• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm not sure that a would call a major a high ranking officer, but they are the lowest ranked field grade officer.  Got to draw a line some where and between company grade and field grade seems to be a good line.

https://topcargo200.com/

What a waste.

Some of the entries on the chart are odd. There's a civilian oligarch, he was involved in the weapons trade, though. Another was a 'Dishonorable Mention' with no explanation.

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Some of the entries on the chart are odd. There's a civilian oligarch, he was involved in the weapons trade, though. Another was a 'Dishonorable Mention' with no explanation.

Yeah, I saw that and assumed that they were counting anyone in the Military Industrial Complex over the rank of major.

I suspect that there is at least one industry in the US that is 100% outsourced.  Coco springs to mind.  Of course that's not a vital industry, so there is that.  

I think that “agricultural products that can not grow in your nation’s native climate and soil” can be made an exception to this rule of thumb—when the European Powers tried to secure independent sources of tropical food products, it resulted in them subjugating a lot of people under their colonial empires.

However, there is no excuse for a major World Power having zero producers for a commonly-used manufactured good. It’s not like cash registers are hugely expensive to develop and produce like commercial airliners are (the market for airliners being dominated by Airbus and Boeing currently, to the detriment of Russia’s ability to maintain their current fleets).

On 7/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, mlooney said:

I suspect that there is at least one industry in the US that is 100% outsourced.  Coco springs to mind.  Of course that's not a vital industry, so there is that.  

French movies. These get 100% outsourced to France. Of course they might also justifiably be argued not to be a vital industry.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

French movies. These get 100% outsourced to France. Of course they might also justifiably be argued not to be a vital industry.

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a French movie.  

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a French movie.  

I would guess that you have and didn't know it was French. They produce a lot of movies.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Well, I don’t think I have seen a French-language movie, even if I may have seen ones produced by a French studio.

I believe I have, with subtitles, but I can't recall a title.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I would guess that you have and didn't know it was French. They produce a lot of movies.

I don't see a lot of movies.  The last movie I saw was "Midway" and before that the 1st Hobbit movie.  Before that "The Return of the King".

Sub titles and dubbed dialogue are aftermarket features often added long after the film has finished its first run at home.  Compare a dubbed French film to a high millage Renault with fresh Earl Scheib paint

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Compare a dubbed French film to a high millage Renault with fresh Earl Scheib paint

When ever I hear about French cars I'm reminded of Top Gear and The Grand Tour's "Carnage A Trois" special.  Clarkson, May and Hammond seem to have a love/hate relationship with French cars.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sub titles and dubbed dialogue are aftermarket features often added long after the film has finished its first run at home.  Compare a dubbed French film to a high millage Renault with fresh Earl Scheib paint

What's Up Tiger Lily? would be more like taking a cutting torch to your Mazda, welding the parts back together randomly, applying Bondo to the gaps, then spraying it with Krylon - not all the same color. Not really a fair comparison, and highly recommended.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

What's Up Tiger Lily? would be more like taking a cutting torch to your Mazda, welding the parts back together randomly, applying Bondo to the gaps, then spraying it with Krylon - not all the same color. Not really a fair comparison, and highly recommended.

I think the Top Gear guys did something like that during a challenge.  :-)

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Alphaville is a good, if weird, French movie.

It looks weird, but interesting.

Others are Amelie, Leon, The Professional, (Jean Reno is an all around good actor; he was the other agent that De Nero befriended in Ronin (which is not a French film, although it takes place in France with some French spoken)), Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, and La Femme Nikita, which I have never seen, but is said to be very good, and has been a basis for other works.

One observation, in a similar vein to 'They find Jerry Lewis funny ??!?', all of these movies flow along for the most part and make sense, then every now and then go off in a weird direction for a moment or sometimes longer. I am left with the impression that 'these people think differently than we do'. To be entirely fair, I take it as a given that could be said of the US when viewed from the outside.