• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Fifteen Years of EGS

9 hours ago, partner555 said:

Elliot's parents are some of the best and most open-minded I have ever seen in fiction.

"In fiction"? You've seen ones that open-minded outside of fiction?

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

"In fiction"? You've seen ones that open-minded outside of fiction?

I didn't think it was fair to compare real life parents to them. No matter how open-minded they are, a child spontaneously becoming the other gender with no warning whatsoever will cause a huge shock.

That is, of course, provided that they didn't already know that their child's best friend possessed a device capable of transforming people's bodies.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

That is, of course, provided that they didn't already know that their child's best friend possessed a device capable of transforming people's bodies.

They didn't, but since Papa Dunkel has always suspected that there was something a little odd about Tedd, it is practically the same thing.

On 11/1/2017 at 6:46 AM, partner555 said:

I didn't think it was fair to compare real life parents to them. No matter how open-minded they are, a child spontaneously becoming the other gender with no warning whatsoever will cause a huge shock.

Actually while that didn't exactly happen in my family my father's reaction to finding out his eldest child is actually female, rather than male as assigned at birth, after not seeing said child for a couple of years during which she had been on hormones and grown 'huge tracts of land', was minimal. Though I suppose it's possible that he either had a reaction that he didn't show and/or had a subconscious idea of this already. I know both my spawn and I had known subconsciously for some time before the reveal.

It's also somewhat different than what happened with Elliot, as that was over a much shorter time frame.

@Scotty

Found this:

"This wound up getting posted on a Thursday, which I find somewhat frustrating. The day before it was Wednesday, January 21st, AKA the day it should have been posted, AKA Squirrel Appreciation Day, and AKA the 13th anniversary of El Goonish Shive. Woo." -- Dan Shive, 2015. 

-- http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2014

Edit: looks like Squirrel Appreciation Day predates EGS: http://mentalfloss.com/article/54634/happy-squirrel-appreciation-day

Edited by HarJIT

8 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

@Scotty

Found this:

"This wound up getting posted on a Thursday, which I find somewhat frustrating. The day before it was Wednesday, January 21st, AKA the day it should have been posted, AKA Squirrel Appreciation Day, and AKA the 13th anniversary of El Goonish Shive. Woo." -- Dan Shive, 2015. 

-- http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2014

I think I was on my second or third full readthrough of the comic while trying to read all the commentaries as well back then and apparently I still forgot about that. LOL.

My memory of when I started reading EGS isn't the best, but it was sometime prior to or during Painted Black I believe (As I at least do remember waiting to see what would happen during the Damien fight). I was somewhere in the range of 12-13 years old, closer to the former. There's a reason I don't remember the specifics of where the comic was at the time...

I remember the comic was here when I started reading it. I got caught up in three days. Yeah, I read fast. And also have no life. I actually found the comic when I noticed that it was listed as an example for most, if not all, of the Gender Bender tropes on TV Tropes.