• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

What are you reading right now?

4 hours ago, Zorua said:

The Infinite Loops fanfictions. Specifically the "restore the Puella Magi Madoka Magica universe" snippets on the Spacebattles forums. I think I'm gonna stop waiting for updates on fanfiction.net (which very rarely happens) and stick to reading the forum where the actual updates are.

You're also on Spacebattles? What's your username there? Mine's still partner555, but I have a different profile pic there.

Hulks and Horrors (SciFi) and it's sister RPG Arcana Rising (Urban Fantasy). 

I think I've found my non Traveller part of project[redacted], at least for the 1st version.  I suspect that the 2nd version (not edition) will be based on D&D 5.  I may commit heresy and use the H&H ship design rules as the base, but the space ship combat rules are of the suck and will require a full Looney built version.  None of the non Traveller games has land based vehicle rules, and the Traveller ones are also of the suck, so that's getting a full Looney build as well.

9 hours ago, partner555 said:

You're also on Spacebattles? What's your username there? Mine's still partner555, but I have a different profile pic there.

Nah. I'm just a lurker. Last thing I need is to sign up for another website and not do anything with it.

Although... I do have some Loop ideas written down... Maybe I could sign up and post a few, see what happens.

On 19 March 2016 at 0:32 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

This forum. Plus the output of Prime95 as it runs in the background.

4 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

So has anyone decided to be a smartass and posted "this forum" yet?

See above. That being said, I found it amusing when the professor posted it at the time, though some things are really only funny once.

Would you believe The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter? Both fun and relaxing, if occasionally somewhat twee, it's a series of mysteries set in the lake country of England where Beatrix Potter in real life lived once she moved out of London. Miss Potter is a major character as are her pets, as well as many other animals.  The main conceit of the books is that the animals are, in their eyes, much like the animals that populate Potter's books--they talk to each other and have a society that is entirely unperceived by humans.

Not my usual fare, but the relaxing part is important-- I've been having terrible problems with insomnia lately. Exciting stories that keep me turning the pages into the wee hours would be a bad idea just now.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

I'm sorry, what means "twee"? I don't think it's part of the vocabulary where I come from.

A little too cute or quaint. The author, Susan Wittig Albert, mostly manages to avoid this, but every once in a great while she slips.  Albert's an experienced mystery writer--Mrs. Dorsai has read some of her more conventional mysteries and likes them--and that probably explains how she mostly manages to avoid this trap.

The Time-Traveler's Wife  

It's been mentioned many times, most prominently to me as the inspiration for River Song, and I saw it on the shelf in the library and decided it was time to read it.

Twitter. I really shouldn't have done it, but I saw North Korea trending and was like "Oh my, what are they going on about this time?" and the headline was: "North Korea: U.S "crossed the red line", declared war." which, according to the article, North Korea considers the U.S' sanctioning of Kim Jong Un as a declaration of war, but everyone is posting like it was North Korea that declared war so are posting memes and stuff, and there's subgroups that are further misunderstanding it as a hoax and badmouthing the news sources.

I can't even, right now....

Various 3rd party D&D 5th monster books.  The one from Kobold Press is great and the one by Necromancer Games is almost as good.

Due to the fact that reading a "full size" PDF on a 7" Fire is, while not impossible, a pain, I've changed my rule about the 11" tablet.  It's allowed in the bed room, but only after Firefox has been removed and WiFi defaulting to OFF.  I would use airplane mode, but I need Bluetooth.  I would have removed Chrome as well, but, ah no.  Seems it's a major part of the Android OS.   So I could, in theory, still browse the web, but with out ad block, that's a non starter.

Leaving the keyboards, but not the mouse (even on an 11" screen some buttons are too small to press by my fat fingers) on the computer desk in the living area.

"Weapons of the Third Reich:An Encyclopedic survey of all small arms, artillery and special weapons of the German land forces, 1939-1945" by Terry Gander, and, of course Peter Chamberland.

I think it's my current goto dead tree sleep aid.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, it sounds dry enough to help you sleep while being juuuust interesting enough that you want to keep reading.

I normally get about 30-50 pages before I drop off.

After hearing its praises enough times, I decided to check out Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.  It is definitely far above the average for fanfic!  It has a wonderful reimagining of the Wizarding World, and great twists on familiar characters and situations.  It's made me laugh with delight several times already.  I'm only starting Chapter 12, so no spoilers!