• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Fifteen Years of EGS

Assuming humanity survives Donald Trump taking office the day before, January 21st will mark the fifteenth anniversary of El Goonish Shive. Actually, if humanity doesn't survive, the anniversary will still come, but no one will be around to care. So take some time off from working on your fallout shelter and share your thoughts now; you may not get the chance later.

This is the first one I'll actually be around for!

I checked out some previous dates, and it's not that often that we get an update on the day of the anniversary.

Maybe this'll be the day that Dan finally posts on the sketchbook page again.

PS: I know there's a pinup section now as a replacement, but I really hope there'll be a proper sketchbook for this.

This comic passed through my life intermittently as I was growing up, and I like to think that it was one of the factors that allowed me to remember a part of myself that I didn't know that I had forgotten. I'm just glad that I'm actually transitioning instead of ending up waiting again, even though I don't know where my life will be later this year.

11 hours ago, weirdee said:

This comic passed through my life intermittently as I was growing up, and I like to think that it was one of the factors that allowed me to remember a part of myself that I didn't know that I had forgotten. I'm just glad that I'm actually transitioning instead of ending up waiting again, even though I don't know where my life will be later this year.

Another webcomic for you.

And this would be another if it weren't on an every-few-years update schedule.

(I don't know of any in the other direction.)

I'm pretty sure my first time was around Thursday, Oct 15, 2015. Or at least that was when I started to get into EGS. I found EGS while I was investigating this crossover from I Dream of a Jeanie BottleIf I actually looked it up the day that one was posted, this is what I would have found in EGS. I think that would have held my attention. I remember seeing the fairies and thinking "What the heck is going on here?" It took some more time before I got enough EGS time to appreciate the comic. It was well worth it.

I have every comic in the main storyline and the newspaper strips saved and indexed now. I thought about scripting all the dialog, but since I'm now without an OCR program (I had a great one on my previous computer that could read Japanese script!) that idea is on hold, probably permanently.

But I'm not obsessive. Really, I'm not. Honest.

Are you looking at me? Are you looking at me?

That last line was from Robert Di Niro as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver. It occurs to me that that movie is older than most of you likely to be reading this. Depressing.

I don't think you linked the right place in that first link (I don't have access to your desktop...).

I started reading EGS earlier this year last year (darn new year, making everyone make mistakes...), and finished reading it just in time for the most recent Q&A.  (Although I think I saw a few strips that were linked a few places, and some page images on TVTropes, before that.)

51 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That last line was from Robert Di Niro as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver. It occurs to me that that movie is older than most of you likely to be reading this. Depressing.

*looks up movie* Yay I feel younger now!

On 01/04/2017 at 2:12 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

I think this installment was my first introduction to EGS:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=712

Needless to say, I binge-read the comic soon afterward until I caught up.

My first EGS comics was this one, but it took me almost two years until I get to archive binge. I probably forgot about it meanwhile ...

On 05/01/2017 at 3:33 AM, Tom Sewell said:

I have every comic in the main storyline and the newspaper strips saved and indexed now. I thought about scripting all the dialog, but since I'm now without an OCR program (I had a great one on my previous computer that could read Japanese script!) that idea is on hold, probably permanently.

But I'm not obsessive. Really, I'm not. Honest.

Are you looking at me? Are you looking at me?

No, not really. I'm doing the same, and have currently compiled a collection of arcs in the form of Word documents.

On 06/01/2017 at 4:05 AM, hkmaly said:

My first EGS comics was this one, but it took me almost two years until I get to archive binge. I probably forgot about it meanwhile ...

I started on the birthday party! I found my way over to the site after seeing the quote from here, and then somehow traversed my way to the section from which it was quoted.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

My favorite line in the whole series would have to be from http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=282

"I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen-year-old female me!"

I'm pretty certain that's a favorite of many people here.

"Exhibit D's" made me laugh pretty hard, though.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, ijuin said:

My favorite line in the whole series would have to be from http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=282

"I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen-year-old female me!"

I'm pretty certain that's a favorite of many people here.

"Exhibit D's" made me laugh pretty hard, though.

I stand by my ridiculous claim.

The two comics that made me laugh the hardest?

From the main story: http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1737

For Susan's exaggerated angry white eyes and arm-flailing, and Catalina's "I THOUGHT THERE WAS NO COUCH!"

And from NP: http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=7

For the gaming market researcher's line in panel three, and the "click" sounds as the focus group guys turn off their, um, joysticks.

1 hour ago, Sjmcc13 said:

For me the comics where Elliot ask his parents for money for female clothes after being first FV5ed and when he introduces Ellen to them will always have a special place in my heart. 

Elliot's parents are some of the best and most open-minded I have ever seen in fiction.