• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday December 2, 2016

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

People DO happen to be extremely similar to each other, while being somewhat less closely related than half-sisters. The best example in my personal experience being cousins that could be mistaken for identical twins. (Well, actually, two of them were identical twins, but the third was a cousin.)

For that matter, Tina Fey looks enough like Sarah Palin that a silly (and geographically absurd) comment the former made as part of a comedy sketch was held against the latter.

Iv'e got two younger cousins (their parents are twins) who look very similar. Honestly, they look more similar than the actual twins (not their mothers, the older sisters of one of them).

5 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Alas for my lost youth. Vanished in the mists of Electric Light Orchestra's "Time."

Ah, ELO...One of the many bands I'd dearly love to have seen in concert.  I had little money for such things in the 70s and 80s and not everybody even came to town...

Dammit Jerry, pop back to the mortal plane and clear this misunderstanding!

6 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

It should be downright easy for Jerry to let them know about this - just pop in, say

"You ever hear the phrase 'band of brothers' or 'brothers in arms'? Since you and she have the same aptitude, I spoke in that sense. Sorry for the confusion."

OR:

"Actually, I thought identical twins, but that's been debunked, so I could be very wrong."

and follow either with:

"Though it would be worth getting a gene test, to put that question to rest."

Face (mostly) saved, the three let down gently, and the *important* truth is out.

"I'm immortal, not infallible"

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

And I suspect that Immortals have had enough bad reactions to suddenly popping into conversations, making it obvious that they've been eavesdropping, that they are pretty cautious about doing so.  How would you feel if someone you'd been talking about suddenly chirped up from a hidden microphone and speaker with the rebuttal to something you'd just said about them, reminding you that they could have hidden microphones and cameras on you all the time?

I think the fact that Jerry had vowed to be an ally to Susan and Nanase would be enough to make them believe that he'd be watching over them from time to time and may hear some of their conversations. Nanase might even be hoping that Jerry is nearby to chime in about this, though it's apparent not that she won't like what he would say.

To be honest, I can't really blame Jerry for a mistake like that, it certainly seems like he doesn't have the ability to magically confirm Susan and Diane are sisters. If he overheard Ellen and Nanase discussing it and if he was able to at least see Diane's affinity being the same as Susan's, it would have been a matter of "I'm not 100% sure she's Susan's sister, but there's too much evidence to suggest it that I can't take any chances of breaking my vow by not helping her."

The issue though, is him not saying so sooner, like before Nanase went to Edward about it.

Before Nanase went to Edward, he had no reason to think that he'd need to do anything else for them to learn the truth.  Edward would confirm that Susan was adopted and there's be no problem.  It wasn't until Edward said there was no chance Susan and Diane were twins that he'd have realized their assumptions were wrong, and he may not have been watching during that conversation, he might have been with Susan, or even Diane, instead.  This might be the first Jerry is hearing of Edward's info, too.  (And even if he was there, appearing in front of a DGB higher-up is likelya risky move, even for an Immortal....)

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I hope Jerry actually tells the girls this bit of info, instead of just hiding in the spirit plane out of fear. And then we would get to find out what he chose as his new name.

Betting it's Tom.

Jerry Jerry, I though better of you ...

15 hours ago, WR...S said:

...is there any reason for him not to tell them this directly?  Seems like it might be useful...

Fear?

On his place, I would immediately (well ... after they end this discussion) tried to verify that. He DOES have freedom of movement and observation ...

But admitting his mistake would also be good idea.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Did you see the look on Susan's face?  Nanase is a dangerous warrior and Susan can summon magic weapons.  If any humans can hurt an immortal who reset less than a year ago, it would be them.

14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I kind of think Helen and Demetrius are in more danger. Remember how pissed Nanase looked when she figured out they'd been manipulating Lady Andrea? Jerry was just trying to help.

Also, Jerry died properly. Helena and Demetrius might not remember stuff useful for selfdefense.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

isn't there some sort of  once-removed sort of qualification under which that would make me an auntie?

Who's got whom removed? :)

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

How would you feel if someone you'd been talking about suddenly chirped up from a hidden microphone and speaker with the rebuttal to something you'd just said about them, reminding you that they could have hidden microphones and cameras on you all the time?

I'm not sure if it's that much worse than when you talk about someone and he's behind you.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Will PharaohRutinTutin's pyramid mortgage be foreclosed?

When you finance your retirement condo with a 30 century mortgage, you take certain precautions.
Since the mortgage was owned by the bank (specifically the east bank of the Nile) I just needed to remind the loan arranger (and Tonto) that I owned the entire Nile.  Both banks and the mosquitos included.
So if you check the financial statements, I have been my best banking customer.

I though best way to get your finance in order would be to remind them you own the entire Nile including the crocodiles.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yes, Susan's angst-induced Awakening did cause her hair to go permanently dark-blue, although I've never really understood why -- the hair coloring was related to her father's cheating, nothing to do with the incident in France.  However, in this world that is officially recognized by the medical authorities as something that can happen spontaneously, so at most they might be curious to see whether Diane would show any tendency to the same phenomena.

As for the height, if Diane was in a different environment, at a different nutritional plane, that might explain the height difference at first glance.  If they looked close enough to see that Susan had a late growth spurt Diane did not, they might start theorizing about hormone exposures in Susan's environment, from plastics to a close contact using transdermal hormone creams.

The hair color wouldn't be issue especially considering 1) that they can tell doctor it was just color for long time 2) I'm not sure if Susan mentioned it's no longer color even to her mom ...

40 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Before Nanase went to Edward, he had no reason to think that he'd need to do anything else for them to learn the truth.  Edward would confirm that Susan was adopted and there's be no problem.  It wasn't until Edward said there was no chance Susan and Diane were twins that he'd have realized their assumptions were wrong, and he may not have been watching during that conversation, he might have been with Susan, or even Diane, instead.  This might be the first Jerry is hearing of Edward's info, too.  (And even if he was there, appearing in front of a DGB higher-up is likelya risky move, even for an Immortal....)

I agree that he might not be around that conversation, possibly even BECAUSE he though he won't need to be there because Edward can protect them. If he WOULD be there, he would have option to just appear before Nanase between those two conversations.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I though best way to get your finance in order would be to remind them you own the entire Nile including the crocodiles.

Actually this is something you normally do not want to draw attention to. There is a number of crocodile-related insurance claims every year and if the insurance companies were to see a way to pin them on the Pharaoh they wouldn't hesitate a moment.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:
4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually this is something you normally do not want to draw attention to. There is a number of crocodile-related insurance claims every year and if the insurance companies were to see a way to pin them on the Pharaoh they wouldn't hesitate a moment.

I didn't though insurance companies are that brave.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yes, Susan's angst-induced Awakening did cause her hair to go permanently dark-blue, although I've never really understood why -- the hair coloring was related to her father's cheating, nothing to do with the incident in France.  However, in this world that is officially recognized by the medical authorities as something that can happen spontaneously, so at most they might be curious to see whether Diane would show any tendency to the same phenomena.

Old Jerry said it was magic's flair for the dramatic and the fact that there was a significant reason Susan dyed her hair that was why it went permanently dark blue. It could also be that Susan's angst during that moment was causing her to undergo a transformation that was halted part way through by Jerry's serenity spell so only the hair and clothes had been affected. I don't think that would happen to Diane because she doesn't dye her hair, but...if she does still do that henna stuff on her arm, that could create some funky effects during an angst-induced awakening.

NN1    0

I think Jerry will be reluctant (read scared bleep-less) to become visible and reveal that he doesn't have special insight. He'll probably try to rationalize not having to come forward, but his vow will compel him possibly after someone vocalizes a wish that they could ask him about it, but not necessarily. Susan can be terrifying, even if she might not have the power to actually hurt him (which isn't something we can say for sure, since he is about at his weakest).

DNA sequencing is an expensive process, but testing paternity can be done with equipment you can find in a high school bio lab. A true paternity test would need a sample of daddy's DNA, but you would at least be able to tell if Diane and Susan are closely related with a similar test, even without the paternal sample. Identical DNA would be easy to determine. A paternity test that would hold up in court would cost a few hundred dollars, but retail tests can $30. Magical methods, or the scanner they use for the TF gun might work as well. I don't think DNA tests will be necessary, but they aren't out of the realm of possibility.

The whole Diane/Susan thing sounds in part to have been influenced by magic or potentially a magical entity. 10 minutes before and after the start of a new year seems like the sort of "flair for the dramatic" that magic loves. With that sort of weirdness, Their dads could have been identical twins, de-switchery diamond clones, or something equally preposterous.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I've never really understood why -- the hair coloring was related to her father's cheating, nothing to do with the incident in France

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Old Jerry said it was magic's flair for the dramatic and the fact that there was a significant reason Susan dyed her hair that was why it went permanently dark blue.

The reason why she awakened was basically "everything is against me - not only father and vampires, but even the hammers". So there is connection to father.

undergo a transformation that was halted part way through by Jerry's serenity spell so only the hair and clothes had been affected.

I think that even without the serenity spell, the other changes - like dark sclera (the "white" of the eye) and scars on face - would be temporary.

if she does still do that henna stuff on her arm, that could create some funky effects during an angst-induced awakening.

... what henna?

3 minutes ago, NN1 said:

Magical methods, or the scanner they use for the TF gun might work as well.

I would definitely like answer to the question if the TF gun scanner works on genetic level.

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... what henna?

The black bands she had on her upper arm when we first saw her, it doesn't look like she has them anymore which suggests they weren't real tattoos, thought we don't know for sure.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:
51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... what henna?

The black bands she had on her upper arm when we first saw her, it doesn't look like she has them anymore which suggests they weren't real tattoos, thought we don't know for sure.

That's not bracelet?

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

My first reaction is that the ages are wrong, but I have seen plenty of aunts and uncles younger than their nieces and nephews.  My second was that I'm not anyone's aunt, but it then occurs to me that two different cousins are parents; isn't there some sort of  once-removed sort of qualification under which that would make me an auntie?

Well, no matter what, can't blame a guy for wishful thinking, can you? :danshiftyeyes:

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Jerry is already invisible to the humans.  How could he be any more clear?

*grabs the List*

*flips to Pharaoh's listing*

*finds several very full pages*

*can't find room for any more marks or symbols*

*shrugs and puts a note on a Post-It stuck on his last page*

*puts list back*