• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Ted Cruz is still being a pain in the ass in the senate.  <Google> So is Marco Rubio.  Your right, why have they dropped below the radar?

I don't like Marco Rubio, but he seems somewhat less heinous than his crowd. Certainly, being from Florida, he appears to be a breath of sanity. (Sorry, Pharaoh, wasn't pointing a finger at you.)

Good God, to think I'm actually rooting for Disney Corp. . . .

19 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Good God, to think I'm actually rooting for Disney Corp. . . .

Yeah, it's sorta hard to deal with Disney being, if not the good guys, at least the less bad guys.

Ukraine, before the current conflict, was a theological pot luck.

Latin Rite Catholic, Eastern Rite Catholic, Ukranian Orthodox and Russian Orthodox all had a significant presence in the country and among ethnic Ukranian communities worldwide.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

[<< Please note, preposition at end!, dammit. I will not write 'To where did ...', you pedantic twit. Who talks like that?]

Allegedly, Prime Minister Winston Churchill did... at least once. "This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put."

Then there's the time a father went upstairs to read his son a bedtime story, only to have the child express disapproval of the chosen book. "What did you bring the book I don't like to be read to out of up for?" (Ending a sentence with five prepositions.)

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Allegedly, Prime Minister Winston Churchill did... at least once. "This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put."

Then there's the time a father went upstairs to read his son a bedtime story, only to have the child express disapproval of the chosen book. "What did you bring the book I don't like to be read to out of up for?" (Ending a sentence with five prepositions.)

The kid deserves a prize.

Churchill also said, "I'd drink it." More correctly, "If I were your husband, I would drink it." (allegedly)

On 5/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, mlooney said:

Yeah, it's sorta hard to deal with Disney being, if not the good guys, at least the less bad guys.

This is actually a trend from them in some ways. This is NOT a defence of them and their business methods. However, one of their business methods is to make sure that their LGBTQ employees are healthy and as well taken care of as possible. They have offered queer employees health care since the 90s, which is a BIG thing because 1) even then right wingers were furious at anyone who dared treat us as if we were human beings and 2) this was the height of the AIDS epidemic which meant added financial risk.

As far as this is concerned, I consider Disney at the very least situational allies and I am rooting for them against that fascist Santis and his loathsome policies and abuses of power. In this case the enemy of my enemy really is my friend -- at least until the battle is over.

Which may still be quite a while.

On 5/28/2023 at 7:00 AM, The Old Hack said:

This is actually a trend from them in some ways. This is NOT a defence of them and their business methods. However, one of their business methods is to make sure that their LGBTQ employees are healthy and as well taken care of as possible. They have offered queer employees health care since the 90s, which is a BIG thing because 1) even then right wingers were furious at anyone who dared treat us as if we were human beings and 2) this was the height of the AIDS epidemic which meant added financial risk.

As far as this is concerned, I consider Disney at the very least situational allies and I am rooting for them against that fascist Santis and his loathsome policies and abuses of power. In this case the enemy of my enemy really is my friend -- at least until the battle is over.

Which may still be quite a while.

That he is the alternate GQP front runner, though lagging behind the Mangled Mango Manatee, says a lot of bad things about the state of the US.

(Apologies to actual manatees. You've done nothing wrong, except maybe you, Booger*. Frolic on.)

* Semi-obscure literary reference - please respond if you know it.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

To be fair to Hitler, he at least did somewhat better during his initial invasion of Ukraine.

It must also be acknowledged that after several unsuccessful attempts on his life, Hitler managed to kill Hitler.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm a bit shocked that it's been that long ago.

It was one of the defining moments of my post military life.  To this day I try very hard to avoid buying things made in the PRC.  I'm aware that this is harder than it should be.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm a bit shocked that it's been that long ago.

The protesters thought they had a chance to safely be heard because Gorbachev was visiting Beijing.  

And they protested peacefully, even coming to attention as the Army colour guard raised & lowered the flag each day.  Right up until Gorbachev left & the PRC ordered the foreign press out of Beijing.

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

It was one of the defining moments of my post military life.  To this day I try very hard to avoid buying things made in the PRC.  I'm aware that this is harder than it should be.

Their treatment of Hong Kong qualifies as a show stopper as well.