• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
partner555

Story Wednesday Jan 11 2017

Sirleck is getting more amoral by the minute. Soon enough, Magus will have had enough of being the scapegoat when time comes.

And somewhere, in the distance, someone sees an old man that seems to be controlled like a ventriloquist dummy

1 hour ago, Stature said:

And somewhere, in the distance, someone sees an old man that seems to be controlled like a ventriloquist dummy

somewhere in the sands of the desert a shape with lion body and the head of a man, a gaze blank and pitiless as the sun

is moving its slow thighs, while all about it reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again, but now I know that twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle.

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, is slouching towards Moperville to be born?

Magus.  An ordinary magic using person from another dimension dependent upon, and compelled to do the bidding of, people who are amoral, insane, or actively evil.

I suspect that Pandora could pull Magus out of Limbo without the multilayered plan involving Ellen, Elliot, and the Dewitchery Diamond.  I further suspect that Pandora will do that in the not too distant future.  What will Magus do when he finds himself in a reality.

And Hack, could you speak up a little?  My falcon doesn't hear italics very well.

This is one of those weird instances where looking at today's comic, then going back 7 years to the last time we saw Magus and Sirleck together, and it's really hard to tell that Dan's art style has changed a lot in those 7 years. I'm not sure if it's because drawing Magus is that easy or if Dan just nailed Sirleck's design the first time and hasn't felt the need to change it, it just seems like the style fits, both now and back then and can be interchangeable without being jarring to look at.

Also I wonder if Sirleck's comment in the last panel is an indicator that he doesn't intend on taking possession of Magus after Magus gets his body back, or if he's just saying that while thinking "you won't really have a choice in the matter once I get a hold of you."

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And Hack, could you speak up a little?  My falcon doesn't hear italics very well.

That's because it is getting dizzy from all the turns you are putting it through. They would make Horus turn in his grave if he were dead.

4 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Considering that Magus isn't letting the aberrations run wild... he has my sympathy for this plan and the anguish he's inflicting on himself. At least some of my sympathy, anyway.

This certainly does reinforce the idea that Magus isn't a bad guy, he's just in a situation that is forcing him to do things he wouldn't do.

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's also been a while since we have seen The Dan just do a flat out infodump.  Normally Edward or Grace does it in universe.

That wasn't infodump. That was summary. I mean, there were no new informations there. (Still useful ... Dan mentioned the kind of readers who for some incomprehensible reason don't read commentaries ... those of us who do obviously get better summary in the links on start of commentary.)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Considering that Magus isn't letting the aberrations run wild... he has my sympathy for this plan and the anguish he's inflicting on himself. At least some of my sympathy, anyway.

This certainly does reinforce the idea that Magus isn't a bad guy, he's just in a situation that is forcing him to do things he wouldn't do.

Whole EGS is noticeably short on bad guys ... (meanwhile, Drowtales is noticeable short on good guys. Or gals.).

Magus makes an interesting point, that by bringing the Aberrations to Moperville, he's making it likely that they will be killed/stopped sooner than if they didn't come.  Overall, lives will be saved by his plan.  Seems like a good rationalization, yet he still takes on the responsibility for harm they do while in Moperville.  Yup, he's a Good Guy[TM].

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Whole EGS is noticeably short on bad guys ...

Well, we had Damien, we have Sirleck, and Voltaire is really giving off bad guy vibes. Lord Tedd originally came off as a bad guy but last we saw of him put that in doubt with General Shade Tail seeming to be the actual bad guy. Mostly though the gang has been dealing with High School drama with the likes of Tony and Bad Tom.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Magus makes an interesting point, that by bringing the Aberrations to Moperville, he's making it likely that they will be killed/stopped sooner than if they didn't come.  Overall, lives will be saved by his plan.  Seems like a good rationalization, yet he still takes on the responsibility for harm they do while in Moperville.  Yup, he's a Good Guy[TM].

Magus seems to be relying on the ability of Helena and Demetrius to get people capable of dealing with the vampires before they hurt anyone, he was probably relieved for a time when Andrea was on her vampire killing streak, but now worried that they might not find someone else in time.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Magus makes an interesting point, that by bringing the Aberrations to Moperville, he's making it likely that they will be killed/stopped sooner than if they didn't come.  Overall, lives will be saved by his plan.  Seems like a good rationalization, yet he still takes on the responsibility for harm they do while in Moperville.

Yes ... they would hurt same or bigger number of people elsewhere, but it would be different people ...

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yup, he's a Good Guy[TM].

He probably is, but generally, there are villains convinced they are doing Good. In fact, anyone who is SURE to be doing Good is almost surely BAD guy, so Magus having doubts is helping convincing me he's good guy.

Meanwhile, Sirleck doesn't care about others, people or aberrations.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Well, we had Damien

Damien blown himself because he wasn't sure he's good anymore.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

we have Sirleck, and Voltaire is really giving off bad guy vibes.

And aberrations may not really count as "guys". Voltaire does seem like bad guy, yes.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

with General Shade Tail seeming to be the actual bad guy.

Why? I mean, what makes you think General Shade Tail is bad guy?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Mostly though the gang has been dealing with High School drama

... yeah ... typical high school drama ... one of your classmate grows a boar and stuff like that ... :)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Magus seems to be relying on the ability of Helena and Demetrius to get people capable of dealing with the vampires before they hurt anyone, he was probably relieved for a time when Andrea was on her vampire killing streak, but now worried that they might not find someone else in time.

Does he? With Helena and Demetrius around, he may prefer to not actually observe Andrea. His knowledge about situation might be limited.

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He wasn't sure he was God anymore. ;)

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Because Nioi said he was corrupting Lord Tedd.

41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... yeah ... typical high school drama ... one of your classmate grows a boar and stuff like that ... :)

I didn't call it typical, I just said High School Drama. ;)

41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Does he? With Helena and Demetrius around, he may prefer to not actually observe Andrea. His knowledge about situation might be limited.

He knows that the vampires were lured to Moperville to distract Helena and Demetrius because he hoped they would make dealing with any vampires a priority and leave Elliot alone, from his comment "we've already sent so many..." suggests that he knows what happened to them and also suggests that the next round would include even more vampires and is supported by Sirleck's claim that "hell will rain down on Moperville". Whether he observed it himself or heard about it from Sirleck prior to this meeting, the effect is the same.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

He wasn't sure he was God anymore. ;)

That too.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Because Nioi said he was corrupting Lord Tedd.

Doesn't automatically make him bad guy. (Also, while General Shade Tail is prime suspect, she might've mean someone else.)

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

He knows that the vampires were lured to Moperville to distract Helena and Demetrius because he hoped they would make dealing with any vampires a priority and leave Elliot alone,

Yes ...

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

from his comment "we've already sent so many..." suggests that he knows what happened to them

... no.

While having some feedback would definitely be useful, they may still proceed with the plan based just on estimates and/or "negative" feedback, that is estimate how many aberrations were lost based on how many of them failed to report.

In fact, it seems quite likely their only feedback was Voltaire's ... I mean Abner's report and news about the mall.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

and also suggests that the next round would include even more vampires and is supported by Sirleck's claim that "hell will rain down on Moperville".

Of course that's the plan.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Doesn't automatically make him bad guy. (Also, while General Shade Tail is prime suspect, she might've mean someone else.)

It's hard to assume she's talking about someone else when she's specifically looking for Dr Sciuridae, and the previous page doesn't show General Shade Tail as being someone nice.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... no.

While having some feedback would definitely be useful, they may still proceed with the plan based just on estimates and/or "negative" feedback, that is estimate how many aberrations were lost based on how many of them failed to report.

In fact, it seems quite likely their only feedback was Voltaire's ... I mean Abner's report and news about the mall.

Sirleck probably doesn't care about what happened to them as it means he doesn't have to pay them, the bunch that were sent out first were likely to test the waters, see if they would get Helena and Demetrius' attention, the "report" was essentially confirmation that the plan was feasible and now Sirleck's going to ramp it up. The only negative feedback would be if the first wave of vampires didn't succeed in pulling Helena and Demetrius away from Elliot (as in others might have taken notice and dealt with them instead).

On 1/11/2017 at 0:48 AM, Stature said:

Sirleck is getting more amoral by the minute. Soon enough, Magus will have had enough of being the scapegoat when time comes.

Well, it has been said that Aberrations generally have no empathy, especially toward anybody who would not otherwise be a friend/associate. I don't think that becoming an Aberration causes a loss of empathy so much as one has to be nearly devoid of empathy in the first place to choose to become something that must kill people for sustenance.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's hard to assume she's talking about someone else when she's specifically looking for Dr Sciuridae,

And she seems very interested in Grace's history. Therefore, prime suspect. But not sure.

the previous page doesn't show General Shade Tail as being someone nice.

Not nice doesn't mean bad guy. Also corrupting doesn't necessary mean bad guy. He may just be too direct or something. He's certainly not classical hero, but may still be antihero. We simply don't know enough about Lord Tedd to be sure about anything.

Sirleck probably doesn't care about what happened to them as it means he doesn't have to pay them

If he wouldn't have to pay them, it would be positive. If he doesn't care it means he must've paid them in advance.

The only negative feedback would be

You're right it wasn't clear. Negative feedback might mean feedback with negative content. It may also mean feedback which reduces fluctuations in the output. But I meant negative feedback in the sense "not getting any message is also form of message".

14 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 01/11/2017 at 9:48 AM, Stature said:

Well, it has been said that Aberrations generally have no empathy, especially toward anybody who would not otherwise be a friend/associate. I don't think that becoming an Aberration causes a loss of empathy so much as one has to be nearly devoid of empathy in the first place to choose to become something that must kill people for sustenance.

Sirleck seem to suggest that becoming aberrations WILL cause loss of empathy ... but I agree that anyone becoming aberration didn't had much of it from start.