• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday December 19, 2016

Ok, it wasn't as apparent in the previous comic that Catalina was growing, and i still, to me at least, seemed like she was at the smallest size when she popped out of the jacket then proceeded to get bigger.

This does seem like Rhoda's size enchantments did get cancelled out by the disguise enchantment, but I still find it odd that it wasn't an instant cancel, instead of this gradual one.

40 minutes ago, Stature said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=553

Corner? Buuut, Rhoda and Cat are prolly swapping their post-TF sizes.

I think even on last frame they are not at same size. Or rather same ratio to original. Of course, we don't know if that's all ... but to me, it makes more sense for them to end up with same ratio.

Now, question is what ratio would that be?

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:

This does seem like Rhoda's size enchantments did get cancelled out by the disguise enchantment, but I still find it odd that it wasn't an instant cancel, instead of this gradual one.

I think she is SMALLER than normal in last frame. And that what happened is that the ratio from their resizing enchantments averaged. Not directly related to the disguise, it's just that the disguise connected those two enchantments ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

I think she is SMALLER than normal in last frame. And that what happened is that the ratio from their resizing enchantments averaged. Not directly related to the disguise, it's just that the disguise connected those two enchantments ...

The "camera angle" that Dan used in this page makes it tough to tell, also we don't see enough of Rhoda to get a good size comparison, the shrinking/growing may not have been complete either. As it is, It looks like the size enchants have been cancelled, but we'll see Wednesday.

The jinks level is increasing rapidly...

If you look closely at the two previous comics, specifically on where the top edge of Rhoda's pocket falls on Catalina's body, it's obvious that Catalina is growing larger relative to Rhoda. And if you look closely at where that white stripe on the wall is as compared to Rhoda's body, it's clear that at least part of the explanation is Rhoda getting smaller. However, it doesn't appear to be doing so in the proper degree to match how much Cat is (relatively) growing, so apparently Cat is also getting larger - and at an increasing rate.

(The laid-back cat-ears is a nice touch.)

Now, Cat realizes that it's time to getouttathere fast.

At first it seems that Catalina is too small in the second frame of today's comic - the same size relative to Rhoda as she was here, in spite of having grown larger. But in the meantime, Rhoda grew by about a foot and a half or so, and hadn't finished shrinking yet. So it may work.

The background showing a hedge above a masonry planter is the same one Catalina and Rhoda were sitting in front of when they were eating (And the same one as when Ashley and Elliot are eating in So a Date at the Mall.) When they were eating, Catalina's head was more or less even with the top of the planter. Rhoda's head is around two inches lower, and the fillet around the top of the planter is maybe three inches high, Catalina's head as the artist's standard eight inches.

In the previous strip, Rhoda shrinks a little more than the height of that fillet, so, she's around four inches shorter in the last panel than she was in the first. In the first panel of this strip, one of the points on Rhoda's jacket's collar is even with the top of the fillet; in the second, that point is more than an inch below it, meaning that Rhoda is about six inches shorter. Catalina looks to be about ten inches tall in that panel, not significantly larger than she was.

If you're still awake, assuming Catalina started at 5' 6", and is 15 inches shorter sitting, the top of the planter would be 4' 3" off the ground.

Because Catalina is getting closer as Rhoda is falling away in the third and fourth panels, I have less confidence in my guesstimates. I'd say in the third panel Rhoda is no taller than the middle of that filler, about 4' 2". Catalina's feet are about half the length of Rhoda's foot in the last panel, but she's closer to us, so Catalina has to be less than 25 inches tall. Call it twenty inches or about twice her height when she abandoned shirt?

Averaging 25 and 50 inches, we wind up with 37.5, about halfway between a yard and a metre tall. Hobbit height.

Say, if they're back by the food court, aren't they pretty close to that quartet of otaku?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

The "camera angle" that Dan used in this page makes it tough to tell, also we don't see enough of Rhoda to get a good size comparison, the shrinking/growing may not have been complete either. As it is, It looks like the size enchants have been cancelled, but we'll see Wednesday.

Hence "I think". It's not clear, but I THINK she is smaller. And yes we will see in Wednesday and also get explanation from Pandora.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

If you look closely at the two previous comics, specifically on where the top edge of Rhoda's pocket falls on Catalina's body, it's obvious that Catalina is growing larger relative to Rhoda. And if you look closely at where that white stripe on the wall is as compared to Rhoda's body, it's clear that at least part of the explanation is Rhoda getting smaller. However, it doesn't appear to be doing so in the proper degree to match how much Cat is (relatively) growing, so apparently Cat is also getting larger - and at an increasing rate.

Agree.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

At first it seems that Catalina is too small in the second frame of today's comic - the same size relative to Rhoda as she was here, in spite of having grown larger. But in the meantime, Rhoda grew by about a foot and a half or so, and hadn't finished shrinking yet. So it may work.

Disagree. Rhoda grew BEFORE that image and, again, I think Rhoda already lost her foot and half in last two comics.

So, either artistic error or their size oscillate or something.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Because Catalina is getting closer as Rhoda is falling away in the third and fourth panels, I have less confidence in my guesstimates. I'd say in the third panel Rhoda is no taller than the middle of that filler, about 4' 2". Catalina's feet are about half the length of Rhoda's foot in the last panel, but she's closer to us, so Catalina has to be less than 25 inches tall. Call it twenty inches or about twice her height when she abandoned shirt?

Hard to follow, but I see I'm not only one who think Rhoda is smaller than normally.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I must be sleep deprived.

I look at Catalina leaping from Rhoda's jacket and immediately think, "this reminds me of the Birth of Athena".

Did Akhenaten get to you again? Is this his way of messing with you, depriving you of sleep and making unsubtle hints?

No useful thoughts on sizes, relative or not, nor on enchantments and their interactions with each other, but two ideas popped into mind and refuses to leave until I've shared them with the world. (at least I hope that will make them a bit less urgent)

First is an image of a catty Katalina making for GetTheHeckOutOfHere! Running at full tilt on all fours with her tail held high at maximum bush and passing people at a speed leaving them to wonder just what they were seeing. Surely no human can run that fast, especially not on all four... And those who know Kat being left with a feeling that this cat looks disturbingly familiar, but not quite making the connection as this obviously was an animal of some kind.

The other picture is Kat and Rhoda on their own after having escaped the mall. They've retreated home, who's home is undetermined, and Kat is sitting on the bed grooming herself just like a big cat not noticing that Rhoda is staring at her barely able to hold back a loud "Squeee!" and aching to pet her...

(OK, I've written it down, now will you please let me think of something else, you stupid brain!)

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I must be sleep deprived.

I look at Catalina leaping from Rhoda's jacket and immediately think, "this reminds me of the Birth of Athena".

Even one of Little Orphan Annie's "Leap'n Lizzards" would have been more appropriate.

I flashed on Alien...

4 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

and Kat is sitting on the bed grooming herself just like a big cat not noticing that Rhoda is staring at her barely able to hold back a loud "Squeee!" and aching to pet her...

... I think you overestimate Rhoda's self-control.