• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Pinup Single Dec 8 2016 - Sarah

IIRC it's Sarah playing around with her "timestop" Mark, hence the hovering soda cup.  Presumably she's teaching herself how to alter her environment in the spell, starting with herself.

This one really kicks my hormones into overdrive.  The intellectual, self reflexive part of me looks over at my libido and says "Most men seemed wired to like more skin showing.  Shouldn't you?" to which my libido replies "I like what I like.  Bugger anybody else's opinion".

There's a reason some people call them "sweater stuffers" (or sweater muffins, sweater puppies, or sweater whatever)--said folks enjoy the sight of how they fill out a soft and stretchy garment such as a sweater or other knit top . . .

Also, the other girl has neat hair, boob references aside.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

IIRC it's Sarah playing around with her "timestop" Mark, hence the hovering soda cup.  Presumably she's teaching herself how to alter her environment in the spell, starting with herself.

Explained in text of that image, yes.

10 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Agree. We need to name her and request her joining main cast :)

15 minutes ago, ijuin said:

There's a reason some people call them "sweater stuffers" (or sweater muffins, sweater puppies, or sweater whatever)--said folks enjoy the sight of how they fill out a soft and stretchy garment such as a sweater or other knit top . . .

That would be me too then.  :)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Agree. We need to name her and request her joining main cast :)

My head canon is she works at a store in the same strip mall as The Tea Shoppe

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

According to the text, this is sorta kinda canon.

Considering Sarah needs to use the spell often for the next week, I can totally see this happening, though I doubt Dan will actually show us in comic.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

She looks like if Ellen had gone all out in making her own identity. Like "If I got a few piercings, dyed part of my hair a different shade, no one would think I look like Elliot."

I just noticed the girl's hairstyle is very similar to the hairstyle the far right mannequin at the mall had.

np20161121-Escape-33_BG.png

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah...

Casting your spell is what burns up the most magic.

Playing around in your simulated world means the amount of time you perceive while doing this job will just drag on that much longer.

But boobs man, boobs.  Isn't that important? 

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Casting your spell is what burns up the most magic.

Playing around in your simulated world means the amount of time you perceive while doing this job will just drag on that much longer.

... if you consider playing around in simulation "job" ...

On 12/8/2016 at 4:13 PM, Stature said:

She might or might not have tried because of the waitress.

Next task: swap the cups :demonicduck:

She's already working on swapping the cup sizes.

I've sometimes thought that being able to experience being in a modified body temporarily would be a great way to motivate people in physical therapy, dieting, strength training, etc.  Imagine someone who has been heavy all their life getting to feel what it would be like to be thin.  Not just how it would look, but how easy it would be to walk, bend, climb stairs, etc.  I think that's something that would be a great mitivator!  Or someone considering getting a new prosthetic could try out different versions, and see which would work best for them, rather than go to all the trouble and expense only to find there's some hidden flaw that makes their choice a poor one for their individual body.

So far, 3-D modeling seems to be the closest we can get on the prosthesis one.  I'd love to see someone use the sort of science-based computer modeling they use to age-progress missing children, to show people how they would actually look after a significant weight loss, but that's the closest I can see us coming to the Sarah sort of experience in the foreseeable future.

Man, now I'm really hoping Sarah gets the ability to bring other people into her simulation eventually.

17 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The sad part about obesity is that the best cure for it (i.e. exercise) is exactly the thing that the obesity itself makes more difficult.

And that TPTB continue to treat it as a moral failing instead of a medical condition.  If a drug had as poor a success rate as "Tell the patient they need to lose weight" then it would never make it past even the initial stages of getting approved.  And yet that continues to be the best modern medicine has to offer.

5 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

And that TPTB continue to treat it as a moral failing instead of a medical condition.  If a drug had as poor a success rate as "Tell the patient they need to lose weight" then it would never make it past even the initial stages of getting approved.  And yet that continues to be the best modern medicine has to offer.

There are ways to make people lose weight, however there really aren't enough drill sergeants to go around for that mission.  Actually, the DS just make you lose the weight, it's the 1st Sergeants and Sergeant Majors that make you keep it off.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

There are ways to make people lose weight, however there really aren't enough drill sergeants to go around for that mission.  Actually, the DS just make you lose the weight, it's the 1st Sergeants and Sergeant Majors that make you keep it off.

That sort of rapid forced weight loss is neither healthy nor effective.  Sure, extreme conditions can make people lose weight, but as soon as you take away those extreme conditions, the body is very effective at getting itself back to what it thinks it should be.  Exercising five hours a day might get you in great shape, but who actually has time to spend that much time, every day, day in and day out, for the rest of their lives?  Likewise extreme calorie restriction can cause weight loss, but the body sends floods of neurotransmitters and hormones to the brain, increasing appetite to starving-to-death levels, slowing metabolism to hold on to every calorie it can, and it does not stop -- even a full year later.  Imagine starving to death for over a year, with a feast right there in front of you and only your own willpower to stop you from filling your aching belly.  All day, every day, without cease.  No wonder most weight loss studies that carry on for more than a few months show very little long-term change.

And all to correct an inborn error in their metabolism that is extremely genetically determined.  We're talking about twin studies, adoption studies, etc showing that body condition is on par with height in how heritable it is.  People studying obesity have tried to make naturally thin people fat, even temporarily, and have found that forcing a healthy-weight person to gain more than about twenty pounds or ten percent takes measures just as extreme as forcing an obese person to lose that much weight, and keeping that change is just as difficult, too.  For "normal" people, twenty pounds makes a visible difference; for someone not so lucky in their genes, the difference between 260 and 280 isn't really all that great, so they can do just as well at losing weight as the "normal" person, and still be obese.

Hypothyroidism can cause severe weight gain.  We figured out what wasn't working and found a way to fix it, with replacement hormone therapy.  We're starting to treat mental conditons like Depression as medical conditions, instead of just telling people to "cheer up" or "snap out of it," because people started researching and treating them as illnesses instead of moral failings.  We now know of a whole bunch of other metabolic disruptions causing weight gain, but they are much more complicated, involving interactions between hormones and causing all sorts of changes in the brain.  It will take a lot more research to figure out how to fix these medical problems.  Yet research into curing obesity is chronically underfunded and ignored.

You lose the weight in Basic via Drill sergeants.

You keep it off by having your 1st sergeant have you do physical training every @#$Q@$% morning.

Of course we are talking a population that classifies any one over 40 as "really damn old", so there is that.  Which does tend to limit the application to the rest of the population.

The funniest thing about weight loss as a medical treatment is that a weight loss drug that worked on the majority of people would be literally the most lucrative drug ever created, yet not very much money is being spent on discovering such a drug by pharmaceutical companies compared to the potential revenue. Imagine being able to charge a thousand bucks a year for a drug to treat a condition that literally a third of the nation suffer from--that's 100 billion a year from just the one drug.

24 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The funniest thing about weight loss as a medical treatment is that a weight loss drug that worked on the majority of people would be literally the most lucrative drug ever created, yet not very much money is being spent on discovering such a drug by pharmaceutical companies compared to the potential revenue. Imagine being able to charge a thousand bucks a year for a drug to treat a condition that literally a third of the nation suffer from--that's 100 billion a year from just the one drug.

Heck, they could probably get a thousand bucks a month, and the insurance companies would even pay it, happily, because it would reduce the incidence of so many other diseases that they'd end up saving money.

$1k a month per each obese person would come close to outweighing the entire medical industry and would bankrupt the entire economy--we're approaching ten percent of the total national GDP at that point.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Likewise extreme calorie restriction can cause weight loss, but the body sends floods of neurotransmitters and hormones to the brain, increasing appetite to starving-to-death levels, slowing metabolism to hold on to every calorie it can, and it does not stop -- even a full year later.  Imagine starving to death for over a year, with a feast right there in front of you and only your own willpower to stop you from filling your aching belly.  All day, every day, without cease.  No wonder most weight loss studies that carry on for more than a few months show very little long-term change.

"Very little long-term change"? That's better that I assumed. I though usually the long-term change is NEGATIVE, because the body keeps slower metabolism even if you STOP with the calorie restriction.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

"Very little long-term change"? That's better that I assumed. I though usually the long-term change is NEGATIVE, because the body keeps slower metabolism even if you STOP with the calorie restriction.

Well we're running on an ancient design spec. While our brains has evolved the base OS is still the same that we were running back in the stone age. Some of the parameters are that high energy food is good. So fat and sugar tickles our pleasure center, giving us incentive to find more of that "good stuff".

Dieting is dicey as most diets I've heard of will starve you to some degree. When you starve the caveman part of your brain concludes that there is some kind of crisis. You might be wounded and unable to scavenge for food, or it's dry season and the animals has moved to greener pastures. Whatever the case you are getting to few calories so you have to use less energy. First step is to burn muscle tissue. Muscles are energy hogs, and right now your body thinks that conserving energy is more important than maintaining muscle tone, so the muscles are broken down and used for energy. Fat on the other hand consumes very little energy to maintain, and once your excessive muscle tissue has been eliminated the energy rich fat tissue can keep you alive for a long time, hopefully until you've healed up, the rains come, or autumn comes and you can start scavenging for food again...

This was a fine survival strategy when we were living in caves, but with night open supermarkets and McDonalds at every other corner fat and sugar are far from being scarce, and when we cut down on the calories we want to retain as much muscle tissue as possible and burn fat instead, something our inner caveman just doesn't understand.

As I see it any diet that drastically cuts the calorie intake risks triggering our caveman survival mode. Running and aerobic exercises combined with moderating the calorie intake slightly will work, but takes a lot of time and if you cut down on the exercises you are are likely to gain all the weight back again. An alternative is to build muscles as a complement to some aerobic training. Actually you will need some aerobics for the strength training to be effective.

There are several good arguments for pumping some iron. The increased energy consumption even when sleeping is one. Another is that once you've increased your muscle mass you can cut back a bit on the training without loosing those muscles again. You can't stop training, but cutting back a bit is doable. Then there's the fact that if you are obese you NEED some muscle just to move better. And finally there's been research done that contrary to popular belief muscle heads are less likely to contract age related diseases than those who putts all their energy in aerobic exercises. So according to statistics marathon runners are actually dying off quicker than the gym rats. Never would have thought that myself.

Now everything in moderation, that's a good rule to live by. If you go over the top with any training it's not healthy. If you start eating protein powders, carbohydrate loading, or even steroids odds are you're no longer training to improve your health, you're doing it for other reasons.

Sorry if it turned into a rant...

37 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Well we're running on an ancient design spec. While our brains has evolved the base OS is still the same that we were running back in the stone age.

Our brains might evolved from stone age but not from bronze age. It's just the brain content which got upgraded. And, yes, the base OS is still the same.

This was a fine survival strategy when we were living in caves, but with night open supermarkets and McDonalds at every other corner fat and sugar are far from being scarce, and when we cut down on the calories we want to retain as much muscle tissue as possible and burn fat instead, something our inner caveman just doesn't understand.

Also, our survival depends more on brain than on muscles. Caveman wouldn't survive 10 minutes in city traffic. But brain can't run on fat, it needs sugar.

As I see it any diet that drastically cuts the calorie intake risks triggering our caveman survival mode. Running and aerobic exercises combined with moderating the calorie intake slightly will work, but takes a lot of time and if you cut down on the exercises you are are likely to gain all the weight back again. An alternative is to build muscles as a complement to some aerobic training. Actually you will need some aerobics for the strength training to be effective.

Running is good: "Hey, inner caveman: the animals got faster. You need to build more muscles so we can catch them."

There are several good arguments for pumping some iron.

Comic--pump-iron.jpg

Then there's the fact that if you are obese you NEED some muscle just to move better.

Push-up is a typical example of exercise with feedback: the more fat you have, the more you exercise when you do the same number of push-ups.

Now everything in moderation, that's a good rule to live by. If you go over the top with any training it's not healthy.

I don't think I will have problem with that. :) Unless the experts behind the most successful aerobic training game - Pokemon Go - got something even better for anaerobic :)

36 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

And finally there's been research done that contrary to popular belief muscle heads are less likely to contract age related diseases than those who putts all their energy in aerobic exercises.

Remember that anything which happens after the age of 50 is random. We did not evolved to survive beyond 50. If we would, we would have third teeth for example. And 50 might even be too optimistic ... woman get menopause when they do because so few survived that long (and that many pregnancies) it didn't matter.