• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

Ah, I see, the format is the same.

I wonder about ones that just say (abandoned), is this a reflection of the renowned Russia penchant for alcohol, and then misplacing the vehicle?

Is (stolen) lumped with (captured)? How does one (capture) a tank? Seems like a daunting task. It's kind of like the question, "You are arranging a gorilla cage at the zoo. You place several large rocks, an 18" wide log, several sturdy trees, and there is a clearing. Where does the 500 lb male gorilla sit in this arrangement?" - "Anywhere it f###ing wants to."

Stolen is the same as captured on Orxy.    Most tanks that are captured are in fact abandoned first.  Those that are listed as "abandoned" are generally not in good enough shape to be worth taking.  A common reason for abandoning a AFV is running out of fuel or major engine failure, both of which were common in the early days of the war.  Engine failure is still a big deal and the Russian logistical tail still sucks, so running out of fuel or ammo still happens.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Stolen is the same as captured on Orxy.    Most tanks that are captured are in fact abandoned first.  

Yeah, a tank that is crewed and still capable of maneuvering can not be captured, as the crew can simply drive away in it unless they are facing certain death from not surrendering.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

<warning, not serious>

Russia tried alcohol fuel, then the tanks never went anywhere ...

</warning, not serious>

All joking aside the USSR used (and I presume Russia still does) to use alcohol as a cooling agent for aircraft radars.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

All joking aside the USSR used (and I presume Russia still does) to use alcohol as a cooling agent for aircraft radars.

"Dammit, my radar is always overheating!"

37 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

"Dammit, my radar is always overheating!"

Yeah.  I've read that several melted before they could turn them off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/4hxm0v/the_most_russian_thing_i_ever_heard/

Here is one more
https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/78kbyc/til_that_russian_ground_crews_for_the_mig25_drank/

The chick heisting the BTR is cute, and has a flair for making it entertaining.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
misspelled 'flair'

Every instructional video should be done by cute chicks.  Make cute synonymous  with "educated and willing to share knowledge".

40 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Every instructional video should be done by cute chicks.  Make cute synonymous  with "educated and willing to share knowledge".

I would say seconded, but in all honesty I had a high school teacher that was so hawt* that her presence was a distraction to the material she was trying to teach, so I guess there are limits. (* I found out years later that apparently some of the girls thought so, too.)

On 7/1/2022 at 11:30 AM, mlooney said:

I suspect that there is at least one industry in the US that is 100% outsourced.  Coco springs to mind.  Of course that's not a vital industry, so there is that.  

On 7/5/2022 at 4:38 AM, The Old Hack said:

French movies. These get 100% outsourced to France. Of course they might also justifiably be argued not to be a vital industry.

Most Anime and Japanese Giant Monster Movies are "outsourced" to Japan. And then there are Japanese Video Games. Of course, the English translations are often done in the US, so I'm not sure it quite counts as "100% outsourced".

Edited by ChronosCat
Changed the phrasing to better fit the joke.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

They have quite a bit of that in Japan…

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Of course, the English translations are often done in the US, so I'm not sure it quite counts as "100% outsourced".

I note that you said "translations" not "dubs" avoiding the whole "Sub vs Dub" debate.  My one of my nieces is very into Anime and get quite strident about the whole issue.  She also gets cranky if I bring up "Battletech".

27 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I note that you said "translations" not "dubs" avoiding the whole "Sub vs Dub" debate.

I was once very strongly "subs only (except for people with a good reason why they can't read subtitles)", but then I encountered the argument that "reading subtitles" isn't the intended way of enjoying movies/tv/etc. any more than "dubbed into another language" is. Expecting people to learn the original language would severely limit the audience, so I'm now of the opinion "whatever works best for you". I still prefer subtitles for anything live-action that isn't meant to be extremely silly (as I can never take a live-action dub seriously), but for everything else, so long as the dub is competently done and accurate (sadly, far from a given) I tend to prefer that, as that way I don't have to keep glancing between the action and the subtitles. (For some of my favorite movies/series, I'll even watch both versions; it can be fun to compare the different performances.)

Anyway, the reason I said "translation" above was simply that for US releases, both subs and dubs are usually done in the US (or occasionally Canada).

Dubbing runs into the limitation that it has to match the number of syllables in a sentence and not just its meaning. Since Japanese tends to have words with more syllables than European languages (a result of having only about one hundred valid syllables in its phonology), this requires the dubbed translation to contain extra words most of the time.

30 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Dubbing runs into the limitation that it has to match the number of syllables in a sentence and not just its meaning. Since Japanese tends to have words with more syllables than European languages (a result of having only about one hundred valid syllables in its phonology), this requires the dubbed translation to contain extra words most of the time.

Only if you want the mouths to stay in sync with what they are saying.

8 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yes, but poor lip-sync usually brings more criticism than extra words.

Or at least more amusement.  We are past the time when all Kung-Fu movies were assumed to be out of sync.  'I had a weird experience when I was in Germany, where a Kung-fu movie was dubbed in German, but subbed in broken English.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I've seen it used as a comedic point, where the lips move for several seconds, then the character says, "No".

The movie with in a movie for Kentucky Fried Movie (A fist full of yen) had several sequences like that.