• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday December 14, 2016

19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... hmmm ... Noriko might have third hedgecat ...

If Noriko has a third hedgecat, then it seems likely that they encountered the hedgecat breeder before Noriko finally left Edward.

... If Adrian Raven have Max, it already seem likely that they encountered the hedgecat breeder before Noriko finally left Edward.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A 68 year old manatee is one of my neighbors.  You don't need alien enhanced genetics to have an unusually long lifespan.

Manatee is somewhat bigger than cat and living to 60 is not unusual for them. Cats have livespan of 12-18 years. Larger species of hedgehogs usually live 4-7 years but can live up to 16.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Cats have livespan of 12-18 years. Larger species of hedgehogs usually live 4-7 years but can live up to 16.

The oldest cat I have personally met was 25 years old.  There are a number of well-documented cases of cats living into their late twenties and beyond, with the world record being an astonishing but well-documented thirty-eight years old.  As medical care, diet, etc. improve, the lifespan of a species tends to improve, too.

The hedgehog chapter in the Manual of Exotic Pet Practice lists hedgehog lifespan as 5-10 years.  In the wild, an African pygmy hedgehog would only be expected to live 1-4 years; in captivity, 4-7 is more typical.  Again, as we learn more about proper care, housing, and diet, their lifespans in captivity have been increasing.

A cross between a cat and a hedgehog could have a life expectancy anywhere between the two, including at either extreme.  Given that Noriko didn't leave until at least after Tedd was born, and he's only 18 now, it's definitely quite plausible that Max and Jeremy are older than that.

29 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

A cross between a cat and a hedgehog could have a life expectancy anywhere between the two, including at either extreme. 

Considering the genetic engineering involved to get the cross to even be viable, the lifespan could be anywhere from days to a century.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:
2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

A cross between a cat and a hedgehog could have a life expectancy anywhere between the two, including at either extreme. 

Considering the genetic engineering involved to get the cross to even be viable, the lifespan could be anywhere from days to a century.

I wanted to object that both are mammals, but considering cats have 38 chromosomes and hedgehogs 90 ... not sure what the hedgehog needs those chromosomes for but apparently there is big difference between those two.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... not sure what the hedgehog needs those chromosomes for but apparently there is big difference between those two.

Might have to do with the spines, their abillity to roll up into balls, and also run at sonic speed.

;)

59 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... not sure what the hedgehog needs those chromosomes for but apparently there is big difference between those two.

Might have to do with the spines, their abillity to roll up into balls, and also run at sonic speed.

I saw several hedgehogs. There were not blurry enough to move at sonic speed, and most importantly, I didn't hear the sonic boom when they decided I'm too close. Although maybe they do have genes encoding that ability and that gene just don't express in Europe. They were not blue either.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Although maybe they do have genes encoding that ability and that gene just don't express in Europe.

I am going to write the EU Parliament and complain about the substandard hedgehogs of Europe. We need better legislation aimed at improving them.

Colouring them blue and giving them a small circle of yellow stars might also help and ought to be within range of our genetic engineering capabilities.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I am going to write the EU Parliament and complain about the substandard hedgehogs of Europe. We need better legislation aimed at improving them.

This is a job that should be left to the private sector.  Political or Civil bureaucratic oversight can only bog down the process.  The government would do well to clear away outdated legislation that would impede the project.  The Lawgiver* may also consider creating some grants of tax credits as a financial incentive to start the ball rolling.

*If the Lawgiver is still working on the "Ape shall never kill ape" ordinance, let someone else deal with the hedgehogs.  We don't want to keep Caesar waiting.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

3 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This is a job that should be left to the private sector.  Political or Civil bureaucratic oversight can only bog down the process.

So you say, living in Florida, but I am more worried that the private sector will do what it always does and start hedging.

10 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yes, Florida.  Where the private sector has decided to introduce Boas and Pythons because the Alligator, Rattler, Moccasin, Cottonmouth, Copperhead, Coral Snake, and Gecko were not enough.

And it still hasn't stopped us Canucks from invading every winter. ;)

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yes, Florida.  Where the private sector has decided to introduce Boas and Pythons because the Alligator, Rattler, Moccasin, Cottonmouth, Copperhead, Coral Snake, and Gecko were not enough.

Don't forget those walking catfish. Are they in Georgia yet?

It's mentioned somewhere that Jeremy can chew through cat food cans, so he presumably has abilities beyond both cats and hedgehogs. Personally, I think Max and Jeremy were Uryuom-egg experiments before they got into the human part of the breeding program.

1 minute ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

It's mentioned somewhere that Jeremy can chew through cat food cans, so he presumably has abilities beyond both cats and hedgehogs. Personally, I think Max and Jeremy were Uryuom egg experiments before they got into the human part of the breeding program.

It's probably more likely that Max and Jeremy were from the Uryuoms demonstrating how their eggs worked as part of their knowledge sharing with the paranormal division.

8 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

It's mentioned somewhere that Jeremy can chew through cat food cans, so he presumably has abilities beyond both cats and hedgehogs. Personally, I think Max and Jeremy were Uryuom-egg experiments before they got into the human part of the breeding program.

Even ordinary cats may display startling determination in that department. In order to get at some Greenies kitty treats, my wife's cat stubbornly clawed its way through three layers of wrapping and the quite tough little plastic sack of the Greenies themselves. o.o

I don't really know of any carnivores capable of biting through steel cans without lacerating their own gums. All of the animals I know of who do engage in such behavior possess rodent teeth (e.g. rats).

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Even ordinary cats may display startling determination in that department. In order to get at some Greenies kitty treats, my wife's cat stubbornly clawed its way through three layers of wrapping and the quite tough little plastic sack of the Greenies themselves. o.o

Heh, that reminds me of the time my mom asked what cat treats are made of and I answered without thinking: Kitty Crack

21 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

It's mentioned somewhere that Jeremy can chew through cat food cans, so he presumably has abilities beyond both cats and hedgehogs.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

I don't really know of any carnivores capable of biting through steel cans without lacerating their own gums

Might not be actually STEEL cans. Was only described as "cans of cat food".

It's not confirmed to be steel, but the most common used in the late 20th-early 21st centuries in America are tin-plated or polymer-coated steel, with occasional aluminum cans being found. I am pretty confident that Dan would have specified non-metallic cans if the cans in question were not made of metal.

I think most cat food cans I've seen are too light to be steel.  They're aluminum with a lining on the inside.  My parents' dog used to get ahold of empty ones and she could dent them, or even put holes in them, fairly easily.

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think most cat food cans I've seen are too light to be steel.  They're aluminum with a lining on the inside.  My parents' dog used to get ahold of empty ones and she could dent them, or even put holes in them, fairly easily.

Case closed.

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

35 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Case closed.

Most dogs are bigger, and therefore stronger than cats. Plus, to the best of my knowledge, cats don't have the teeth/jaw combination that canines do, because breaking up bones isn't part of their diet.