• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
jmucchiello

Forum officialness

50 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

That's strange.  We seem to be doing OK for ourselves...

I think a POLITE nudge to Dan might be in order....

I asked Dan about this stuff.  Got this reply.

The forums will remain so long as 910CMX people keep them up, but I do feel like it's a problem for me to continue to link it there in an official capacity and when I have so little connection there. Something could be seriously wrong in a malicious manner, and I'd only know about it if someone decided to tell me.

I actually only found out about the most recent "always wind up back at the front page" issue this morning because someone on Facebook asked about it, and I still haven't heard anything back from 910CMX people yet about what happened. I need more than that if I'm going to present them as the official forums and direct people to them.

Again, though, I don't intend to say "no, you can't have those forums anymore". My concerns are about my responsibility when linking them in an official capacity, and whether the 910CMX people themselves really want to keep it going (I assume they do, based on past interactions).
cleardot.gif

Meh.  Some one needs to make sure it's in TVTropes.   If it doesn't show up in a couple of days I'll chunk it in when I do my next raid.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

That's strange.  We seem to be doing OK for ourselves...

Dan may still feel unhappy about the Bad OId Days and he has every reason to be suspicious. I had hoped he might one day decide to peek in here again but it seems not. I cannot blame him. *sigh*

He did update the "Extras" section, so that is a start.

Until it is proven why, I can see why 910 became such a klutz - bluish text area. That, and they forgot to clear the cache.

I'm concerned about this shift, though I have long felt that EGS should have a dedicated, independent forum which is tailored to the community. This is the only forum I visit, and I seldom use the various "social media" platforms, because they are all unsuited for conversation. Indeed, the centralization of communication has had no real benefits in my opinion, the quality of discourse has dropped for almost all subjects as they've moved from traditional forums to platforms like Reddit, Tumblr, and Facebook - and without any sort of focus, shallow and fleeting participation has become the norm.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Dan may still feel unhappy about the Bad OId Days and he has every reason to be suspicious. I had hoped he might one day decide to peek in here again but it seems not. I cannot blame him. *sigh*

Agreed I don't blame him, I missed the mess here but I have been part of a Forum that went toxic and being from a family prone to mental illness & filled with artists I can understand his feelings on that sorta event with him as the focus somewhat. Not completely mind you but somewhat.

1 hour ago, banneret said:

I'm concerned about this shift, though I have long felt that EGS should have a dedicated, independent forum which is tailored to the community.

Unfortunately, it seems more like he doesn't plan any official forum.

1 hour ago, banneret said:

Indeed, the centralization of communication has had no real benefits in my opinion, the quality of discourse has dropped for almost all subjects as they've moved from traditional forums to platforms like Reddit, Tumblr, and Facebook - and without any sort of focus, shallow and fleeting participation has become the norm.

Also, the history sort of disappears, buried under new stuff. Actually, it tends to be hard to find here as well. I think it's optimal if there is link from every comics to the forum specifically about that comics ... which would obviously be time consuming for Dan with current CMX system, suggesting we really need something different.

2 hours ago, Stature said:

I can see why 910 became such a klutz - bluish text area. That, and they forgot to clear the cache.

Yeah, I speculated in the shiveapedia forum that the admins might have been tweaking things and something got goofed.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, Stature said:

I can see why 910 became such a klutz - bluish text area. That, and they forgot to clear the cache.

Yeah, I speculated in the shiveapedia forum that the admins might have been tweaking things and something got goofed.

Note that using shiveapedia forum will likely be worse. Also, Shiveapedia is not linked from comics either, unfortunately.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Note that using shiveapedia forum will likely be worse. Also, Shiveapedia is not linked from comics either, unfortunately.

Yeah, I know.

I also noticed that when selecting specific text in a post to quote, the "quote this" button that appears is in white text with no black backing like it had before.

54 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I also noticed that when selecting specific text in a post to quote, the "quote this" button that appears is in white text with no black backing like it had before.

The CSS for the colors is, well, weird.  Of course that has always been the case with this version of the forum.  That's why edit text was white on white.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How will we lure new victims without leaving them that trail of breadcrumbs?

Hence my comment about TVTropes.

21 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Odd, I see mine.  Let me try doing it again

Huh.  Turns out everyones' are visible on the mobile site, it's only the Desktop site that they're missing on.  But yes, yours is showing up on both now.

Edit: spoke too soon, the others have stopped showing up on mobile as well as desktop.  Maybe I just had them cached until now?

13 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I have no problems with mine. Weird.

I'm not seeing yours right now.  (7:40 AM, CST) on o mobile device.

As I mentioned in an edit, I suspect they may have shown up initially due to still being present in caching at some level.

Given that both default profile images and re-uploaded profile images work fine, but others display as alt-text, I suspect that the profile-image storage directory/database/whatever iPB uses may have been moved/renamed/deleted (as in the images or the references were changed, but not both).