

Andrea should meet Ted. They can get a theoretical tangent feedback loop going.
I've always thought Tess and Diane would get along quite well also.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I guess even though there are other places for magic to flow back into the griffin's half of the world, as long as there's a clog in Moperville causing magic to build up, there is less going back into the other half. Over time the amount of magic going back into their half will decrease because some magic will always try to flow through Moperville and get caught. Depending on where another drainage point is in the main eight's half, we could see magic energy running out in the griffin's half of the world. Heck, places in the main eight's half could even see decreases in magic levels as it would all be concentrating in the Moperville area.

....Well that could be horrifically bad. Then the question is what role does magic have in the world other than overt magic use? How would extremes of magic effect things?

On the other hand. The flows of magic might eventually adjust, with more flowing through the other "drains" and eventually acting like there was never one in Moperville to start with.

Maybe that's what the Disco Wizard meant by magic not wanting to become mainstream, it doesn't want one half of world holding a monopoly on magic. The implications of that would be even more horrifying if magic decides to do a system change, because it could very well affect both halves.

3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

On the other hand. The flows of magic might eventually adjust, with more flowing through the other "drains" and eventually acting like there was never one in Moperville to start with.

I agree. Remember, magic has a mind of its own (probably). I'm sure it would figure out how to restore the balance sooner or later.

2 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I agree. Remember, magic has a mind of its own (probably). I'm sure it would figure out how to restore the balance sooner or later.

I would think if it was that simple, magic would have done so already, either diverted the flow to say Detroit or Thunder Bay, or even create a new drain in Chicago. I'm guessing that magic, having a flair for the dramatic, also wants to see what the main eight does to fix this and is tossing hints here and there (via Disco Wizard) while munching on a bowl of popcorn. The system change would be a last resort if the main eight fails and/or things go too wildly out of hand.

By that description alone, it's pretty clear that magic is portrayed by Dan. ;)

As we don't have a "Wild Theories" thread in the new forums, yet, I am making a prediction here.

Unclogging the magic drain out of Moperville will force the reunion and reconciliation of Mrs Kitsune and Noriko Verres.

Just now, partner555 said:

Oh I see, the reason for the increase in ambient magic is because of the equivalent of a clogged pipe, but who clogged that pipe?

I'm pretty sure it's Pandora. I don't think it's been explicitly stated anywhere though