• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, Florida does have a history of problems with elections.

Nonsense.

When Manatee County took on its present form in 1887, Bradentown (now Bradenton) won the election to become the county seat by a majority of votes.  38.

The problem isn't with the election.  The problem is with the number of people casting ballots.  As long as the number of ballots is low, they can be counted correctly.

Perhaps the political parties are giving us ever worsening candidates in an effort to make people stay away from the ballots voluntarily and thus keep the number of votes low?

7 hours ago, Troacctid said:

Which—assuming you mean Clinton and Trump respectively—is pretty ironic, when you consider that, according to Politifact, Hillary Clinton scores slightly above average on honesty (and better than any of the other candidates in the race), whereas Donald Trump is the #1 most dishonest politician they've ever rated, ever.

Well, you're also making an assumption about which one of the two I don't believe. Among other assumptions.

And I won't comment on the accuracy of any of those assumptions.

Every state should just give everyone mail-in ballots like California does. Also, everyone should automatically be registered to vote when they turn 18. And while we're at it, congressional district lines should be drawn by neutral committees, primaries should all be held on the same day, and the president should be elected by popular vote.

3 hours ago, Troacctid said:

Every state should just give everyone mail-in ballots like California does. Also, everyone should automatically be registered to vote when they turn 18. And while we're at it, congressional district lines should be drawn by neutral committees, primaries should all be held on the same day, and the president should be elected by popular vote.

I'm not American, but isn't that last one already the case?

Makes perfect sense.  The most rabid homophobes are self-hating. They have their noses rubbed in the issue day in, day out. Hypothetically, this guy suffered the horrors of guilt over doing what his body told him to do. He couldn't take the contradiction anymore.

Edited by Drachefly
sounded more confident than I meant

Also, people tend to commit violence towards people that they are familiar with more than total strangers (familiarity breeds contempt and all that).

Whatever your political viewpoint, do not spray paint you support for a candidate on your garage door like one of the people in my neighborhood; it's tacky as hell.

Also do not spray paint your support for a candidate on things that don't belong to you. (As happened twice to a sign advertising the RV park we're in.)

3 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Whatever your political viewpoint, do not spray paint you support for a candidate on your garage door like one of the people in my neighborhood; it's tacky as hell.

Yeah, tacky.  Of course that describes at least one of the leading candidates, so it might be appropriate 

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Also do not spray paint your support for a candidate on things that don't belong to you. (As happened twice to a sign advertising the RV park we're in.)

I think the word you are looking for here is not "tacky" but "Illegal".  And depending on where your polling stations are, illegal for more than one reason, and the political reason is much more likely to result in some sort of action than the vandalism reason.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2016/06/25/brexit-regret-google-search/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160626_Sunday_Best

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2016/06/25/britain-left-on-lie/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160626_Sunday_Best

Many things stuck out to me but the most important were:

1. Many Britons did not know what they were voting for when they voted leave. They didn't do the research until after the referendum. As an Australian, I can't say I was much better since I only really bothered to look up the implications on the day, but then again, I didn't have a vote.

2. Beware populist politics who will tell damaging lies to gain votes.

3. Even in the original referendum, the voting was incredibly close and did not exactly show a United Kingdom. But if they do another referendum, with a lot of leave voters feeling regret, they may show a kingdom united in staying.

Are there any British people here? What's your opinion on these things?

9 hours ago, partner555 said:

Are there any British people here? What's your opinion on these things?

[1] Yes.

[2] Would rather not talk about it just now.  The aftermath on the mood in our household, and dissenting views with some extended family, isn't very positive though.

This is technically a "happy" announcement, but I have decided to take a break from all news regarding Brexit. I had attached myself too emotionally to the event even though I'm an Australian. I need to calm myself, and perhaps make sure my away time from all Brexit news lasts as long as until the UK confirms for certain they're staying or leaving.

And already I'm breathing better.

Ps: By making this post, I hope it'll be easier to hold myself accountable to not listen to Brexit news.

3 hours ago, Myranuse said:

Eeyup, I'm a newly freed Brit here.

Errrrm....

@The Old Hack, what is the present ruling on making EU Referendum remarks outside the Politics thread?

Edit: this might, of course, impact the acceptability of my present avatar also.

Edited by HarJIT

14 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

Errrrm....

@The Old Hack, what is the present ruling on making EU Referendum remarks outside the Politics thread?

Edit: this might, of course, impact the acceptability of my present avatar also.

Making references to it should preferably be done in a non-hurtful manner. Discussing the actual referendum itself should be done solely in the political thread. As always, remember the discussion rules.