• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday January 6, 2017

18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Pandora is perhaps more experienced with magic and unusual forms of rational thought than any living being in Moperville.  And she is only now realizing that Magic has a reason for what it does.  I think this is just another good illustration of how self centered Ms Box really can be.

She works with magic all the time ... which may make her LESS likely to notice stuff like that. Similarly, I have lot of experience with computers ; I often joke about computer being haunted or malicious, but it would take me very long before seriously considering such possibility.

So magic has a reason for what it does, and that reason may not necessarily make sense to the typical human.

Come on Dame Chaos.  Put that twisted mind of yours to work.  If anyone can decipher the irrational rationality of magic, we know it is you.

That WOULD be worth the try.

Who knows?  Perhaps she will prevent the sudden change to the rules of magic in her world.  Maybe she can guide the new rules of magic into something that will keep dangerous people from getting harmful spells while allowing legitimate magic students to keep using their art.

That would be quite an accomplishment. The line between art and weapon is thin.

If she can pull off something like that, she may finally have a great accomplishment plus a good family legacy to leave herself after she resets.

... but the idea that she will reset afterwards is the least probable part of that. Unless her reset would be somehow part of that change and she takes that as sacrificing herself for her sons good.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, anything that has the potential to benefit can also have the potential to harm. Anything can be weaponized.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, anything that has the potential to benefit can also have the potential to harm. Anything can be weaponized.

The most dangerous thing in this area is though.

Let's take Newton for example: Qu.30: Are not gross Bodies and Light convertible into one another, and may not Bodies receive much of their Activity from the Particles of Light which enter their Composition?...
The changing of Bodies into Light, and Light into Bodies, is very conformable to the Course of Nature, which seems delighted with Transmutations.

It took few centuries to prove that indeed, they are. Three practical demonstration followed: At Trinity site, Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Although optics already hadn't clear score. It's very pretty subject closely related to art, but I don't think Romans on those ships enjoyed Archimedes showing it to them, even if it wasn't actually burning the ships.

On Pandora being "slow" to realize that Magic has a purpose for things, it was literally only yesterday that she got confirmation that Magic has an independent mind of its own, as opposed to merely being us anthropomorphising it like Fate or Luck. She has thus had less than a day to actually absorb this idea, and the majority of her Sunday so far has been focused on the preparations for the removal of her magic dam.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:53 AM, hkmaly said:

But, yes, superfluous.

The Moderator: The use of the word 'superfluous' in this context is more than a little rude, I fear. The theory in question may be speculation but that does not mean that the speculation is not on topic or unwelcome. "I do not agree with you" would be blunt but far less rude. Or just "it is possible but not necessarily so."

~tOH.

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

it was literally only yesterday that she got confirmation that Magic has an independent mind of its own

I though it was this night. That counts as "today" for me. Grace might be going to sleep before midnight, unlike me, but that was supposed to be her LAST dream, so close to morning ...

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
On 01/07/2017 at 5:53 AM, hkmaly said:

But, yes, superfluous.

The Moderator: The use of the word 'superfluous' in this context is more than a little rude, I fear. The theory in question may be speculation but that does not mean that the speculation is not on topic or unwelcome. "I do not agree with you" would be blunt but far less rude. Or just "it is possible but not necessarily so."

No offence was intended, seems it's language confusion - I either used too much or not enough math language, probably.

I'll try once again: Tom said two hypothesis, A and B, and formulated them as "A therefore B". I said that A is superfluous for B - that B can easily be true even if A isn't.

Hmmm ... another way to put it is "A is not necessary for B", but I'm not sure how to formulate it without formalizing it as hypothesis A and hypothesis B as I just did.

The hypothesis A is obviously the one that Magus is Elliot's alternate. The hypothesis B is that Magus will count as someone's sister in this story.

Magus ending up as another sister to Elliot is impossible really, the whole idea of Ellen being Elliot's sister is from the fact that she never existed before the diamond, sure there are alternates of Elliot that were named Ellen but that's in realities where Elliot was born female and we know of 2 where that's happened, Beta Tedd's reality and the reality where Ellen got her second life memories from. Ellen is a direct copy of Elliot with all his memories up until the diamond with the only difference being she's female. Magus on the other hand, was born in another reality, has his own memories of growing up there, and then was displaced to the prime reality for some reason.

The plan for getting back is to get Ellen to zap Elliot with Magus in the path of the beam so that he can get pushed into Elliot's body, with the hope that he can take control long enough to touch the diamond again to get separated from Elliot. Yes, this will create a duplicate body of Elliot's but it won't duplicate Elliot's memories but instead it would transfer's Magus' consciousness into the new body. Also one thing to consider, is Magus probably doesn't need Elliot's body to remain female, it's possible that all the diamond needs to detect is 2 consciousnesses in one body to think that a curse is at play and separate them. Magus could easily just convince Ellen to zap Elliot back to normal again after he's taken control.

After the separation, it's possible that Elliot might have been aware of Magus being in his head and know that "family" wouldn't apply to Magus like it does with Ellen, and I doubt Magus would allow that either.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The plan for getting back is to get Ellen to zap Elliot with Magus in the path of the beam so that he can get pushed into Elliot's body, with the hope that he can take control long enough to touch the diamond again to get separated from Elliot.

Errrr... the presumed plan. Yes, this is not impossible and is in fact my own hypothesis. But I am not so much in love with it that I won't consider the possibility that I am wrong and that something else will happen.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Yes, this will create a duplicate body of Elliot's but it won't duplicate Elliot's memories but instead it would transfer's Magus' consciousness into the new body.

We don't know enough about how diamond works for this ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also one thing to consider, is Magus probably doesn't need Elliot's body to remain female, it's possible that all the diamond needs to detect is 2 consciousnesses in one body to think that a curse is at play and separate them.

... or this, but yes, it is possible ... on the other hand, even if it would work that way, he might want to remain woman just to be SURE that there is curse the diamond is able to detect.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Magus could easily just convince Ellen to zap Elliot back to normal again after he's taken control.

Depends on details of the plan. He might consider safer to escape immediately instead of trying to pretend nothing happened and let Ellen cast on him.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

After the separation, it's possible that Elliot might have been aware of Magus being in his head and know that "family" wouldn't apply to Magus like it does with Ellen, and I doubt Magus would allow that either.

There may be need to pretend being another sister - or Ellen might just assume him being another sister while hunting him/her because not being able to consult with Elliot. Either scenario could make Magus temporary get the "title" of sister.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Magus ending up as another sister to Elliot is impossible really

Conclusion: I don't think it's impossible. On the other hand, based on what you said, I started doubting it's as certain as I though it is. The situation is more complicated ...

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... or this, but yes, it is possible ... on the other hand, even if it would work that way, he might want to remain woman just to be SURE that there is curse the diamond is able to detect.

One attempt with the diamond takes just a couple seconds... go in male, touch it, check for separation. If no separation then switch to female and try again.

After all, we don't know what happens if the diamond's magic detects TWO curses. Better to not try it with any curses that matter to anyone.

38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Depends on details of the plan. He might consider safer to escape immediately instead of trying to pretend nothing happened and let Ellen cast on him.

There may be need to pretend being another sister - or Ellen might just assume him being another sister while hunting him/her because not being able to consult with Elliot. Either scenario could make Magus temporary get the "title" of sister.

The main issue, if Magus wanted to hide his intentions for Elliot from anyone, if he succeeded in getting Ellen to zap him into Elliot's body, it'd probably be difficult to convince Ellen to not zap him back to normal. Then there is the matter of getting back to the diamond if it's still in the same location (if they moved it, then things will be even more difficult unless Magus found where it was moved to before hand).

Of course, there is the possibility that Magus might be able to manipulate Elliot into morphing into another form first, thus he could just let Ellen zap Elliot back to male but then have Elliot morph again later if he's worried that just being in Elliot's head isn't enough for the diamond to separate them, and none of the others would suspect anything.

Also we've yet to see what Elliot's spellbook has now that he's fully accepted his female morphs. Maybe he finally has male morphs that Magus could use, maybe even his own form is different enough from Elliot's that it would work to get his exact body back.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

One attempt with the diamond takes just a couple seconds... go in male, touch it, check for separation. If no separation then switch to female and try again.

After all, we don't know what happens if the diamond's magic detects TWO curses. Better to not try it with any curses that matter to anyone.

Good point. If another "curse" is needed, it's not like Elliot isn't able to enchant himself on his own.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

The main issue, if Magus wanted to hide his intentions for Elliot from anyone, if he succeeded in getting Ellen to zap him into Elliot's body, it'd probably be difficult to convince Ellen to not zap him back to normal.

Not exactly. It's true that if he would want to pretend nothing happened to ELLEN then she will likely zap him to normal. He can still pretend to anyone else, like Tedd.

Then there is the matter of getting back to the diamond if it's still in the same location (if they moved it, then things will be even more difficult unless Magus found where it was moved to before hand).

I'm assuming that Magus knows where it is. It would be very amateurish from him to neglect - ... ok, he may totally not know.

Also we've yet to see what Elliot's spellbook has now that he's fully accepted his female morphs. Maybe he finally has male morphs that Magus could use, maybe even his own form is different enough from Elliot's that it would work to get his exact body back.

Personally I don't believe Elliot will get male morphs. It wouldn't make any sense. Most likely, his next spell has nothing to do with sex.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Personally I don't believe Elliot will get male morphs. It wouldn't make any sense. Most likely, his next spell has nothing to do with sex.

Personally I do believe that when Elliot eventually checks his grimoire it will have grown so much that he'll just put it down and call Noha to see if he want to go shoot some hoops...

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

English had only two usable words for this

Please note that English has a LOT of words for sex.  But the number of those words that are safe to use in a public forum is rather limited.

I'm aware there are other words for the sex in the OTHER sense than what I meant originally.

I'm aware there are other words for the sex in the OTHER sense than what I meant originally.

Plumbing, "those" parts, genital conformation, plug vs socket....or, if you want names for specific parts, for the lady parts there's an extensive list in The Vagina Monologues, and for the boy parts you can strut, swagger, or moonwalk your way over to Sailor Jim's notorious essay.

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Plumbing, "those" parts, genital conformation, plug vs socket....or, if you want names for specific parts, for the lady parts there's an extensive list in The Vagina Monologues, and for the boy parts you can strut, swagger, or moonwalk your way over to Sailor Jim's notorious essay.

Not the correct sense either - I don't want names for specific parts. (Hmmm ... maybe genital conformation, but that's not exactly "word", it's phrase) Note the wikipedia article sex or collins dictionary, meanings 1 and 2.

Thesaurus suggests gender, nothing else.