• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

EGS TvTropes pages

6 minutes ago, ijuin said:

On the flip side, having soldiers who retain the "shoot without thinking" reaction after being discharged from military service is very bad news, since they could end up killing their own country's civilians, which would then lead to public backlash against the entire "train them to shoot without thinking" method . . .

There's an easy solution to that. Make sure they have no medical insurance. That way they get to be homeless and traumatised so they will die fast without causing further trouble. A tried and true method used by governments through the ages. *sigh*

As opposed to police training courses, where trainees learn to take a good look at the figure that just popped up, and make sure it's a bad guy and not a child or a granny with a walker or somesuch.  There are still incidents and civilians still get shot, but I suspect that has more to do with the types of figures they use on those courses -- do the targets they have to identify as civillians and not shoot in order to pass include, say, a young black man in a hoodie holding a cell phone?  Or is a figure like that always holding a gun and trained to be seen as a threat?

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
9 hours ago, ijuin said:

On the flip side, having soldiers who retain the "shoot without thinking" reaction after being discharged from military service is very bad news, since they could end up killing their own country's civilians, which would then lead to public backlash against the entire "train them to shoot without thinking" method . . .

There's an easy solution to that. Make sure they have no medical insurance. That way they get to be homeless and traumatised so they will die fast without causing further trouble. A tried and true method used by governments through the ages. *sigh*

That's more of a situation where a government is willing to spend the money to train soldiers into efficient killing machines, but not willing to spend the money to undo that programing.

And yes, the unwillingness to do so would be because it would take much, much more time and money to undo the training and it's not guaranteed to work either.