• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday December 14, 2016

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So. I figured it'd cut to Adrian. but I didn't expect he'd be the one Pandora was going to have clear the clog.

I did expected he will be the one. But I expected she will tell him later, after Sarah will get rid of enough of the ambient magic, so this appearing so soon surprised me as well.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Yay! My waifu in hot elven sorcerer mode! I has a happy!

But she's not happy.

(Possibly because she noticed the title of arc. "Unkidness", hmmm ...)

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I did expected he will be the one. But I expected she will tell him later, after Sarah will get rid of enough of the ambient magic, so this appearing so soon surprised me as well.

I would think letting him know now would be better than to surprise him with it at the time needed to complete the task, I imagine he would need to prepare and that could take some time as well.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(Possibly because she noticed the title of arc. "Unkidness", hmmm ...)

"An Unkindness" as Dan said, is what a group of Ravens are, so this is pretty apt at the moment, though also considering Dan's excitement over it, I don't doubt that there's another reason for the title. Maybe it has to do with what Pandora's going to tell him, or maybe it'll be something else.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

"An Unkindness" as Dan said, is what a group of Ravens

It's a good thing that their last name isn't Crow then.  A murder, considering who we are talking about might be a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

So. I figured it'd cut to Adrian. but I didn't expect he'd be the one Pandora was going to have clear the clog.

Seems to me the person to clear the clog would be whomever Pandora empowered and guided to create it, and it seems highly unlikely that would be her estranged son. Remember, she's only spoken with Adrian once in the last fourteen or fifteen years. So his “chore” is liable to be more complicated than “OK, stop doing that now”.

Cookies to whomever guessed Adrian Raven would be the Mystery Guest. No cookie for me.

I thought that Pandora placed the clog herself, but she needed someone else to remove it because Depowering has different rules about it than Empowering? (e.g. she couldn't Depower Moperville and all of the Mages in it without getting permission from a large enough majority of them first, which in turn would require way more time and explaining than doing it this way?)

8 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I thought that Pandora placed the clog herself, but she needed someone else to remove it because Depowering has different rules about it than Empowering? (e.g. she couldn't Depower Moperville and all of the Mages in it without getting permission from a large enough majority of them first, which in turn would require way more time and explaining than doing it this way?)

Nothing about permission from a majority (that we know of).  She (like all other immortals) can't do much herself except guiding and empowering.  If she wants anything else done (whether that's depowering, saving a life, killing a vampire, committing murder, defeating a cult leader, or anything else), she has to get a mortal to do it (and she can provide guidance and empowerment to the mortal to help them accomplish the task).  She could place the clog herself, because placing the clog is itself empowering.  Removing the clog is not empowering, so she has to get someone else—in this case, Sarah and (presumably) Mr. Raven—to actually remove the clog.

15 minutes ago, Entropy said:

The big problem is that Voltaire framed her in his attack to the dojo, so I can see some trouble convincing her son to help...

I can see Adrian attempting to call her out on it, she gets confused as to what he's talking about, and then Adrian being flabbergasted at finding out she doesn't know the pithos/box detail of her own namesake.

Don't you just hate it when relatives show up unannounced?  Especially when they go on and demand that you do something for them?

And about being framed for the Dojo incident?  Wasn't Adrian the one who figured out the Pithos was a Red Herring?  Actually, I am asking here.  I remember Adrian discussing the attack with Noah, but I can't remember all the details and my access to the archive tends to freeze after four pages.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And about being framed for the Dojo incident?  Wasn't Adrian the one who figured out the Pithos was a Red Herring?  Actually, I am asking here.  I remember Adrian discussing the attack with Noah, but I can't remember all the details and my access to the archive tends to freeze after four pages.

He thought it proved her involvement.

EDIT: After checking the archives found a link. He thought it was strange, but he still believed it was her who did that.

Just now, chridd said:
Just now, ijuin said:

Nothing about permission from a majority (that we know of).  She (like all other immortals) can't do much herself except guiding and empowering.  If she wants anything else done (whether that's depowering, saving a life, killing a vampire, committing murder, defeating a cult leader, or anything else), she has to get a mortal to do it (and she can provide guidance and empowerment to the mortal to help them accomplish the task).  She could place the clog herself, because placing the clog is itself empowering.  Removing the clog is not empowering, so she has to get someone else—in this case, Sarah and (presumably) Mr. Raven—to actually remove the clog.

Yeah, basically depowering Moperville would be breaking the rule of "guide and empower", heck creating the clog could be seen as questionable empowerment but it was obviously easy to believe that it's not breaking any the rule. And going back through "Death Sentence" Dan did foreshadow that Adrian would be the one capable of removing the clog by having him state that he has a "talent for disenchantment".

Just now, Drasvin said:
Just now, Entropy said:

The big problem is that Voltaire framed her in his attack to the dojo, so I can see some trouble convincing her son to help...

I can see Adrian attempting to call her out on it, she gets confused as to what he's talking about, and then Adrian being flabbergasted at finding out she doesn't know the pithos/box detail of her own namesake.

Pandora knows what her namesake means, we know because of her choice of the name "Box" for Sarah to call her. What she wouldn't likely know is that Dex was given that pendent and guided and empowered further by another Immortal. Pandora might have been taking one of her naps during that time and missed the whole thing. I imagine she'll be shocked when Adrian confronts her about it, but she already knows another Immortal has been messing around with things so she'll be more shocked at the possibility that the other Immortal has been doing so for a while now.

Either that or we find out that Pandora was the one controlling Dex and Voltaire lied about his involvement, which wouldn't surprise me either but is probably less likely.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, Drasvin said:
4 hours ago, Entropy said:

Pandora knows what her namesake means, we know because of her choice of the name "Box" for Sarah to call her. What she wouldn't likely know is that Dex was given that pendent and guided and empowered further by another Immortal. Pandora might have been taking one of her naps during that time and missed the whole thing. I imagine she'll be shocked when Adrian confronts her about it, but she already knows another Immortal has been messing around with things so she'll be more shocked at the possibility that the other Immortal has been doing so for a while now.

Either that or we find out that Pandora was the one controlling Dex and Voltaire lied about his involvement, which wouldn't surprise me either but is probably less likely.

I was alluding to the fact that in the original myth, the vessel that Pandora opened was a pithos, which is Greek for jar. When the original myth had been translated, the translator thought it had said pyxis, or box. I'm extrapolating that Pandora might not know about that little bit of trivia, because she asked Sarah to call her "Box" instead of "Jar" fdsa , which is greek for jar 

2 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I was alluding to the fact that in the original myth, the vessel that Pandora opened was a pithos, which is Greek for jar. When the original myth had been translated, the translator thought it had said pyxis, or box. I'm extrapolating that Pandora might not know about that little bit of trivia, because she asked Sarah to call her "Box" instead of "Jar" fdsa , which is greek for jar 

Pandora likely knows about the mistranslation, but Pandora's Box still has a better ring to it than Pandora's Jar.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Pandora likely knows about the mistranslation, but Pandora's Box still has a better ring to it than Pandora's Jar.

Of course if it was placed in another jar, then placed in an armoured car, it would be Pandora's Jar Jar Brinks, which is too close for comfort.

/me adds mlooney to the list and slaps him upside the head.

On the other hand, we now have confirmation to the wonderings from allllll the way back in Sister II on how often Raven accesses his true form and whether changing at school would result in a hormone surge. Apparently he ditches his teacher form while he's hanging out at home, at the very least. Probably with the blinds shut, though. 

According to Google, Dan had three choices to use for a group of ravens: a conspiracy, an unkindness, or a constable. O_o I can see why he would have chosen the one he did. They're not conspiring at the moment, not sure why they'd be a constable; both of them are decent people, but not necessarily nice people, and certainly some of their actions to accomplish what they feel they need to do could be considered unkind (either by themselves or other people).

Pandora looks very subdued; even her feathers aren't poofy. :( 

10 hours ago, chridd said:

I was using "must get consent from the people who would be depowered" as a hypothetical reason why depowering would not be as straightforward as empowering under Immortal Law.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also, she was worried that Sarah (or someone) might say her name twice in a row. If that happens, Box is a much more acceptable name.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Don't you just hate it when relatives show up unannounced?  Especially when they go on and demand that you do something for them?

Look, it's your own fault. If you hadn't insisted on filling your pyramids with curses with a sell-by date still good after five thousand years, maybe you wouldn't have occult researcher descendants beating your door down asking you how to remove them again.

32 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Look, it's your own fault. If you hadn't insisted on filling your pyramids with curses with a sell-by date still good after five thousand years, maybe you wouldn't have occult researcher descendants beating your door down asking you how to remove them again.

Egyptians: the original recursive algorithim....