• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

510 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: I request of all of you to be exceedingly careful about how you discuss this latest horror. Please, no accusations. No matter who shot at whom, I cannot and will not view this as an act of politics but rather as an act of violence done by a very disturbed individual. To me, it is entirely irrelevant what party the victims belonged to and nor will I view the shooter as an agent of any political party. If anything, this was an act calculated to injure democracy itself. That is all.

The idea that the shooter (now dead) would be an intentional, commissioned agent of a political party is repellent.

the Capitol police who dealt with the shooter were only there because one player was high-profile enough to warrant protection as standard operating procedure.  Without him present, there would be no police and the congrespeople at the field would have had no defense.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

and the congresscritters at the field would have had no defense.

The Moderator: *wince* Could we please use 'congresspeople' or some form thereof instead? I know that it is a bipartisan in-joke but it still makes me twitch. Admittedly, that is just a personal quirk of mine, if you think I am being oversensitive about this, please disregard.

28 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: *wince* Could we please use 'congresspeople' or some form thereof instead? I know that it is a bipartisan in-joke but it still makes me twitch. Admittedly, that is just a personal quirk of mine, if you think I am being oversensitive about this, please disregard.

Fair enough.  Edited.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

There are, sad to say, people cheering the shooter.

That is almost always the case.

So, neither special election in GA nor SC managed to flip deeply red seats blue. No surprise there. The margins were as close as you might expect given the popularity of congress, of the president, and the amount of money poured in. Most surprising was the South Carolina race, which was quite close indeed and did not attract anywhere near the attention of the GA race.

Given that these seats were chosen to be vacated, it is reasonable to suppose that they were chosen partially for their safeness. These did not look like safe-seat races.

50 minutes ago, Drachefly said:

So, neither special election in GA nor SC managed to flip deeply red seats blue. No surprise there. The margins were as close as you might expect given the popularity of congress, of the president, and the amount of money poured in. Most surprising was the South Carolina race, which was quite close indeed and did not attract anywhere near the attention of the GA race.

Given that these seats were chosen to be vacated, it is reasonable to suppose that they were chosen partially for their safeness. These did not look like safe-seat races.

a close race makes sense given the hoo-hah going on right now.

My observation on the Georgia race is that as long as the Democrats thought they would win, they tried to make it all about Trump; but as soon as it was apparent they had lost, very few of them would admit that there had been any such effort. (And those few were mostly those who had been criticizing the Democrat leadership for focusing so much on Trump instead of trying to fix the party's internal issues.)

12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

My observation on the Georgia race is that as long as the Democrats thought they would win, they tried to make it all about Trump; but as soon as it was apparent they had lost, very few of them would admit that there had been any such effort. (And those few were mostly those who had been criticizing the Democrat leadership for focusing so much on Trump instead of trying to fix the party's internal issues.)

Democrat wins in solidly Republican districts would look great phrased as a referendum on Trump.  the media could run headlines like "Public has lost confidence in Trump" etc.

On 6/22/2017 at 1:47 AM, Don Edwards said:

Hmm. Well, the race as it was done locally, was about local issues. Trump and national issues, of course, are the reason the rest of us cared.

So most people talking about the race around the country were interested because of Trump. That does not mean that the race itself was actually about Trump, and still less does it mean that Ossoff's message was at all about Trump.