• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Wednesday December 7, 2016

55 minutes ago, mlooney said:

This is true, I was just expanding on my feelings towards the cardboard that mall "cookies" tend to be.

Back in High School, the cafeteria sold 25cent cookies that were like they were barely in the oven, they just barely passed as cookies as opposed to cookie shaped dough chunks. :)

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Back in High School, the cafeteria sold 25cent cookies that were like they were barely in the oven, they just barely passed as cookies as opposed to cookie shaped dough chunks. :)

You say this like it's a bad thing...

My experience with homemade cookies has been entirely poor when not even worse, as nobody in my family (myself included) has been able to produce any that were edible to any degree.

17 minutes ago, ijuin said:

My experience with homemade cookies has been entirely poor when not even worse, as nobody in my family (myself included) has been able to produce any that were edible to any degree.

Nanase obviously thinks they are good.  Fear of losing them was a high priority at one time.

27 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Does following the directions on a bag of Chocolate chips count as "home-made" cookies?

Absolutely!  Doesn't matter where you got the recipe from, if it involves mixing flour, sugar, baking soda and/or powder, and using a mixer (or a lot of hand stirring, I suppose), it counts as homemade in my book.

30 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Does following the directions on a bag of Chocolate chips count as "home-made" cookies?

As far as I go, the canonical chocolate chip cookie recipe is the Nestle Toll House Cookie recipe.  All other chocolate chip cookies are scored based on how far they differ from the source of all goodness, as handed down to us by Ruth Graves Wakefield in 1938
It is important to note, as this is one of the cases of later day revelation, that one must be true to the revelation and not taken by the false heresy of margarine instead of the revealed truth of butter.

Given that to this day, the reveled truth is printed on the vessel of the chips of semi-sweetness, yes, that, does, in fact, count as home made.  In fact, it is the very essence of home made Chocolate Chip Cookies.

6 minutes ago, ijuin said:

What about recipes that predate Toll House?

Those would be Older Revelation Cookies, which while worth of study and eating by all the rightest, are not of the current revelation.  Unto us the cookie was given, we shall eat the cookie.

I'm only slightly joking about the near religious feelings about Toll House Cookies.

11 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ok, but seriously, I don't like the idea of tossing out Grandma's recipe just because she came up with it in the 1920s or whatever.

I think it's only chocolate chip cookies that mlooney is arguing there is One True Recipe, and that is because there *are* no older recipes for them -- they were *invented* by the owner of the Toll House Inn.

43 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ok, but seriously, I don't like the idea of tossing out Grandma's recipe just because she came up with it in the 1920s or whatever.

I did say that the Older Revelation was worthy of the rightest to both study and eat...

29 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think it's only chocolate chip cookies that mlooney is arguing there is One True Recipe, and that is because there *are* no older recipes for them -- they were *invented* by the owner of the Toll House Inn.

Wait.  Are you saying that there are cookies that Aren't Chocolate Chip?  That is unpossible!!!

That depends on how loosely one defines "chocolate chips". There were certainly no pre-formed tiny conical droplets of chocolate purpose-made to be chips before Toll House, but cookies with pieces of chocolate melted inside or on top did exist here and there under different names.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually toll house cookies were invented by Hershey's as a way to sell the drippings left over from candy bar production.

Problem with that idea is that you use semisweet chocolate for cooking.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Are you saying that there are cookies that Aren't Chocolate Chip?  That is unpossible!!!

If I am not mistaken, true human history did not begin until the mighty trinity of Hershey, Nestle, and Mars had given their teachings and their recipes to humanity.  Everything before the great dawn of Chocolate was an imperfect or embryonic civilization.