• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Friday December 9, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2285

Susan doesn't necessarily resent Diane for (possibly) being the product of her father's cheating, but I can see it making things awkward.

Nice to know Ellen remembers what Elliot had said a few weeks earlier. That helps put things into better perspective.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2285

Susan doesn't necessarily resent Diane for (possibly) being the product of her father's cheating, but I can see it making things awkward.

Nice to know Ellen remembers what Elliot had said a few weeks earlier. That helps put things into better perspective.

That was one of Elliot's finest moments to me. I am glad to see it being called back to.

So it looks like Susan's going to try to develop a relationship with Diane while keeping it secret from her mother. Oh, that should be easy.

Speaking of Susan's mom, we've only seen her on two occasions: 

There's quite a difference between these two views of Mrs. Pompoms, and I'm not talking about The Shive's drawing style. In the flashback, Mrs. Pompoms is very much in charge of herself and pretty much everyone else who encounters her. But two years later, she's in her bathrobe early in the evening and doesn't seem to be willing to put down her drink.

I suggested before that the drinking might be a response to Susan resembling the Other Woman more and more as she matures. But the earlier strip is from thirteen years ago, so The Shive's conception of Susan's mom might have evolved in the seven years between that strip and the flashback. And we don't know if Mrs. Pompoms ever met the Other Woman or even knows what she looked like. However, Mrs. Pompoms keeping Susan's adoption a secret from her does sort of fit the EGS tradition of everyone having a secret or three to keep.

Another thought: Mrs. Pompoms must have some kind of relationship with Mrs. Kitsune going back to the trip to France. That could mean that Mrs. Pompoms knows an awful lot more about what's going on than Susan wants to think she knows. And that would be another reason for Mrs. Pompoms taking, in the words of one of my old girlfriends, "chemical vacations."

13 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, Mrs. Pompoms keeping Susan's adoption a secret from her does sort of fit the EGS tradition of everyone having a secret or three to keep.

It is canon that Susan is known to not be adopted.

While it is possible that Edward is wrong I don't think so.

All that being said, this is a very powerful strip.  As the kids say "the feels, all the feels"

Regarding Dan's concerns about the panel of Susan clutching her pant-leg: it's an underline for just how tense and uncertain Susan is about the question at hand. It didn't need to be there, but it adds more weight to a significant point that might otherwise be overlooked until later: it anchors Ellen's words in the bottom-left panel.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Few weeks their time. More than three years of our time. Talk about perspective ...

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That was one of Elliot's finest moments to me. I am glad to see it being called back to.

Yes.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Another thought: Mrs. Pompoms must have some kind of relationship with Mrs. Kitsune going back to the trip to France. That could mean that Mrs. Pompoms knows an awful lot more about what's going on than Susan wants to think she knows. And that would be another reason for Mrs. Pompoms taking, in the words of one of my old girlfriends, "chemical vacations."

While interesting theory, it's just theory. They didn't needed to meet. If Susan somehow avoided psychiatrists, she might avoided telling anything to Mrs. Pompoms as well. In fact, they agreed to not tell anyone about knowing the other ...

(I'm also curious how she avoided Mr. Verres ...)

Save the world now, ask questions later.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

If Susan somehow avoided psychiatrists, she might avoided telling anything to Mrs. Pompoms as well.

Psychiatrists should be avoided more than psychologists - nothing to be cured

3 minutes ago, Stature said:

Psychiatrists should be avoided more than psychologists - nothing to be cured

I though PTSD is already in psychiatrists area ... but ok, I'm not exactly sure what's the difference ... Susan apparently avoided both. Which was good idea, because if they get from her she killed vampire ...

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

While interesting theory, it's just theory. They didn't needed to meet. If Susan somehow avoided psychiatrists, she might avoided telling anything to Mrs. Pompoms as well. In fact, they agreed to not tell anyone about knowing the other ...

(I'm also curious how she avoided Mr. Verres ...)

In Gunnerkrigg Court, Annie and Kat's parents grew up together, so here's a wild theory, Edward, Noriko, Mama Kitsune, Mr and/or Ms Dunkel, and Mr and Mrs Pompoms grew up together, but Noriko leaving Edward and Mr Pompoms cheating caused the group to fracture some, Edward is still on good terms with the Dunkels and Mama Kitsune because why wouldn't they be? But the divorces of Edward/Noriko and Mr/Mrs Pompoms cause Edward and Mrs Pompoms to loose touch.

Yeah this one's about as wild as it gets. ;)

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In Gunnerkrigg Court, Annie and Kat's parents grew up together, so here's a wild theory, Edward, Noriko, Mama Kitsune, Mr and/or Ms Dunkel, and Mr and Mrs Pompoms grew up together, but Noriko leaving Edward and Mr Pompoms cheating caused the group to fracture some, Edward is still on good terms with the Dunkels and Mama Kitsune because why wouldn't they be? But the divorces of Edward/Noriko and Mr/Mrs Pompoms cause Edward and Mrs Pompoms to loose touch.

Yeah this one's about as wild as it gets. ;)

I don't think that would fit the data.

Obviously, Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune grew together and I think Verres and Kitsune remained close until Noriko left. Afterwards, they still visited sometimes (note that Nanase remembers Tedd so withdrawn she though he's mute) but got more and more apart.

But Dunkels and Verres likely didn't knew each other until Elliot met Tedd. And Mrs. Pompoms? Why should she have any connection to anyone else?

(Meanwhile, you forgot Browns, who were apparently close to Dunkels.)

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think that would fit the data.

Obviously, Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune grew together and I think Verres and Kitsune remained close until Noriko left. Afterwards, they still visited sometimes (note that Nanase remembers Tedd so withdrawn she though he's mute) but got more and more apart.

But Dunkels and Verres likely didn't knew each other until Elliot met Tedd. And Mrs. Pompoms? Why should she have any connection to anyone else?

I did say it was wild. ;)

I was thinking that the "She's Family. Help Her." line was originally used way back at the end of the first Sister arc.  Almost a year ago in comic time.

But it turns out it was less than a month ago.  This disappoints me.  EGS is known for extremely long call backs.

Would it be better for the first Susan-Diane Summit to take place at Susan's house where Mrs Pompoms might appear?  At Diane's house where her adoptive parents might intrude?  Or at a neutral site?  Encountering either side of the parental equation brings the possibility of a bad reaction and useful information.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Would it be better for the first Susan-Diane Summit to take place at Susan's house where Mrs Pompoms might appear?  At Diane's house where her adoptive parents might intrude?  Or at a neutral site?  Encountering either side of the parental equation brings the possibility of a bad reaction and useful information.

How about Greg's dojo? Greg knows about magic, has magic (and how!), and the other issue can also be addressed: Getting Diane up to speed on monster fighting. 

The other logical place would be Tedd's house, where the Scary Wand could be used to analyze Diane's magic, not to mention Tedd's magical insight. And maybe the scanner in the basement to see just how alke Susan and Diane really are.

When to get together could be an issue. How late has it gotten? It's Sunday, the night before Monday; parental units tend to frown on their children being out on the eves of school days. Unless, maybe, this happens to be the Sunday before Martin Luther King Day, which would place this Sunday at January 19th.

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But it turns out it was less than a month ago.  This disappoints me.  EGS is known for extremely long call backs.

I keep expecting someone to mention Ellen's initial reaction to Diane way back before Sister II, and her frantic texting about it to Susan.

I also still want to see Susan and Diane meet, shake hands and both immediately use hand sanitizer, Dan's given them both clean freak behaviour although sadly he's only given us one case of Diane's.

29 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Where they meet is going to be interesting. I'm not sure if Susan would want to introduce Diane to the Verres' household yet even though Diane has met Edward but then it does seem like Ashley's about to experience it. The Dunkel's is a natural location in they don't need to worry about Ellen's parents doing anything aside from maybe offering brownies.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

When to get together could be an issue. How late has it gotten? It's Sunday, the night before Monday; parental units tend to frown on their children being out on the eves of school days. Unless, maybe, this happens to be the Sunday before Martin Luther King Day, which would place this Sunday at January 19th.

I think it's still morning, or early afternoon.  It's at the very least a time when Susan would otherwise be at work (and therefore otherwise be out of the house), and it's shortly after she got to work (though we don't know what time she works).  She also contacted Elliot the same time Sarah did, which was probably right after talking to Pandora, which in turn was probably shortly after Pandora talked to the emissary (when Grace was asleep or had just woken up).

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's Sunday, the night before Monday; parental units tend to frown on their children being out on the eves of school days. Unless, maybe, this happens to be the Sunday before Martin Luther King Day, which would place this Sunday at January 19th.

I thinnk Tedd already told Susan and Nanase that he'd been planning on telling everyone about his spell at school on Monday, but I suppose he might have just said "on Monday."  

*checks*

"I figured we'd all bring each other up to speed on Monday, and..."

So, it's still possible that they have Monday off and were *all* going to get together somewhere on their day off.  Given that half the gang goes to a different school, it would at least have to be an after school get-together, not just chatting at lunch, so I guess it doesn't matter too much, school day vs holiday.

Edited by CritterKeeper
Hooray, editing isn't invisible anymore!

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

I thinnk Tedd already told Susan and Nanase that he'd been planning on telling everyone about his spell at school on Monday, but I suppose he might have just said "on Monday."  

*checks*

"I figured we'd all bring each other up to speed on Monday, and..."

So, it's still possible that they have Monday off and were *all* going to get together somewhere on their day off.  Given that half the gang goes to a different school, it would at least have to be an after school get-together, not just chatting at lunch, so I guess it doesn't matter too much, school day vs holiday.

Tedd figuring everyone would bring each other up to speed Monday was before Griffins and vampires happened and so Monday ended up being Sunday.

Also, what Tedd was talking about was what happened at the card tournament with Luke, and magic marks and Grace's dreams. Tedd and Sarah could easily have filled Elliot and Susan in during lunch or even before classes at MNHS while Grace and Justin filled Ellen and Nanase in at MSHS, and then since Grace lives with Tedd and Ellen with Elliot, any new ideas from either school could get passed along through them, and everyone's updated the next morning. Or they could all meet after school either at Tedd's or wherever might be suitable for secret discussions about magic.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

How about Greg's dojo? Greg knows about magic, has magic (and how!), and the other issue can also be addressed: Getting Diane up to speed on monster fighting. 

The other logical place would be Tedd's house, where the Scary Wand could be used to analyze Diane's magic, not to mention Tedd's magical insight. And maybe the scanner in the basement to see just how alke Susan and Diane really are.

Both good places they should visit, but I would like to mention that there is lot in progress now and they don't necessary need to get in those places first time they meet.

Especially considering Greg would likely need to be informed in advance.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I also still want to see Susan and Diane meet, shake hands and both immediately use hand sanitizer, Dan's given them both clean freak behaviour although sadly he's only given us one case of Diane's.

If you look at commentary, not even Susan was originally supposed to be clean freak. Diane's reaction is NORMAL - or at least, what Dan considers normal. No clean freak.

Tedd figuring everyone would bring each other up to speed Monday was before Griffins and vampires happened and so Monday ended up being Sunday.

Also, what Tedd was talking about was what happened at the card tournament with Luke, and magic marks and Grace's dreams. Tedd and Sarah could easily have filled Elliot and Susan in during lunch or even before classes at MNHS while Grace and Justin filled Ellen and Nanase in at MSHS, and then since Grace lives with Tedd and Ellen with Elliot, any new ideas from either school could get passed along through them, and everyone's updated the next morning. Or they could all meet after school either at Tedd's or wherever might be suitable for secret discussions about magic.

I think that the idea was they will talk during lunch and maybe agree that this warrants getting together. Also, Tedd might not be in hurry explaining something so personal, so he possibly tried to postpone it as much as possible.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If you look at commentary, not even Susan was originally supposed to be clean freak. Diane's reaction is NORMAL - or at least, what Dan considers normal. No clean freak.

I guess, considering Diane found Grace and Rhoda in the bathroom, it would be understandable to hope they had clean hands. Still Dan did continue Susan's behaviour and personally I think it's an amusing quirk for a character to have.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that the idea was they will talk during lunch and maybe agree that this warrants getting together. Also, Tedd might not be in hurry explaining something so personal, so he possibly tried to postpone it as much as possible.

The personal stuff about his mark and talent and why he doesn't want his dad to know, considering half the group already knew and now Nanase and Susan knows, it would really just be Elliot and Ellen left, Tedd might tell them but again stress that he doesn't want Edward to know about that. Everthing else that happened during the tournament would be safe.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I guess, considering Diane found Grace and Rhoda in the bathroom, it would be understandable to hope they had clean hands. Still Dan did continue Susan's behaviour and personally I think it's an amusing quirk for a character to have.

It was fun with Susan, but I don't think it would be as fun with Diane. Especially considering her much more social lifestyle would make it more complicated.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The personal stuff about his mark and talent and why he doesn't want his dad to know, considering half the group already knew and now Nanase and Susan knows, it would really just be Elliot and Ellen left, Tedd might tell them but again stress that he doesn't want Edward to know about that. Everthing else that happened during the tournament would be safe.

Of course after Nanase and Susan's visit the original idea wouldn't work :)

Also, what else happened during tournament? Well, ok, Justin and Sarah got dates, but that's really not important compared to Tedd's talent.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

It was fun with Susan, but I don't think it would be as fun with Diane. Especially considering her much more social lifestyle would make it more complicated.

Diane holding a high standard of cleanliness would fit if she used that when choosing which guys to "date", she wouldn't want to be seen hanging around dirty people.

I just felt that the bathroom incident was another hint that Dan gave about Diane's possible relation to Susan, that despite growing up in very different environments, they still have similar personalities and quirks.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, what else happened during tournament? Well, ok, Justin and Sarah got dates, but that's really not important compared to Tedd's talent.

Also the fact that Luke has magic and Sarah, Tedd and Grace are unsure whether to trust him despite the fact that Sarah and Grace really want to see Justin get some action.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Diane holding a high standard of cleanliness would fit if she used that when choosing which guys to "date", she wouldn't want to be seen hanging around dirty people.

I just felt that the bathroom incident was another hint that Dan gave about Diane's possible relation to Susan, that despite growing up in very different environments, they still have similar personalities and quirks.

Hmmm ... maybe she may hold high standard but not as high as Susan ... I definitely don't think she will use hand sanitizer. But maybe she would understand why Susan does.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Also the fact that Luke has magic and Sarah, Tedd and Grace are unsure whether to trust him despite the fact that Sarah and Grace really want to see Justin get some action.

... Sarah maybe, but I don't think Grace would like to watch it ... :)