• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday December 14, 2016

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I did expected he will be the one. But I expected she will tell him later, after Sarah will get rid of enough of the ambient magic, so this appearing so soon surprised me as well.

I would think letting him know now would be better than to surprise him with it at the time needed to complete the task, I imagine he would need to prepare and that could take some time as well.

On one hand, yes. On the other, I can see her wanting to postpone as much as possible.

11 hours ago, Drasvin said:
11 hours ago, Entropy said:

The big problem is that Voltaire framed her in his attack to the dojo, so I can see some trouble convincing her son to help...

I can see Adrian attempting to call her out on it, she gets confused as to what he's talking about, and then Adrian being flabbergasted at finding out she doesn't know the pithos/box detail of her own namesake.

I'm really looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

According to Google, Dan had three choices to use for a group of ravens: a conspiracy, an unkindness, or a constable. O_o I can see why he would have chosen the one he did. They're not conspiring at the moment,

I think conspiracy might work. But apparently not as well as unkindness ...

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

On the other, I can see her wanting to postpone as much as possible.

I dunno, considering the importance of removing the clog and how dangerous it could be, I don't think she wants to mess around.

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Am I the only one who really wants to see if Max is reacting to Pandora's sudden appearance?  And if so, is he hissing, or trying to rub against her ankles?

I'm going to bet he just looks at her disinterestedly and then goes back to sleep.

15 minutes ago, Drasvin said:
18 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Am I the only one who really wants to see if Max is reacting to Pandora's sudden appearance?  And if so, is he hissing, or trying to rub against her ankles?

I'm going to bet he just looks at her disinterestedly and then goes back to sleep.

Oh. The Brownie approach.

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

I was using "must get consent from the people who would be depowered" as a hypothetical reason why depowering would not be as straightforward as empowering under Immortal Law.

Immortal Law is "only guide and empower".  Depowering isn't as straightforward because she needs to get someone else to do it; that's the only way she can do it.  Doing the depowering herself isn't "not as straightforward"; it's simply not allowed at all (unless it can somehow count as guiding or empowering).  (Depowering isn't special in this way; the same is true for anything that isn't guiding or empowering.)  [There may be exceptions, but we don't have any indication of this, and they're probably not relevant here because otherwise we'd probably know about them by now.]

13 hours ago, chridd said:

Immortal Law is "only guide and empower".  Depowering isn't as straightforward because she needs to get someone else to do it; that's the only way she can do it.  Doing the depowering herself isn't "not as straightforward"; it's simply not allowed at all (unless it can somehow count as guiding or empowering).  (Depowering isn't special in this way; the same is true for anything that isn't guiding or empowering.)  [There may be exceptions, but we don't have any indication of this, and they're probably not relevant here because otherwise we'd probably know about them by now.]

There's probably a rule against messing with an empowerment, even if it's your own empowerment...

46 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

There's probably a rule against messing with an empowerment, even if it's your own empowerment...

I don't see why there would be...?

My point is, we already know exactly what rule is preventing Pandora from depowering Moperville herself.  That rule is "only guide and empower".  We know exactly what she has to do to depower Moperville: she has to get a mortal (or multiple mortals) to do it, by guiding and/or empowering them (or, perhaps, find some other way that qualifies as only guiding and empowering).  There's no reason to believe that there's anything more to it than that.

3 hours ago, chridd said:
3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I don't see why there would be...?

My point is, we already know exactly what rule is preventing Pandora from depowering Moperville herself.  That rule is "only guide and empower".  We know exactly what she has to do to depower Moperville: she has to get a mortal (or multiple mortals) to do it, by guiding and/or empowering them (or, perhaps, find some other way that qualifies as only guiding and empowering).  There's no reason to believe that there's anything more to it than that.

I agree with this explanation. Although Dan DID mentioned that empower and guide is oversimplification because he can't see how can having child be counted as either.

On 12/14/2016 at 6:14 PM, CritterKeeper said:

What I'm wondering is why Max is with Raven rather than at Tedd's house.

4 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Max is Raven's. Jeremy is Verres'. Brownie is Dunkels'. The Browns may also have a cat, but I'm not sure and don't recall a name.

Does Sarah herself being a cat sometimes count? Otherwise I don't think they do.

Also it should be noted that Max and Jeremy may be related*, and Brownie probably the most normal cat in EGS. :)

*I'm thinking Max and Jeremy are the results of combinin cat and hedgehog DNA in an Uryuom egg which would make sense if no human/humanoid DNA is used.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also it should be noted that Max and Jeremy may be related*, and Brownie probably the most normal cat in EGS. :)

*I'm thinking Max and Jeremy are the results of combinin cat and hedgehog DNA in an Uryuom egg which would make sense if no human/humanoid DNA is used.

Makes sense.

12 minutes ago, AmigaDragon said:

Then my next question is why Max looks like Jeremy. I thought Jeremy was unique via the TF guns.

Jeremy might never be zapped.

I long believed that Adrian's Max and Edward's Jeremy were closely related.  The fact that both men had pets from the same litter was evidence of a time the two of them were much closer.

I don't recall any specific statement in the comic that directly supports this belief.  I don't recall any specific statement in the comic that directly contradicts this belief.

Do we know exactly how old Tedd was when Noriko left?  I doubt Edward and Adrian would be shopping for pets together after that point.

Typical lifespan for a cat is mid to late teens, with early twenties not too uncommon.  The oldest cat I've met personally was twenty-five.  The world record, which I thought was a typo at first, is thirty-eight.

Hedgehogs are currently listed as living up to ten years, but we haven't really been keeping them long enough to have maximized their lifespan, so I expect that may improve as diet, medical care, etc. are optimized.

A cat-hedgehog cross could exceed them both if the gene combinations work out, or it could fall somewhere in between.

In other words, Max and Jeremy could easily be older than Tedd.  In fact, if they were created as part of testing the technique for hybridizing via Uryuom eggs, the usual pattern of testing on animals before testing on humans, it's quite likely they're older than any of the part-human crosses like Hedge and Grace.

42 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

In other words, Max and Jeremy could easily be older than Tedd.  In fact, if they were created as part of testing the technique for hybridizing via Uryuom eggs, the usual pattern of testing on animals before testing on humans, it's quite likely they're older than any of the part-human crosses like Hedge and Grace.

I would imagine hybrids through Uryuom eggs were already known to be safe. What the shady organization that created Hedge and Grace, etc, was trying to do was create an assassin using the best combination, as well as make it so they grow up faster than normal so that they can put to work quicker.

Hybrids like Max and Jeremy might have been created more for novelty like other designer pets, the upside of using an Uryuom egg would be the lower likelyhood of genetic defects.

There might also be some other DNA involved that gives them longer lifespans but isn't noticeable physically.

19 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

While the idea of Raven and Edward getting "spoils of war" after the attack on the company producing Hedge and Grace is funny, I don't think the timeline fits and Raven is unlikely to be part of such attack force. More likely, Max and Jeremy are results of independent experiments with uryuoms egs.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

There might also be some other DNA involved that gives them longer lifespans but isn't noticeable physically.

Yes. Or, the same effect which makes Grace age slower (I think it wasn't explained WHY does she age slower, was it?).

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Or, the same effect which makes Grace age slower (I think it wasn't explained WHY does she age slower, was it?).

I don't think it was explained either, and it doesn't seem like it only applies to Grace, she had asked if her and her brothers aged at an accelerated rate, Dr Sciuridae said no, that he was right about it not working that way. Maybe it's the egg that does this rather than the combination of DNA, because Hedge and Guineas was only created with human and animal DNA, Vladia was various animals, human and Uryuom DNA, and Grace was animal, human, Uryuom and Lespuko. So if all 4 of them age slower than normal then it's likely because of the method of conception, it makes sense that if the egg can guarantee  the success of creating a hybrid from seemingly incompatible species, there's probably other benefits of using an Uryuom egg.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think it was explained either, and it doesn't seem like it only applies to Grace, she had asked if her and her brothers aged at an accelerated rate, Dr Sciuridae said no, that he was right about it not working that way. Maybe it's the egg that does this rather than the combination of DNA, because Hedge and Guineas was only created with human and animal DNA, Vladia was various animals, human and Uryuom DNA, and Grace was animal, human, Uryuom and Lespuko. So if all 4 of them age slower than normal then it's likely because of the method of conception, it makes sense that if the egg can guarantee  the success of creating a hybrid from seemingly incompatible species, there's probably other benefits of using an Uryuom egg.

In commentary, Dan mentioned it's related to shapeshifting ... well, all of them can shapeshift, although not all as good as Grace ... also, this raises question if Max and Jeremy could shapeshift ...