• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

Hey, I'm not talking about whether it is reasonable for Iran to be angry at the US. I'm talking about the dichotomy of Iran being at war against the US when the US is not at war against Iran.

27 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Hey, I'm not talking about whether it is reasonable for Iran to be angry at the US. I'm talking about the dichotomy of Iran being at war against the US when the US is not at war against Iran.

Oddly, when Panama declared that a state of war existed between it and the US, the US invaded.  Of course Iran never, as such, declared war on the US, just gave us casus belli by taking the staff of the embassy hostage.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Oddly, when Panama declared that a state of war existed between it and the US, the US invaded.  Of course Iran never, as such, declared war on the US, just gave us casus belli by taking the staff of the embassy hostage.

I once heard it described as 'a state of unresolved tension.' I am sure it is a great relief to the people it has so far gotten killed that they died in a state of unresolved tension and not in a war.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It kinda reminds me of Putin. He is in a state of special military operation against Ukraine. It is only the Ukrainians that are actually at war with him.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I once heard it described as 'a state of unresolved tension.' I am sure it is a great relief to the people it has so far gotten killed that they died in a state of unresolved tension and not in a war.

I live in the US of A, fifty states of unresolved conflict. 2024 is going to be such a joy. <_<

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It kinda reminds me of Putin. He is in a state of special military operation against Ukraine. It is only the Ukrainians that are actually at war with him.

The Ukrainian Nazis, who need to be liberated ... nope, nothing wrong with that ...

31 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I thought Objective Reality & Documented History were also at war with Putin.

He should be more like Donald Trump. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:59 AM, mlooney said:

unknown.png

It seems odd that the two largest and two smallest were all civil wars, but around half are civil wars, and of the rest, most are post breakup 'We want to make this stick' or 'not stick' or 'We don't agree with how we divided this'; including the current one of interest.

23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It seems odd that the two largest and two smallest were all civil wars, but around half are civil wars, and of the rest, most are post breakup 'We want to make this stick' or 'not stick' or 'We don't agree with how we divided this'; including the current one of interest.

I notice that the Danish Revolution of 1784 is not mentioned, possibly because the only bloodshed during it was the Crown Prince punching his half brother in the nose while fighting over the key to the King's bedroom.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I notice that the Danish Revolution of 1784 is not mentioned, possibly because the only bloodshed during it was the Crown Prince punching his half brother in the nose while fighting over the key to the King's bedroom.

The list did say specifically “since WWII”, which would tend to exclude events from before 1939.

I took it to mean "Since the end of WW II". I figure anything that happened during WW II would be counted as part of WW II, if only because it would have been exploited by one side or the other.

12 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I took it to mean "Since the end of WW II". I figure anything that happened during WW II would be counted as part of WW II, if only because it would have been exploited by one side or the other.

Yeah, it pretty much has to count as post WWII, as WWII had fatalities in the millions.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, ijuin said:

The list did say specifically “since WWII”, which would tend to exclude events from before 1939.

I apologise. It's just that we have a real dearth of revolutions in recent Danish history. The last one we had, in 1849, was even worse than the 1784 revolution as it involved no bloodshed at all.

It consisted of a delegation of concerned citizens that went to King Frederik the Seventh and informed him, "Your Majesty, if you do not immediately grant us a Parliament and a Constitutional monarchy, we shall have to be extremely disappointed in you. We may even go as far as to express our disapproval of you in severe terms, possibly in a stern letter written to the public."

Frederik VII, who had the determination and governing competence of a sea cucumber, thought "Oh dear. They are serious. I'd better let them have their way."

And so the modern Danish Constitutional monarchy was inaugurated, and Freddie Seven had a statue of himself erected with the legend "The love of the people is my strength."

NAFO is popular on several of the Discord servers I'm on, which lead me to the `We Are NAFO` server.  Oddly this is their last rule:

12. no talking about cia there is no cia, so don't talk about it.