• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Thursday December 29, 2016

So, Noah's dad was a Jerkass Victim* of Damien, then.  Is it just me or did others think "Vegeta??" at Damian's image?  Actually, my thought was "Noah's dad looked like Vegeta?  Oh, that's Damien...."

*(TVTropes link would go here, but I feel guilty about making it easy for people to lose themselves there; this way there has to be intent.  Still feel some guilt over even putting the temptation out there.)

4 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Is it just me or did others think "Vegeta??" at Damian's image?

4 hours ago, Entropy said:

For me, it's looks like Damian have Goku's hair and Magus (from Chrono Trigger) face. Very Toriyama like....

I thought Dan had always taken inspiration from DBZ when designing Damien's form for Painted Black.

Anyway, it was speculated that Noah's parents were likely involved in some way with Damien's creation, though I think it was more expected that they were just in the same facility and ended up being collateral damage from Damien's rampage. To hear that Noah's dad had direct involvement, makes me think he was a Seyunolu as well since Damien was supposed to be part of a prophecy that united all Seyunolu. Noah's mother was likely one as well which would make Noah at least second generation Seyunolu.

If Noah's father helped make Damien, does this mean that Noah and Damien are related?

And that leads me to a much older question of mine, is Luke related to C3P0?

Still, it may not matter.  At least not according to Susan.  http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2286

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

To hear that Noah's dad had direct involvement, makes me think he was a Seyunolu as well since Damien was supposed to be part of a prophecy that united all Seyunolu. Noah's mother was likely one as well which would make Noah at least second generation Seyunolu.

If Noah is a part-Uryuom mix like Grace, he would have the same limitations on using human-style magic that Grace has as exhaustively explained in the last Q & A.

Damien doesn't seem to have had a childhood; he seems to have been made in some sort of "zoom womb." You know, like the contraption that cloned Leela in a few minutes in The Fifth Element or the tube that turned out Dawnie in a few hours recently in Sailorsun.org. Or whatever turns out the replicants in Blade Runner or the clone troopers in Star Wars, etc. As Edward pointed out, the project that produced Grace, Vladia, Hedge and Guineas didn't make economic sense because they had to be raised, educated, and trained. This implies that such technology isn't known in the Moperverse, or at least isn't widely available yet.

Zoom Wombs, or (to use the jargon invented by Lois McMaster Bujold) uterine replicators with significant growth accelleration--hey, I just realized that Avatar has these too--could explain why Noah has no memory of his mother. If he has a biological mother at all, she could have been just an egg donor.

41 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Noah is a part-Uryuom mix like Grace, he would have the same limitations on using human-style magic that Grace has as exhaustively explained in the last Q & A.

Noah would be a Human/Uryuom hybrid only though, Grace is Human/Uryuom/Squirrel/Lespuko, that could be a significant difference.

As far as we've seen, Seyunolus have very limited shapeshifting ability at least until they get transformed by something like the TFG. If Noah has never been zapped before then he wouldn't be able to do much with his Uryuom power so it would be much easier to suppress it, Grace on the other hand, has many different abilities that would need to be suppressed in order to attempt to learn magic. I imagine that Adrian would have helped Noah with it as well.

58 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Zoom Wombs, or (to use the jargon invented by Lois McMaster Bujold) uterine replicators with significant growth accelleration--hey, I just realized that Avatar has these too--could explain why Noah has no memory of his mother. If he has a biological mother at all, she could have been just an egg donor.

Not necessarily, I mean, sure his "mother" may have been just a DNA donor which would explain him not knowing her, but I don't think he would have had his growth accellerated, unless he was an early attempt at creating Damien where the acceleration didn't work.

"Think of me as family" ... that reminds me:

7: Naomi Wildman, do you consider me to be family?

N: I ... I don't, I mean ... well ... yes.

N: Is ... that okay?

7: I have no objection.

N: Do you... think of me as family?

7: Yes.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If Noah's father helped make Damien, does this mean that Noah and Damien are related?

His involvement in Damien's creation might not be THAT direct.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Noah being part-Uryuom was why we GET that Q & A in first place. Sure, it was talking about Grace, but it was actually explaining how Noah can be part-Uryuom and still have magic.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

As far as we've seen, Seyunolus have very limited shapeshifting ability at least until they get transformed by something like the TFG. If Noah has never been zapped before then he wouldn't be able to do much with his Uryuom power so it would be much easier to suppress it, Grace on the other hand, has many different abilities that would need to be suppressed in order to attempt to learn magic. I imagine that Adrian would have helped Noah with it as well.

... true, there will be more to suppress for Grace ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Not necessarily, I mean, sure his "mother" may have been just a DNA donor which would explain him not knowing her, but I don't think he would have had his growth accellerated, unless he was an early attempt at creating Damien where the acceleration didn't work.

Or, possibly, only worked partially.

6 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

So, Noah never knew his mother. Is that because she is actually in Europe fighting monsters? Uryuom eggs make many things possible.

So, Tedd's androgeny is genetic, then?

(Seriously, though, I like this theory. It might explain some of Mr. Raven's thoughts re: the Verres family, too. The only problem is... why doesn't Mr. Verres know about Tedd's half-sibling? Or did he just not pipe up about it?)

48 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

(Seriously, though, I like this theory. It might explain some of Mr. Raven's thoughts re: the Verres family, too. The only problem is... why doesn't Mr. Verres know about Tedd's half-sibling? Or did he just not pipe up about it?)

Well, Noriko wanted to tell him, but with all that arguing about her going to Europe, there was no correct moment ...

... now, seriously: the major problem with this is that Raven wouldn't lie to Noah about his mother being dead. And from context, Noah is convinced his mother died before he could remember her. So, if Noah's mother is alive, Raven doesn't know. He presumably know if Noriko is alive.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
56 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

Well, Noriko wanted to tell him, but with all that arguing about her going to Europe, there was no correct moment ...

... now, seriously: the major problem with this is that Raven wouldn't lie to Noah about his mother being dead. And from context, Noah is convinced his mother died before he could remember her. So, if Noah's mother is alive, Raven doesn't know. He presumably know if Noriko is alive.

There is the question of timeline as well. As it is, Noah, Tedd and Grace are roughly the same age, give or take a couple months. Noah being born before Tedd would cut out Noriko as his mother because she wouldn't have a reason to attempt another child as she was still pregnant with Tedd and didn't yet know of his supposed magic impairment. Noah being born after Tedd would increase the chance of Noriko going to an alternate method, but Noah's father was supposedly working on creating Damien. Would Noriko have collaborated with someone who apparently felt Seyunolus were superior let alone left the child with them? The only possible explaination for Noriko being Noah's mother that I can think of would be if her DNA was taken without her knowledge, so it would make it likely that not even Edward or Adrian would know.

Assuming Noriko really is Noah's mother, I can see Raven not telling Noah that his mother is alive. Is it better to let Noah go on thinking that his mother is dead, or to let him know for sure that she doesn't want to have anything to do with rearing him? I can't answer that question, and Raven choosing to keep Noah in the dark strikes me as defensible.

27 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Assuming Noriko really is Noah's mother, I can see Raven not telling Noah that his mother is alive. Is it better to let Noah go on thinking that his mother is dead, or to let him know for sure that she doesn't want to have anything to do with rearing him? I can't answer that question, and Raven choosing to keep Noah in the dark strikes me as defensible.

But is it better to have Noah believe that Damien killed his mother, and let him go on a quest for revenge that might have ended in Noah confronting Damien and possibly getting killed as well if it wasn't for Grace confronting Damien first? Though maybe Adrian's way of guiding Noah with his magic training was a way of stalling Noah in the hopes that Damien would be dealt with by someone else.

51 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

Does Noah believe that Damien killed his mother? We know that Damien killed his father, but Noah says he never met his mother. Do we know for sure how Noah believes she died?

He believes that both parents are dead, and the context of the conversation there suggests that he believes that his mother being dead is related to Damien as well.