• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Political Discussion Thread (READ FIRST POST)

Why in the world do people never learn? Who thinks it is a good idea to release extremely classified material on a game internet forum? I just don't get it!

You'd think the idiot leakers got slapped down so hard that eventually others tempted to do something so mind bogglingly imbecilic would realize that this was not their best idea. Or are they just not able to find them?

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There are people who will never comprehend that just because you can do something does not mean you should do that thing

I dunno. I agree with your basic premise, but it takes a special kind of stupid to have been granted access to classified information, which invariably involves a significant amount of training regarding the consequences of releasing it, and acknowledging this with your signature that you understand the consequences, then throwing all of that away to win an argument online with some bonehead you are never likely to actually meet.

The Internet seems to have lowered the bar to being stupid in this regard. Maybe it's not quite fair for me, who views the Internet as an adjunct to life, to judge someone who grew up with it and sees it as more real and central to life than I do.

Our leadership has not been a great example regarding handling classified. Trump was and is egregious, but Joe Biden and Hillary before them have been far less than stellar. (Hillary showed bad judgement, but I don't recall that classified material was involved.)

Then there's a couple of high profile cases of people releasing classified for perceived moral reasons - not looking to debate the merits, just saying, it lowers the bar for boneheads.

It does not help that the classification is often used to cover up wrongdoing. That, of course, was never it's stated intent.

Also note, I did a Google search for the story, and found that this was not one event; there have been multiple releases to War Thunder from the US and from others.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Also note, I did a Google search for the story, and found that this was not one event; there have been multiple releases to War Thunder from the US and from others.

War thunder has had, at last count 6 releases, 1 from the UK, 2 from France, 1 from the PRC and 2 from the US.  I may be missing one.

I read Putin's bio today on Wikipedia. He is quite the sleezeball. There does not appear to be much substance to his alleged 'leadership capability' - no track record to speak of. His KGB career is hardly illustrious, especially at the tail end; again, no sense of competence. Parts of his academic thesis were copied from an English text book. My impression is that he relies on being a thug, and that he is an inept klutz who will cause his few 'allies' who comply with his wishes out of fear to summon the courage to end him through overreach. That he is running Russia at all is baffling. Why? Why did anyone put this man in charge of anything? I did not realize the parallels to Trump ran so deep.

Due to his poor judgement and lack of restraint, he is a hazard to the West, and clearly he is bad for Russia; he's trashed the economy, destroyed the military, and all but disbanded journalism. Yet, like Trump, he has a base. (To bad MAD is out of print. Alfred E. Putin, "What, me MRGA?" would be a great cover.)

I often wonder if there is intelligent life on Earth.

28 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Aincent Egypt worshiped Cats.

Aincent Egypt was never harrassed by spy baloons.

Good point.  Need to look into ADC (Air Defense Cats) for the US army.

You got me wondering if there as any merit to training an eagle to tear balloons. Thinking about it, my guess was they cap out about 15,000 ft or three miles, around the height of many mountains. More would be excess and not serve a biological purpose. Turns out, in North America, Golden Eagles can fly at 12,000 if the thermals favor them. Bald Eagles hit 10,000 ft. Some species of eagles in Africa, Australia, and South America, can fly at 20,000 feet. The record holder is the  Ruppell’s griffon vulture, which has been recorded as flying at 37,000+ ft.

Birds are adapted for flying, and those that fly high are adapted for the altitude. Birds have a more efficient breathing system, flow through rather than our in and out, eagles have altitude adapted blood, and so forth. Critters, including ourselves do not do well with reduced oxygen. The high flying birds are not coming close to this thing, and they have the best shot at it.

The Chinese spy balloon was in the lower stratophere, which extends from 11 miles to 31 miles. It was above 'weather'.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The Chinese spy balloon was in the lower stratophere, which extends from 11 miles to 31 miles. It was above 'weather'.

Oh, yeah, I suspect we will know what its mission set was soon enough after they get through analyzing the wreckage. 

It is odd when Russia is importing military hardware from elsewhere ...

We do it a bit to encourage NATO solidarity. Sometimes that works well, sometimes less so.

The Soviets did this as well during the cold war.

But today, importing because you can't produce enough on your own does not speak well of your war fighting ability, Russia.

This should be concerning, because they still have a lot of nukes, and desperate people do desperate things.

Biden's trip to Kiev was ballsy, sent a powerful message, but maybe was insanely risky? It's not like the Russians have had stellar command and control to prevent an incident from happening.