• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Wednesday December 7, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=548

Saved (kinda?) by Papa Kitsune. Though I doubt Akiko is going to forget about this.

Also, I'm with Papa Kitsune, an 8 year old that only just wants one cookie?!?

Wait...That explains why Akiko runs the Dread Gazebo!!! Always giving other people goodies rather than wanting them for herself!

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Saved (kinda?) by Papa Kitsune. Though I doubt Akiko is going to forget about this.

Well, she won't do anything with that for several months. But it's not like she's free to stalk people ... her options to do anything with this information are mostly limited to "telling Nanase".

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Agree. Extremely weird. And if it's Japan think, why is Mr. Kitsune talking Japanese? So probably weird even for Japan.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Agree. Extremely weird. And if it's Japan think, why is Mr. Kitsune talking Japanese? So probably weird even for Japan.

Oh come on. That was never Japanese, that was Tagalog. Couldn't you tell from the brackets? :demonicduck:

More fuel for high weirdness plot stuff later.  And by later I mean in the current story line.
The important question is who said "magic lady" or was it Akiko's though bubble? We know, if it was spoken Akiko heard it. Either way leads to strangeness. Strangeness in EGS is good.

So does this mean that Akiko will begin her own meddling kid type investigation into the magic mall lady?  He own voyage of discovery and introspection that will lead to her own magic?

I was thinking that this might send her back to the Disney Vault for another princess movie.  But while there are a lot of princesses affected by magic, they really don't use their own magic.  Oh where will she find a magical girl to act as role model for her if Uncle Walt will not provide?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Wait...That explains why Akiko runs the Dread Gazebo!!! Always giving other people goodies rather than wanting them for herself!

Trouble is that Akiko needs to first collect the many cookies before she can give them out.  Yes Akiko, practice self-restraint when eating the cookies.  But you must gather them greedily now so that you may give them freely later.

Maybe I shouldn't rely on an eight year old girl to keep all the guests fed by sneaking in treats from the neighbors.  I suppose I could just call Marzipan of Moperville and have them deliver a gross of assorted confections to the Dread Gazebo on the days Akiko is minding the desert table.

One other thing.  Looking at the linked old comic, does Mr Kitsune seem to have more than a passing resemblance to Edward Verres?  I wonder if there are other similarities that attracted both Noriko and her sister?

Three cookies?!? And they are homemade?!? Sign me up!

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh come on. That was never Japanese, that was Tagalog. Couldn't you tell from the brackets? :demonicduck:

I dunno with Regent... :P But yeah, the less people know about cookies, the better. 

I was actually wondering what Akiko was doing on her own in the mall. Turns out she wasn't actually on her own, which does make sense.

8 Years old and only wants one cookie? I can accept magic and space whales in a story, but this is straining my suspension of disbelief. :)

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

The important question is who said "magic lady" or was it Akiko's though bubble?

I'm pretty sure It's meant to be Akiko's thoughtbubble, or rather her thought caption (warning: tv tropes link). She may look as if she is listening to someone in the third panel, but I think she is just looking back at Rhoda. Granted, this is merely my interpretation and I know only too well how faulty it can be.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

One other thing.  Looking at the linked old comic, does Mr Kitsune seem to have more than a passing resemblance to Edward Verres?  I wonder if there are other similarities that attracted both Noriko and her sister?

Well, there's also this sketchbook, and while everyone in it is genderswapped, "Mrs" Kitsune looks undeniably asian in the eyes. It's much harder to tell in the linked story comic though.

On the bright side, with TWO faces to remember at once, and only seeing them for a short while, Akiko might not be able to remember WHO the magic lady is until she sees her again, which could be quite a while.

Oh, who am I kidding. What hijinks is Akiko going to cause, I wonder... (or hope)

2 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

On the bright side, with TWO faces to remember at once, and only seeing them for a short while, Akiko might not be able to remember WHO the magic lady is until she sees her again, which could be quite a while.

Oh, who am I kidding. What hijinks is Akiko going to cause, I wonder... (or hope)

You are jumping the gun. Akiko is a sensible girl and perfectly well knows that proper hijinks require a certain amount of preparatory lowjinks and midjinks.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Maybe Papa Kitsune is indulgent because Mama Kitsune is strict...

<psych> I do not think it is causation. Maybe they just are. But as I note, Papa Kitsune is permissive indulgent, Mama Kitsune is authoritative. </psych>

And why does that drive my need for more backstory about the parents of Moperville?

On 12/07/2016 at 7:38 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I was thinking that this might send her back to the Disney Vault for another princess movie.  But while there are a lot of princesses affected by magic, they really don't use their own magic.  Oh where will she find a magical girl to act as role model for her if Uncle Walt will not provide?

You obviously missed Frozen. It's true that Elsa is technically queen, but I'm sure she counts. Also, she had magic even as princess.

On 12/07/2016 at 9:16 AM, Tom Sewell said:

So far none of you have mentioned the most astounding feature of this strip:

MR. KITSUNE SPOKE!!!

But note that he apparently used so much power on it he wasn't able to also SHOW.

On 12/07/2016 at 0:06 PM, Sweveham said:
On 12/07/2016 at 7:11 AM, mlooney said:

The important question is who said "magic lady" or was it Akiko's though bubble?

I'm pretty sure It's meant to be Akiko's thoughtbubble, or rather her thought caption (warning: tv tropes link). She may look as if she is listening to someone in the third panel, but I think she is just looking back at Rhoda. Granted, this is merely my interpretation and I know only too well how faulty it can be.

I agree with that interpretation.

On 12/07/2016 at 2:59 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We know PCR Box is in the mall observing the shenanigans.

Could she have "guided" Akiko into a position to see the transformation

Yes.

On 12/07/2016 at 2:59 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

and then whisper "Magic Lady" directly to the Kitsune cub?

... technically yes, but I don't think that happened, nor is that her style.

1 hour ago, Stature said:
3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Maybe Papa Kitsune is indulgent because Mama Kitsune is strict...

<psych> I do not think it is causation. Maybe they just are. But as I note, Papa Kitsune is permissive indulgent, Mama Kitsune is authoritative. </psych>

And why does that drive my need for more backstory about the parents of Moperville?

Considering fans also called for backstory for PHILL, who only appeared on one frame, how could it not?

On 12/6/2016 at 9:10 PM, Scotty said:

The Mrs. Fields' cookie place at my local mall sells cookies that are the size of the average medium pizza. Anyone wishing to consume the entire cookie in a single serving would require a Nanase-sized appetite.

19 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The Mrs. Fields' cookie place at my local mall sells cookies that are the size of the average medium pizza. Anyone wishing to consume the entire cookie in a single serving would require a Nanase-sized appetite.

Plus, in my opinion, Mrs. Fields' Cookies suck rocks.  Akiko is used to quality home made cookies, so she may share my objectively rational and reasonable thoughts on the quality of mall cookies.

26 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Grace would likely accept that challenge.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Akiko is used to quality home made cookies, so she may share my objectively rational and reasonable thoughts on the quality of mall cookies.

We don't know if the cookies Mr. Kitsune talked about were bought, made by Mrs. Kitsune or made by Mr. Kitsune ...

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We don't know if the cookies Mr. Kitsune talked about were bought, made by Mrs. Kitsune or made by Mr. Kitsune

This is true, I was just expanding on my feelings towards the cardboard that mall "cookies" tend to be.