• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday January 6, 2017

So, now that she has figured out that there is a purpose behind Tedd being a Seer, the next step is to figure out enough about this purpose that she can aid in its fulfillment.

10 minutes ago, ijuin said:

So, now that she has figured out that there is a purpose behind Tedd being a Seer, the next step is to figure out enough about this purpose that she can aid in its fulfillment.

First she needs to make sure the purpose is to Tedd's liking.

Great Friday cliffhanger strip.

To be honest, I not quite sure why this arc, at this point is Sisters III.  Unless the bringing of Susan and Diane is going to have an effect on magic, the sister side is rather weak.  And some how this all ties into hell being rained down on Moperville.

It's about to get weird.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Great Friday cliffhanger strip.

To be honest, I not quite sure why this arc, at this point is Sisters III.  Unless the bringing of Susan and Diane is going to have an effect on magic, the sister side is rather weak.  And some how this all ties into hell being rained down on Moperville.

It's about to get weird.

It's like the EGS: NP strip, only on a larger scale. The story has been setting things up for quite a while. This means we are still in the lowjinks phase.

4 hours ago, partner555 said:
4 hours ago, ijuin said:

The question is, how would she do that? One way would probably be to just let the system change and help Tedd with figuring out the new system, but then that doesn't help with the fact that he desired to give magic to everyone.  Tedd's gift seems more like a curse because sure he can keep his magic and quickly relearn how magic works, but he'd be constantly reminded that magic could change at any given moment if too many people learn about it so he could never fulfill his dream.

I'm just hoping that Pandora's realization is that Tedd's gift was a clue to the fact that Magic can change, and she'd have a "It was there all this time, warning me about the danger of what I was doing" moment.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Considering a portion of Sister 2 consisted of Susan dealing with the school uniforms and the other students giving her a hard time trying to at least change the policy. And another portion was about Ellen and Nanase relationship, it wasn't all focused Ellen and Elliot.

Sister III does have a broader scope it seems, and is certainly on track to eclipsing Sister 2 in the number of parts it has by a great deal, but we've already had one portion that lives up to the name in that Susan was finally told about Diane, and while there's been some doubt cast about whether or not they are sisters (full or half) the main cast still believes they are related so that's one aspect so far, we've yet to see anything related to Elliot and Ellen specifically come up yet but I imagine that it's coming soon(tm).

I'm going to say that what magic wants is for magitech, not everyone to have magic. And thus, Tedd's actually been fulfilling his purpose, but thinks he's destroying it in a state of cosmic irony. Guess 2: that magic is changing regardless, and wants Tedd to figure out for people how to adapt.

1 hour ago, Aura Guardian said:

I'm going to say that what magic wants is for magitech, not everyone to have magic. And thus, Tedd's actually been fulfilling his purpose, but thinks he's destroying it in a state of cosmic irony. Guess 2: that magic is changing regardless, and wants Tedd to figure out for people how to adapt.

Edward said that even with the stuff Tedd's doing, the watches, wanting to make wands with spells, etc, it would allow people to develop their own magic and get their own spells. Tedd could probably figure out a way to prevent a spell from tapping into a person's energy and only take from ambient energy or have what amounts to a mana-battery included with the catalyst that must be recharged after a couple uses, but then there's the issue of when someone goes to reverse engineer the devices, finds the locks, and accuses Tedd of attempting to keep people from realizing their full potential. It would create a bunch conspiracy theories that Tedd could be working with the military who would have full access while everyone else got nerfed products, or that there's some sort of elite group that has a monopoly on magic spells and is trying to profit on keeping people from getting their own spells for free.

For the second guess. It's possible that Pandora's plan will fail, or maybe she decides to cancel the plan and just let it happen. As I said before, that doesn't really make up for the fact that Tedd wanted to give everyone magic, he still wouldn't be able to do that, so I don't see him jumping at the chance to figure out the new system, he'd likely question the point in even trying if there's the possibility of it changing again.

13 hours ago, partner555 said:
13 hours ago, ijuin said:

I think that just the fact it HAS purpose would be very much to Tedd's liking.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

The question is, how would she do that? One way would probably be to just let the system change and help Tedd with figuring out the new system, but then that doesn't help with the fact that he desired to give magic to everyone.  Tedd's gift seems more like a curse because sure he can keep his magic and quickly relearn how magic works, but he'd be constantly reminded that magic could change at any given moment if too many people learn about it so he could never fulfill his dream.

That purpose might NOT be limited to helping after magic change ... although, yes, seems thats the main purpose of it.

In fact, he seems to already be using that gift a lot, and did even before he realized he has it.

5 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Maybe it's one guess. Maybe magic wants to change and magitech is supposed to be the new rules.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Edward said that even with the stuff Tedd's doing, the watches, wanting to make wands with spells, etc, it would allow people to develop their own magic and get their own spells. Tedd could probably figure out a way to prevent a spell from tapping into a person's energy and only take from ambient energy or have what amounts to a mana-battery included with the catalyst that must be recharged after a couple uses

I don't think that would solve the problem. Also, it wouldn't help Tedd - his goal WAS help people develop their own magic.

but then there's the issue of when someone goes to reverse engineer the devices, finds the locks, and accuses Tedd of attempting to keep people from realizing their full potential. It would create a bunch conspiracy theories that Tedd could be working with the military who would have full access while everyone else got nerfed products, or that there's some sort of elite group that has a monopoly on magic spells and is trying to profit on keeping people from getting their own spells for free.

That conspiracy theory would be VERY close to truth. Especially considering that military would totally be first to unlock that and get full products. And that elite group already exists and main eight are all inside.

For the second guess. It's possible that Pandora's plan will fail, or maybe she decides to cancel the plan and just let it happen.

It's also possible that her plan would technically work but too late.

As I said before, that doesn't really make up for the fact that Tedd wanted to give everyone magic, he still wouldn't be able to do that, so I don't see him jumping at the chance to figure out the new system, he'd likely question the point in even trying if there's the possibility of it changing again.

I don't think that it will change again. I think that if the magic will change, it will be somehow adapting to current reality and the new rules would prevent from magic going mainstream even if Tedd makes everything public - because getting magic would be harder somehow and knowledge wouldn't be the major limiting factor.

Which doesn't change the fact that Tedd wouldn't welcome it and that it wouldn't help him reach his goal. Probably. Unless Disco Wizard understood the objectives incorrectly.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Probably. Unless Disco Wizard understood the objectives incorrectly.

I find that a distinct possibility.  He doesn't exactly know what he's actually doing....

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:
20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Probably. Unless Disco Wizard understood the objectives incorrectly.

I find that a distinct possibility.  He doesn't exactly know what he's actually doing....

True. But with Pandora remembering previous magic reset and generally accepting what he said, his credibility got up. Pity. I would prefer if Tedd would succeed in his plan.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That conspiracy theory would be VERY close to truth. Especially considering that military would totally be first to unlock that and get full products. And that elite group already exists and main eight are all inside.

Yeah, Edward said there was already a black market for magic items, but it's "a small one that's relatively easy to manage and fueled more by fiction than actual dangerous magic", which I imagine is mainly used by those already in the know about magic and it's rare that some random person stumbles upon it. And yeah it would be truth, but I doubt anyone would believe the whole "We can't let everyone have their own magic because Magic itself will end up taking it all away from us" explaination.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think that it will change again. I think that if the magic will change, it will be somehow adapting to current reality and the new rules would prevent from magic going mainstream even if Tedd makes everything public - because getting magic would be harder somehow and knowledge wouldn't be the major limiting factor.

Disco Wizard compared the system change to being as if someone changed the operating system on everyone's computer, but it could also be compared to using a different programing language (how the spells work) and how it handles resources (magic energy), I don't think it'll ever be like "only people with red hair and green eyes can have magic" or "one in every 50000 people born in the world can have magic".

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Disco Wizard compared the system change to being as if someone changed the operating system on everyone's computer, but it could also be compared to using a different programing language (how the spells work) and how it handles resources (magic energy), I don't think it'll ever be like "only people with red hair and green eyes can have magic" or "one in every 50000 people born in the world can have magic".

There are already people born with magic talent. Not sure how many of them are, but Disco Wizard hinted that will stay. It's possible that not only the principle, but even who those people are. He also said there will be some way for people without talent to get magic. I'm thinking THAT bit will become harder, and possibly less knowledge-based. I'm not sure HOW exactly it could work, but I expect magic is better in this than me, and has more experience. I'm sure magic is not going to reset just to risk another reset few years later for basically same reason.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There are already people born with magic talent. Not sure how many of them are, but Disco Wizard hinted that will stay. It's possible that not only the principle, but even who those people are. He also said there will be some way for people without talent to get magic. I'm thinking THAT bit will become harder, and possibly less knowledge-based. I'm not sure HOW exactly it could work, but I expect magic is better in this than me, and has more experience. I'm sure magic is not going to reset just to risk another reset few years later for basically same reason.

How difficult it can be for someone not born with innate talent, sure, I just don't see it ever being impossible for someone to get magic in any system. Magic is described as having a flair for the dramatic, restricting who is able to get magic reduces the chances for dramatic moments greatly, so making it possible for anyone to get magic gives some randomness which the Will of Magic wants to maintain and so a system change would be more like wiping the slate and starting over from scratch with everyone back on even footing except those who are born with the ability to see how that system changed and kickstart things.

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

How difficult it can be for someone not born with innate talent, sure, I just don't see it ever being impossible for someone to get magic in any system.

I never said impossible.

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Magic is described as having a flair for the dramatic, restricting who is able to get magic reduces the chances for dramatic moments greatly, so making it possible for anyone to get magic gives some randomness which the Will of Magic wants to maintain

Technically, we don't know if the "flair for the dramatic" is part of "core" rules or if this can be changed ... but I suspect it's core as well.

54 minutes ago, Scotty said:

so a system change would be more like wiping the slate and starting over from scratch with everyone back on even footing

Except the people with hereditary magic talent, likely ...

No. Just wiping the state wouldn't be enough. As I said, I'm sure magic is not going to reset just to risk another reset few years later for basically same reason. Note that current magic system is DIFFERENT from the system in which whole horde had same fire-based spell. Specifically, magic is highly connected to individuals desire, making harder to make army with same spells. DGB needs wands to get standard spells for agents.

The primary things which are certainly due to change includes ASMA for example: the anime martial arts were relatively simple way for almost anyone to get magic (it didn't worked for Eric, sure, but it seems quite reliable). If it would get known that it actually works, how hard would be to start training thousand people like that? Hundred of thousand?

After reset, not only the specific methods used in ASMA wouldn't work. There won't be any method which would be possible to replicate as easily.

Also, I think that the rule that you can awaken by using magic device like Tedd's watches is going to change. Again, not only all existing magic devices will likely stop working, I think that it wouldn't be possible to create device with such sideefect so easily.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

except those who are born with the ability to see how that system changed and kickstart things

And people around them, logically. But even them will likely have hard time finding out everything quickly.

16 hours ago, mlooney said:

To be honest, I not quite sure why this arc, at this point is Sisters III.

There are three sisters shown in the cover page: Susan, Diane, and Ellen. But considering how important Tedd is becoming in this arc, maybe there's another sister waiting in the wings: Tedd's. The Shive Himself said in Family Ties that Tedd may have at least one sibling.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
17 hours ago, mlooney said:

To be honest, I not quite sure why this arc, at this point is Sisters III.

There are three sisters shown in the cover page: Susan, Diane, and Ellen. But considering how important Tedd is becoming in this arc, maybe there's another sister waiting in the wings: Tedd's. The Shive Himself said in Family Ties that Tedd may have at least one sibling.

There is only one problem with that: It's likely son. On the other hand, Tedd shouldn't have problem being sister in that relationship :)

Alternatively, also not featured on cover, there is another pair of sisters which might appear: Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There is only one problem with that: It's likely son. On the other hand, Tedd shouldn't have problem being sister in that relationship :)

Alternatively, also not featured on cover, there is another pair of sisters which might appear: Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune.

And there's another candidate for a sister on the cover page: Magus. Long ago I proposed that Magus is an alternate-world version of Elliot. If Magus finally gets Ellen to zap Elliot again and create a body for Magus, wouldn't that body likely be a female version of Elliot/Magus?

BTW, the Dewitchery Diamond is part of the process to restore Magus. Or at least Pandora said so. So maybe we'll be seeing that mysterious warehouse again before the end of this arc. And maybe Abraham too?

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Technically, we don't know if the "flair for the dramatic" is part of "core" rules or if this can be changed ... but I suspect it's core as well.

Yeah, I suspect if there's a Will Of Magic, then Will's personality won't change so much as to change that.  (Hmm, did I just give Magic a name?  I guess "Will" isn't a bad one.... ;-) )

The primary things which are certainly due to change includes ASMA for example: the anime martial arts were relatively simple way for almost anyone to get magic (it didn't worked for Eric, sure, but it seems quite reliable).

Greg had enough ASMA students to keep his dojo open for quite a while, but it seems only Elliot, Nanase, and Justin actually gained magic from it.  It came easily for Greg, Elliot, and Nanase, more slowly for Justin.  So far as I can tell, "everyone else" was like Eric, not getting anything out of it, and sooner or later quit coming.  That doesn't seem very reliable to me.  Greg quit teaching it because there was a chance another student could gain magic and turn out to be more supervillain than superhero.

Also, note that none of them Awakened without outside influence, either an Immortal or the Diamond.  Well, okay, we don't know for sure whether Greg has Awakened, but neither does Dan, yet....

Also, I think that the rule that you can awaken by using magic device like Tedd's watches is going to change. Again, not only all existing magic devices will likely stop working, I think that it wouldn't be possible to create device with such sideefect so easily.

I dunno, Will has some sort of purpose for Tedd, I could see it being a new Age Of the Technomage, where magitech is even moreimportant to gaining your own power, or possibly all magic working through magitech and people varying in how easily they can create and use it.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Doesn't mean he couldn't also have a sister.  There's been plenty of time for more than one sibling, even without Uryuom eggs and such.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Good thought!  But there is an awful lot going on to throw in Noriko showing up as well....not impossible, but I'm skeptical.

And there's another candidate for a sister on the cover page: Magus. Long ago I proposed that Magus is an alternate-world version of Elliot. If Magus finally gets Ellen to zap Elliot again and create a body for Magus, wouldn't that body likely be a female version of Elliot/Magus?

Your alternate-world Elliot hypothesis is superfluous: If Magus gets Ellen to zap Elliot again, the body will look like Ellen, again, and after use of Dewitchery Diamond it will be another sister ...

BTW, the Dewitchery Diamond is part of the process to restore Magus. Or at least Pandora said so. So maybe we'll be seeing that mysterious warehouse again

Unless they put Dewitchery Diamond elsewhere.

before the end of this arc.

Maybe ... or there will be Sister IV.

And maybe Abraham too?

Extremely likely. He's certainly going to un-stone when Dewitchery Diamond will be activated.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yeah, I suspect if there's a Will Of Magic, then Will's personality won't change so much as to change that.  (Hmm, did I just give Magic a name?  I guess "Will" isn't a bad one.... ;-) )

Let's hope Riker wouldn't mind sharing.

But I don't think Will of Magic has successfully human personality to need name.

5 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Greg had enough ASMA students to keep his dojo open for quite a while, but it seems only Elliot, Nanase, and Justin actually gained magic from it.  It came easily for Greg, Elliot, and Nanase, more slowly for Justin.  So far as I can tell, "everyone else" was like Eric, not getting anything out of it, and sooner or later quit coming.  That doesn't seem very reliable to me.  Greg quit teaching it because there was a chance another student could gain magic and turn out to be more supervillain than superhero.

He might be persistent and teach the dojo with like five or six students. And some might quit for other reasons, too soon for any results. But, true ; we don't have enough data to determine how reliable Greg's method was.

9 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Also, note that none of them Awakened without outside influence, either an Immortal or the Diamond.

While true, I would say that they were already at point where they would get angst-induced awakening if they would get any reason.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Your alternate-world Elliot hypothesis is superfluous: If Magus gets Ellen to zap Elliot again, the body will look like Ellen, again, and after use of Dewitchery Diamond it will be another sister ...

Yes, and Tedd thinks he'd be able to make a wand that can permanently change someone else's default sex.  Magus would not necessarily have to go back to his home universe in a female body.

I do still think in the end, Magus will prove to be a good guy, and the gang will actively help him get back home.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Superfluous? Why the heck does (the) Magus (I suspect it's a title, not the actual given name of the character) have to have Ellen and Elliot to do whatever he must do to get a body back? It's a plot gimmick like Jake Sully being the only other person who can use Tommy Sully's avatar body. And take a look at Terra in the magical sparring that led to the Magus losing his body in the first place. Terra looks like TeddAnd (the) Magus is in the cover page for Sister III, the first cover page The Shive has done since Sister II.

(Note: I tried to answer by editing previous post before I noticed you posted again ; I'm not sure when you read it, look for other reactions there)

33 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I dunno, Will has some sort of purpose for Tedd, I could see it being a new Age Of the Technomage, where magitech is even moreimportant to gaining your own power, or possibly all magic working through magitech and people varying in how easily they can create and use it.

The second one isn't in conflict with what I said. Or, maybe in the new Age of the Technomage, most magic is magitech but it must be tailored for specific person, is no longer universal. There are lot of option for magitech which don't involve awakening half of population through use of mass-produced watches.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Doesn't mean he couldn't also have a sister.  There's been plenty of time for more than one sibling, even without Uryuom eggs and such.

True. He can already have ten siblings. All seers. Noriko is furious, because her list of different possible talents is already half filled and it's getting harder to find someone with proper talent willing to have sex with her. Like, there is the summoning, but while she found four woman with that talent, only man she found is 14.

Yes, he could have more than one sibling, but based on that hint I would expect we will at least seen brother first.

Good thought!  But there is an awful lot going on to throw in Noriko showing up as well....not impossible, but I'm skeptical.

I don't think showing Noriko would bring more complications than Tedd's sibling. In fact, unless my wild speculation about Noriko abandoning all her children is true, I would expect both Noriko and her other child will show together.

Note also that this arc could easily involve Noriko and Mrs. Kitsune as another pair of sisters by showing us some flashback story, just like we got flashback about Pandora. That would bring less complications.

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, and Tedd thinks he'd be able to make a wand that can permanently change someone else's default sex.  Magus would not necessarily have to go back to his home universe in a female body.

As if he would know HOW to get back in his home universe.

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I do still think in the end, Magus will prove to be a good guy, and the gang will actively help him get back home.

Maybe eventually ... ability to get to other universe is likely to move forward Lord Tedd story line. Either they get it from him, or he will notice they have it and try to prevent them from using it. So, I don't think it will came anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Superfluous? Why the heck does (the) Magus (I suspect it's a title, not the actual given name of the character) have to have Ellen and Elliot to do whatever he must do to get a body back? It's a plot gimmick like Jake Sully being the only other person who can use Tommy Sully's avatar body. And take a look at Terra in the magical sparring that led to the Magus losing his body in the first place. Terra looks like Tedd. And (the) Magus is in the cover page for Sister III, the first cover page The Shive has done since Sister II.

Title? Terra doesn't seem to use it as title, especially if you assume they are friends.

But, yes, superfluous. As I said: even if he wouldn't be Elliot alternate, he would still became his sister. The question of why he can't use anyone else is unrelated to that. But note that it can be Pandora's fault - I mean, maybe he CAN use someone else but Pandora pointed him to Elliot and he's not aware there would be other options.

(Note that I think he needs specifically the two people already divided by diamond to interact. There isn't that many people divided by diamond and making another pair might be harder than getting Ellen to zap Elliot. Pandora helped him with Elliot and might be reason why he chosen him.)

Pandora is perhaps more experienced with magic and unusual forms of rational thought than any living being in Moperville.  And she is only now realizing that Magic has a reason for what it does.  I think this is just another good illustration of how self centered Ms Box really can be.

So magic has a reason for what it does, and that reason may not necessarily make sense to the typical human.

Come on Dame Chaos.  Put that twisted mind of yours to work.  If anyone can decipher the irrational rationality of magic, we know it is you.

Who knows?  Perhaps she will prevent the sudden change to the rules of magic in her world.  Maybe she can guide the new rules of magic into something that will keep dangerous people from getting harmful spells while allowing legitimate magic students to keep using their art.

If she can pull off something like that, she may finally have a great accomplishment plus a good family legacy to leave herself after she resets.