• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

Sure, we could have health care for everyone, a good education, support for the elderly and infirm, but that would be Teh Evil Gummint!!!!

Nope, it would not be Teh Evil Gummint. Based on the past record of government - US and elsewhere - in ALL of those areas, if the government is running it we won't have health care for everyone, good education, or support for the elderly and infirm. We'll just have hugely expensive programs in the name of providing those things.

True, but let's not go into the Perfect World fallacy--there are plenty of nations in the present or recent-past that have done a better job at some of these things than the current USA.

While such a scenario would be preferable to a Trump Presidency IMO, the odds of it happening are quite low, and there will be voter rebellion against the selection of someone who isn't even on the ballot in the majority of states.

He's not on the ballot in my state, and even if he were I'm committed to voting for the best shot at keeping the {expression of extreme disapproval redacted at moderator's request} out of office, but I also consider McMullin preferable to Trump. If this long-shot scenario happens, I'll cheer.

(In fact, there are quite a lot of people I would prefer over Trump. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone who sought the nomination from either major party is not on that list - and the few exceptions went down early in the primary process.)

McMullin would be a terrible president. I know it's amusing to root for the long shot, but his actual policies are atrocious and I would not want him in the White House. He's just another generic Republican who opposes LGBT rights and wants to cut benefits for the poor in order to cut taxes for the wealthy. It's like if you took Gary Johnson and replaced the good half of his platform with ****.

Not really. Hillary Clinton, Jill Stein, and Gary Johnson are all still better than Generic Republican, and I'm pretty sure all of them are still on the ballot in Utah.

21 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: Could you please tone that down? I am very concerned about this sort of loaded language.

Believe me, I did - by at least two adjectives.

But I'll go tone it down some more.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Believe me, I did - by at least two adjectives.

The Moderator: That is neither an excuse or any kind of improvement. If people cannot observe courtesy on this thread, I shall lock it again without hesitation. That is all.

On 10/17/2016 at 10:06 AM, Troacctid said:

A ham sandwich would be better than what's on the Republican ticket. And I'm a vegetarian.

I agree this year.  And I'm nominally a Republican.

ckxl5XC.jpg

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

[citation needed]

Well, just compare their policies side by side. Giant Meteor's are even more destructive than Trump's. Trump wants to deport illegal immigrants; Giant Meteor wants to kill them all. Trump would blow up the country's economy; Giant Meteor would blow up the country. Trump wants to repeal Obamacare, denying health care to millions of Americans; Giant Meteor wants to literally kill everyone. Etc.

Giant Meteor would however end all issues of inequality in all areas. No more wealth disparity. No more racism or sexism or ageism. No more poverty or poor health. No more war or crime.

You poke fun, but I have heard, over and over, Trump supporters who basically say, "I know Trump will be a disaster, but I feel like destroying the whole system is better than letting it continue!"  They basically are choosing the Giant Meteor.  It saddens me that so many people have so little faith in humanity and the future, that they honestly want to destroy what we've built up.

I can't help but sympathize with those who want to destroy the world. For many, if not most people, the world truly is horrible. But the important thing is not to lose faith in the possibility of building another, better world. The world is in a bad state, but it can be redeemed. We must hope, for that is the well-spring of all political action and life in general.

Well, my number two choice, after the Great meteor, of course in Opus and Bill.  Running with the "2 spaces after a period" platform.  While it should be "an em space after a period" 2 spaces comes close enough. 

two+spaces+grab+copy.jpg?format=500w

Thbbft+T.png?format=500w