• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

What are you reading right now?

My older posts here.  I have really got to start working on not leaving out words of less than three letters.  Makes me read like I am a person that has English as a second language, which is not even close to true.  If you don't count programming languages I'm pretty close to mono-lingual.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

My older posts here.  I have really got to start working on not leaving out words of less than three letters.  Makes me read like I am a person that has English as a second language, which is not even close to true.  If you don't count programming languages I'm pretty close to mono-lingual.

I have English as a second language, does that count? :icon_eek:

Just now, The Old Hack said:

That depends, how many variants of English are there and which one is your second language? ;)

Just now, Scotty said:

That depends, how many variants of English are there and which one is your second language? ;)

*scratches head* Good question. In my most extreme moods linguistically speaking I hold it that there are as many variations of English as there are speakers. Mine would be my own.

Hack's usage is perfectly intelligible save for the occasional use of Danish-origin figurative speech or cultural references that may be unfamiliar to natives of American or British/Commonwealth English.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Make that an English as a second language speaker who's first language isn't one of the languages once spoken in what is now England.  Danelaw ring a bell?

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Make that an English as a second language speaker who's first language isn't one of the languages once spoken in what is now England.  Danelaw ring a bell?

Does it ever. Goldarn English ingrates. Here we came and stole their land, their property, their goods, and then imposed a system of taxation on them if they wanted to make us stop doing it, and do we get any thanks? Nooooo. All we get is complaints about how once you agree to pay Danegeld, you never get rid of the Dane.

For reasons, mainly do to Edge of Imperial Space, I've been reading various versions of the "If I am the [fill in the blank fantasy|SF person name]" lists.  Found this one in the cultist list.  This made me giggle enough to suspect I might have a bit of oxygen problems after the "fire" in the "kitchen"1

Contrary to historical belief, drugs and invocations do not mix. When the ritual goes awry, it is vitally necessary to be able to discern between the gibbering monstrosity to pump full of silver bullets and the gibbering monstrosity that will fade away after a few hours, some B complex, and a good hot bath.

1No, I don't.  The front door was open way to long for that to be the case.

The Grand Tour and Top Gear fan websites.  While I don't generally suggest that Mr. Clarkson is a good source of advice, if you are a wide traveling type this makes sense as your go bag

I don’t travel without: my billy bag that I know has everything in it. It’s got a universal adapter, phone charger and a tablet for watching movies. I must have 50 currencies in there, so I can buy a cup of coffee almost anywhere the plane lands. I don’t have to think. I just bring my bag.

My meds are kicking in.  While I know it's only for a about an hour before I pass out, I am trying to decide on the Jill Kismet omnibus or Tactical small arms of the 21st century.  I can class both as background research, but TSA21C has a higher chance of being another sleep aid.

The latest Meg Langslow mystery.  It's a series by Donna Andrews.  Meg is a blacksmith by trade, with a large and eccentric extended family, and the books each feature a different setting or hobby/obsession, from a computer game company to a science fiction convention to Xtreme Croquet and competitive rose growing.  The author has a wonderful sense of humor, and the novels are relatively short, fast reads so they never feel like work.  If you want to read for enjoyment, nay, for pleasure, this is a good series to choose.

Decided on Jill Kismet.  The gun book was to dry.  This from someone that has been reading Jane's weapon books for 40 years or so.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

You were fated to make that choice.  It is, after all, kismet.

I would put you on the list but her name was taken as the female of one hunter of her linage,Jack Karma.