• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

56 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Is it part of the joke that the third answer in each scenario is (unfortunately) not that far off from the truth?

I'm pretty sure it was intended that way.

A bit of context, Al Jaffee passed away recently, so it is an homage.

There's a lot of current discussion as to whether the drone attack on the Kremlin was actually Ukrainian or a Russian false flag operation. Right now we cannot determine which it is as we are missing critical information. It might be a Russian false flag op, but it is not possible to be sure it is as the Kremlin hasn't denied it as yet.

It might be a rogue group from either side, it might be Russians who want to remove Putin, it might be a third party. Not enough data, and frankly many have a vested interest in such an attack. Although if it is Putin, he does not want it to succeed.

The Ukrainian government has said that it wasn't them.  If I was going to make a symbolic attack on Russia/assassination attempt on Putin this time of year, I would wait until the May 9th victory parade.   Then you will know exactly where Putin will be and when. A short range loitering munition/suicide drone should be able to deal with him.  Granted it would need to be fairly self guiding as the amount of ECM being used in Red Square is rather high.  At least GPS is being jammed for a about a half mile radius.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Given the way their 'special military operation' in Ukraine is going, I personally would suggest they make it a defeat parade instead.

They have canceled the parade in about a dozen cities for this year.  I'v also heard that they aren't going to have any modern military stuff in the Moscow parade.

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'v also heard that they aren't going to have any modern military stuff in the Moscow parade.

If they want a 250 year old gilded carriage, I know of somone who may be interested in selling.  Chuck looked thouroughly annoyed while bouncing down the Mall in that thing.

On 5/5/2023 at 5:18 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

It might be a rogue group from either side, it might be Russians who want to remove Putin, it might be a third party. Not enough data, and frankly many have a vested interest in such an attack. Although if it is Putin, he does not want it to succeed.

Intel says the drone was a civilian drone, short range of control, had to be based locally. Probably not a Ukrainian operator; would likely stand out due to accent, and have aroused suspicion. So indications are good that the drone that was used to attack the Kremlin was controlled by Russians. A hostile group of dissidents might likely use a commercial drone, but it seems like the kind of thing for which sales might be tracked, leading back to the purchaser, and observers might notice the launch. If The Russian government wanted to do a false flag operation with minimal damage, they might have used a smaller drone; if Putin asked one of his cronies to pull it off, they might have gone shopping for the easiest thing available; less costly than a military grade drone, and they might not have wanted to expend a military drone. I think this is pointing toward a false flag self inflicted attack, albeit with some wiggle room for error.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Given the way their 'special military operation' in Ukraine is going, I personally would suggest they make it a defeat parade instead.

I appreciate the humor; officially, 'They are winning', I believe within Russia, it is illegal to suggest otherwise. So probably not within the scope of reality for Putin to suggest otherwise.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:56 AM, mlooney said:

They have canceled the parade in about a dozen cities for this year.  I'v also heard that they aren't going to have any modern military stuff in the Moscow parade.

It's also odd that they haven't had a practice yet.  I've read that they are advertising for young Slavic looking men to act as soldiers in the parade.  Not sure if that's just random rumor or not.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I've read that they are advertising for young Slavic looking men to act as soldiers in the parade.

If I were Russian, I would not answer that ad. You would now be on their radar as an acceptable asset for the Ukrainian front.

14 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If I were Russian, I would not answer that ad. You would now be on their radar as an acceptable asset for the Ukrainian front.

This is pretty much a given.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:10 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If they want a 250 year old gilded carriage, I know of somone who may be interested in selling.  Chuck looked thouroughly annoyed while bouncing down the Mall in that thing.

Well if it is antiques they are looking for, maybe they could get Chuck along with the carriage. Admittedly he is more modern than a T-54 but not by much.

Chuck was a navy man, not army so he would be a Bad Thing for an army parade  <google>  Was also a helicopter pilot for the RAF.  I also forgot that he passed the UK Army parachute course after being appointed colonel-in-chief of the Parachute Regiment in 1977.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Chuck was a navy man, not army so he would be a Bad Thing for an army parade  <google>  Was also a helicopter pilot for the RAF.  I also forgot that he passed the UK Army parachute course after being appointed colonel-in-chief of the Parachute Regiment in 1977.

Yes, he was a military participant, in what seemed to be a photo-op-centric kind of way. His bonafides are probably a bit better than Dubya's, I would guesstimate.

This scene for some reason reminds me of Oddball in Kelly's Heroes. They need the speakers on the tank.

I like the sun deck on the back. Not every tank has one of those.

Re: Photoshopping in the military hardware thread, note that it appears to be the same tank photo, but the surroundings are different. The second vehicle is missing. Might just be the same tank, different photo.

Per Washington Post, Trump had intel on nations nuclear capabilities among his stuff at Mar Lago.

Per Washington Post, Yevgeniy Prigozhin, head of the Russian mercenaries, The Wagner Group, offered to reveal Russian troop locations to Ukraine in exchange for them withdrawing from Bakhmut, where the Wagner group is taking a beating. There is speculation on his veracity, but there is clearly a deep rift between the Russian forces and the Wagner Group. He may want to avoid Russia for now.

On 5/15/2023 at 4:54 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

Per Washington Post, Yevgeniy Prigozhin, head of the Russian mercenaries, The Wagner Group, offered to reveal Russian troop locations to Ukraine in exchange for them withdrawing from Bakhmut, where the Wagner group is taking a beating. There is speculation on his veracity, but there is clearly a deep rift between the Russian forces and the Wagner Group. He may want to avoid Russia for now.

According to one interpretation what Prigozhin was offering was not the location of troops but rather their leadership. The leaders would 1) be harder to find and 2) be exactly the people Prigozhin has the biggest motive to get rid of.

Whether it is true or not doesn't really matter. At this point everyone in the top Russian leadership are so paranoid that they won't dare to ignore it. It will create even more friction between them. If this is an Ukrainian psyop, it was brilliantly aimed.

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yep. In the real world, the problem with anarchy is too many governments exercising strict control over very small areas that overlap with no agreement about how they do so.