• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

NP Wednesday December 28, 2016

... I'm slightly disappointed my prediction of them running on all four wasn't fulfilled. But them running super fast is also cool. And there is still possibility of them jumping into something later.

That silhouette behind them in the first panel kinda looks like Diane...

Of course, Diane currently wouldn't recognize either of them - and neither, I suspect, would any other human.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic and any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology.

2 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic and any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology.

And any technology is magic to those that don't understand it.

Just now, hkmaly said:

... I'm slightly disappointed my prediction of them running on all four wasn't fulfilled. But them running super fast is also cool. And there is still possibility of them jumping into something later.

As long as they don't pass a pet shop and catch the scent of catnip.

Let's say for the sake of argument that they have the proportional speed of cheetahs, which can sprint about four times as fast as a typical high school track team sprinter. Adjust that to their current size, and our duo are probably running at least twice as fast as any of the ordinary people who might try to chase them on foot.

13 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Tedd can confirm this. He started working at TF gun technology and ended up creating magic wands.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Let's say for the sake of argument that they have the proportional speed of cheetahs, which can sprint about four times as fast as a typical high school track team sprinter. Adjust that to their current size, and our duo are probably running at least twice as fast as any of the ordinary people who might try to chase them on foot.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were even faster.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

As long as they don't pass a pet shop and catch the scent of catnip.

... yeah, jumping into catnip would be extremely bad idea.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

yeah, jumping into catnip would be extremely bad idea freaking great idea.

There, I fixed it for you.  That's from our point of view, however.  Cat and Rhoda might not like it as much.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Tedd can confirm this. He started working at TF gun technology and ended up creating magic wands.

He hasn't actually created any wands, just watches*. Though he was pretty confident that wands were within his ability...until he learned about the will of magic.

*I know it's probably arguing semantics that watches are no different than wands, but considering the watches only work because of the high ambient energy, I would think that actual wands would have a larger spell catalyst to work anywhere. The watches are more proof of concept for Tedd  before moving to wands.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

There, I fixed it for you.  That's from our point of view, however.  Cat and Rhoda might not like it as much.

I'd say we should suggest this as a pinup, but I've been unable to drum up enough interest in the cupcake frosting frolic idea.

Just now, Scotty said:

I'd say we should suggest this as a pinup, but I've been unable to drum up enough interest in the cupcake frosting frolic idea.

Based on how most of my cats respond to catnip, the Rhoda Catgirl pinup is pretty close.

29 minutes ago, mlooney said:
32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

yeah, jumping into catnip would be extremely bad idea freaking great idea.

I meant from their point of view. I mean, they will likely like it a lot, but afterwards ...

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

He hasn't actually created any wands, just watches*. Though he was pretty confident that wands were within his ability...until he learned about the will of magic.

Will of magic didn't changed his ability. Just made mass-producing those wands bad idea.

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:

*I know it's probably arguing semantics that watches are no different than wands, but considering the watches only work because of the high ambient energy, I would think that actual wands would have a larger spell catalyst to work anywhere. The watches are more proof of concept for Tedd  before moving to wands.

I was using "magic wands" because "spell catalyst", while more exact term, isn't so obviously magic. But, yes, usual wands include some energy storage, just like Tedd's gauntlet.

It's not like watches being proof of concept before moving to wands. Tedd is programming lot of different watches as proof of concept for different spells. The reason he didn't move to wands isn't he needs more testing ; he knows how to make a wand but with ambient magic doesn't need to.

this page and the associated commentary makes me think that magic's reason for being a rotten cheat about the whole widespread magic thing is along the lines of "if everyone figures out the rules then i have to follow them consistently. i don't feel like doing that.".

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

this page and the associated commentary makes me think that magic's reason for being a rotten cheat about the whole widespread magic thing is along the lines of "if everyone figures out the rules then i have to follow them consistently. i don't feel like doing that.".

You personify the will of magic too much.

It already follows the rules consistently. It has to. Any apparent inconsistence is only due to holes in our knowledge about magic.

Just as with the quantum physics. Sure, it's impossible to predict when given unstable atom will decay, but the rules are perfectly consistent.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Your analysis of magic has a 50/50 chance of being right half of the time.

So 1 in 4 chances of being right?

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Going faster than cheetahs would be less "faster because catgirl spell" and more simply "faster because Magic speed boosting".

On 28/12/2016 at 11:33 AM, mlooney said:

And any technology is magic to those that don't understand it.

Does anyone else recall the episode or two of ST:TNG where they pose as gods/get mistaken for gods? I think, if I recall correctly, that in one instance it even becomes a film.

My memory sucks.

Apart from recalling the contents of pretty much all the EGS comics.

I'm in too deep.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 12/29/2016 at 0:20 AM, hkmaly said:

Going faster than cheetahs would be less "faster because catgirl spell" and more simply "faster because Magic speed boosting".

1) I meant faster than proportional cheetahs.

2) With some calculations based on ratio of weight and ratio of size, the highest justifiable speed can easily be higher than cheetahs.

3) Magic doesn't need to explain itself. There already isn't physical reason why cat tails and cat ears should provide ANY speed boost. If magic decides that correct speed because catgirl spell is higher than cheetahs, then it will be.

7 hours ago, Trix Marano said:

Does anyone else recall the episode or two of ST:TNG where they pose as gods/get mistaken for gods? I think, if I recall correctly, that in one instance it even becomes a film.

I know of several where someone ELSE would pose as gods (although it was even more common in TOS), but the cast? Can't remember either. Definitely not movie, there wasn't that many TNG movies so we can rule them out one by one: 7, no, 8, no, 9, no, 10, no.

Ok, now, let's use google ... Season 3 episode 4, Who Watches the Watchers. While there IS some connection to Insurrection, the society in Insurrection was nowhere near primitive enough to believe TNG cast are gods, they only pretended to be.

On den 29 december 2016 at 0:30 AM, Scotty said:

I think I've posted on this before but this time I got a new picture in my mind. Rhoda resting in the frosting like she's posing for sensual pictures. Meanwhile Catalina is furiously eating her way straight through the side leaving a Catalina sized hole.

15 hours ago, Trix Marano said:

In the episode in question, Picard even brings up how something as apparently mundane as a bow and arrow would seem magical to someone who had never seen them before. Pretty much anything that is greatly beyond a given person's understanding is effectively magic (or at least wondrous) to them.