• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday December 2, 2016

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
4 hours ago, Gamma Emerald said:

I do hope "Jerry" clarifies.

Jerry is already invisible to the humans.  How could he be any more clear?

He's also invisible to other immortals, probably. If not, then that's how.

So it turns out New Jerry didn't know as much as some people may have expected. Now I'm really curious about how Diane and Susan really are related, if they are even related at all. It would make sense for them to be half-sisters, but maybe them both having an affinity for vampire hunting is just a pure coincidence. It's not like there aren't plenty of people in real life who look similar, but aren't related at all.

The only thing I do know for sure is that I'm certainly excited about where this is going. Maybe we'll get to find out more about Susan's father, at least.

55 minutes ago, banneret said:

At this point, even if they're not related, it isn't just about birth. The sister you make along the way matters as well, just ask Elliot.

It's true it's not about birth in case of Ellen, but she's definitely related.

2 hours ago, Purple Smart said:

Now I'm really curious about how Diane and Susan really are related, if they are even related at all. It would make sense for them to be half-sisters, but maybe them both having an affinity for vampire hunting is just a pure coincidence.

Also, Jerry not knowing anything opens the possibility of them being result of some magical duplication again. Or from different dimensions.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, Jerry not knowing anything opens the possibility of them being result of some magical duplication again. Or from different dimensions.

I kinda think Jerry could sense an extradimensional immigrant, since Immortals seem to travel freely between dimensions.

Say, why was Jerry at that party, anyway? Isn't he mostly hanging around Susan? Neither Nanase nor Ellen have told Susan about Diane, even her name, until now. The only reason I can justify to myself is that Jerry picked up on not-Tengu hanging around and decided to do something about it. Jerry would "remember" something about Nanase from the story of how Susan got her mark, and if he's been watching Susan for awhile, would have seen Susan with Nanase or at least heard them talking through web or phone.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

With a bit of a mind flip

You're into the time slip

And nothing will ever be the same

Unfortunately as time travel isn't possible in EGS, none of them would be able to do the time warp the first time let alone do it again. ;)

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Unfortunately as time travel isn't possible in EGS, none of them would be able to do the time warp the first time let alone do it again. ;)

Arguably with Sarah's 'timestop' spell's logic it's not impossible to have a suspiciously accurate simulation of the past while magic sneak edits the history books and fossil records and the wikis when nobody's checking. Less travelling through time and changing history, more magic having a sense of good humour about requests but being utterly terrified of the events that arise should paradoxes form.

There is evidence to suggest such paradoxes have already happened in gone timelines. After all, when was the last time anyone thought about towels in EGS? Totally not froody.

Seriously though you could probably find localised hacks through the EGSverse secret agency databases on time travel esque effects that do not involve actual time travel. Much like zombies, if you be loose on your definition of 'zombie', anything is possible.

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I kinda think Jerry could sense an extradimensional immigrant, since Immortals seem to travel freely between dimensions.

Do they? Voltaire likely only PRETENDED to travel from the other half of the Earth, and even if he really did, it may still be skill not all immortals have and/or not easy.

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Say, why was Jerry at that party, anyway? Isn't he mostly hanging around Susan? Neither Nanase nor Ellen have told Susan about Diane, even her name, until now. The only reason I can justify to myself is that Jerry picked up on not-Tengu hanging around and decided to do something about it. Jerry would "remember" something about Nanase from the story of how Susan got her mark, and if he's been watching Susan for awhile, would have seen Susan with Nanase or at least heard them talking through web or phone.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

I figure that Jerry was following Nanase on New Years Eve since he thought that it would be more interesting than watching movies with Susan and the rest of the Main Eight.

He vowed to Susan, but for something immortals did to BOTH of them, so it makes sense he would also follow Nanase. Also, yes, Susan didn't seem in any danger from watching movies. It's possible he checked Susan, then checked Nanase and noticed not Tengu.

1 hour ago, RainbowWizard said:

being utterly terrified of the events that arise should paradoxes form.

You mean events that would arise if that wouldn't caused them to prevent themselves in first place? (aka "of course it's utterly terrified and for good reason")

Seriously though you could probably find localised hacks through the EGSverse secret agency databases on time travel esque effects that do not involve actual time travel. Much like zombies, if you be loose on your definition of 'zombie', anything is possible.

Yup. 1) Predictions ; 2) Parallel dimensions resembling Earth in past / future ; 3) Pranks done by immortals.

while magic sneak edits the history books and fossil records and the wikis when nobody's checking

Unlikely. Stuff like this might look like good humour, but it wouldn't be fun to do unless you also consider accounting funny. Too much things can go wrong. Doing something like this would only be justifiable for disasters on level of magic reset, where it's worth it ... although, the way last magic reset was described, there were no editing related to that.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't think we have any evidence at all that immortals can travel between universes (other than the fact that they're super powerful and that traveling between universes is possible for mortals; it would make sense for them to have that power, and it wouldn't be surprising if they did, but we don't know that yet).  I don't think Voltaire ever even claimed to be from the other half.  (They can travel between planes, but I don't think that's the same thing.)

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

1. Nanase was part of the vow.
2. We don't know that he's spending most of his time hanging around Susan (or other people involved in the vow); he could spend most of his time doing other things unrelated to that vow (related to his own interests, or to other vows that aren't relevant to the plot), coming to Susan only when he thinks he's needed, and/or checking on her regularly.
3. He didn't necessarily figure it out at the party.  If he happened to see Diane at any point during the months between the vow and the party, and he noticed her magic affinity, he might have already had reason to believe they were related.  (For that matter, after the reset while looking for Susan to be her ally, he might have found Diane first and initially confused the two.)

1 hour ago, chridd said:

He didn't necessarily figure it out at the party.  If he happened to see Diane at any point during the months between the vow and the party, and he noticed her magic affinity, he might have already had reason to believe they were related.  (For that matter, after the reset while looking for Susan to be her ally, he might have found Diane first and initially confused the two.)

Him saying "for the same reasons Ellen and Nanase did" suggest he KNEW the same reasons, not just the magic affinity. On the other hand, yes he might've found both while looking for Susan (remember that he would KNOW Diane is the one with dark hair, so any initial confusion wouldn't be likely to last long) and based on them looking same and having same affinity he stayed around long enough to find when they were born, possibly hearing Susan talking about her birthday and Diane being forbidden going where she originally wanted to go ... therefore reaching the same conclusion based on same data sooner than Ellen and Nanase.

Or he was following Nanase and found out when Nanase found out. Both are possible.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:01 AM, CritterKeeper said:

My first reaction is that the ages are wrong, but I have seen plenty of aunts and uncles younger than their nieces and nephews.  My second was that I'm not anyone's aunt, but it then occurs to me that two different cousins are parents; isn't there some sort of  once-removed sort of qualification under which that would make me an auntie?

You can only be an aunt to someone who is your siblings' child. First cousins are people whose closest shared ancestor is one or more of both people's grandparents. Second cousins are people whose closest shared ancestor is one or more great-grandparents.

First cousins, once removed are people for whom their shared closest ancestor is the grandparent of one person and great-grandparent of the other. (if the second one is a great-great-grandparent, that's first cousins, twice removed.

Second cousins, once removed are people for whom their shared closest ancestor is the great-grandparent of one and great-great-grandparent of the other.

Etc.

However, who calls you auntie is entirely up to how the person views you even if technically you don't share and actual aunt/niece or aunt/nephew relationship. :)

Or to put it more simply: the *shortest* path to the most recent (in terms of number of generations, not necessarily time) common ancestor determines whether you are siblings, 1st cousins, second cousins, etc. The *difference* in path length adds the "removed" part.

34 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

So where does the term "Great Aunt" come in?

A.  It means you have a very high opinion of your aunt, or she has an inflated opinion of herself.

B.  According to the always reliable Wikipedia:  A grand-aunt (sometimes written as grand aunt, grandaunt, or great-aunt) is the sister, half- or step-sister, or sister-in-law of a grandparent. The male equivalent of an aunt is an uncle, and the reciprocal relationship is that of a nephew or niece.

Technically, Grand-Aunt is the correct term, with "Greats" showing additional levels of generational separation.  But in common usage, many English speakers skip the Grand and go straight to the Great.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Technically, Grand-Aunt is the correct term, with "Greats" showing additional levels of generational separation.  But in common usage, many English speakers skip the Grand and go straight to the Great.

Great-Aunt in terms of them being a sister to a Great-Grandparent is how I always saw it, but my Grandparent's sisters were all just Aunts as well as my Parent's sisters.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Great-Aunt in terms of them being a sister to a Great-Grandparent is how I always saw it, but my Grandparent's sisters were all just Aunts as well as my Parent's sisters.

Some families don't care that much, especially if it's about explaining to children. My grandma's sister was always just aunt as well.