• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday January 13, 2017

Thus begins Sarah's descent into simulation addiction.

She will neglect school, work, friends, family, food, sleep, and hi gene to live in a reality of her own creation.

As for the Part Eight title, does this mean the story is set in a leap year?

4 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

She will neglect school, work, friends, family, food, sleep, and hi gene to live in a reality of her own creation.

I predict that Susan will compare Sarah to Reginald Barclay.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

There isn't a whole lot of room for that, M.

Right now it's a tossup between EGS, EGS:NP, The Whiteboard and Grrl Power as to which one is weirdest at this exact time.  It's a great time for people who live weird.

Just now, partner555 said:

How much does Sarah have to do again?

2-3 times an hour which would be every 20-30 minutes, she doesn't have to actually spend any time in the simulations, but it's pretty much guaranteed she will.

This one is gonna hurt a bit.

Switching to "time-freeze mode" mid-jump seems like a bad idea since, as Sarah said, time isn't really frozen after all. So unless she keeps this spell really short, she's probably going to land while being essentially unconscious. Even if she stays in the simulation for less than a fraction of a second and manages end it while still being midair,  her reaction time is going to be messed-up.

28 minutes ago, detrius said:

This one is gonna hurt a bit.

Switching to "time-freeze mode" mid-jump seems like a bad idea since, as Sarah said, time isn't really frozen after all. So unless she keeps this spell really short, she's probably going to land while being essentially unconscious. Even if she stays in the simulation for less than a fraction of a second and manages end it while still being midair,  her reaction time is going to be messed-up.

Panel 1 also has rounded corners, and the "remember, simulated time stop" comment means she's started the simulation before jumping. Whether she got up on her bed before or after entering the simulation is the unknown here.

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Panel 1 also has rounded corners, and the "remember, simulated time stop" comment means she's started the simulation before jumping.

No, it doesn't - she could also say this to herself as a reminder before starting the simulation. I'll accept the rounded corners as a good indicator for her already being in the simulation, though.

Sarah: See, Neo? On first try!

Neo: MY jump was between BUILDINGS.

18 hours ago, Stature said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2299

I dunno, ask Nanase, or Elliot.

I don't think Elliot ever tried to fly in cafeteria. Nanase on the other hand ...

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

She don't have enough magic to neglect food. The other stuff MIGHT suffer, yes ...

WAIT. Her work is at Tedd's lab. It will take some time before she do all stuff Tedd would want to test with this spell ...

56 minutes ago, Drachefly said:

… rounded corners? Oh PHEW, thanks for pointing that out. I was in the 'gonna hurt' club. More like 'there are better ways to check the time ratio, Sarah'

Hurting oneself by jumping from bed needs lot of effort ... or bad luck, of course.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hurting oneself by jumping from bed needs lot of effort ... or bad luck, of course.

Jumping from a bed and falling limp while you land doesn't seem like a vaguely reliable way of avoiding serious injury.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Elliot ever tried to fly in cafeteria. Nanase on the other hand ...

Should not, could not, would not. But he sure does fly when he is a supergal and outside.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sarah: See, Neo? On first try!

Neo: MY jump was between BUILDINGS.

Like any other stuntman would do.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not particularly--merely tripping and falling onto one's face (or even hands-and-knees) onto pavement is enough to cause some major scraped skin--I still have a blotchy red scar from a scraped knee that happened last May where I tripped over a curb.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There is a reason why my current bed is just a mattress on the floor.  I really don't want to go the the ER, again, to deal with the after effects of falling off the bed.  Adding jumping, i.e. more height, would, most likely, just add to the issue in a bad sort of way.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Not particularly--merely tripping and falling onto one's face (or even hands-and-knees) onto pavement is enough to cause some major scraped skin--I still have a blotchy red scar from a scraped knee that happened last May where I tripped over a curb.

It depends on the surfaces around. Any hard furniture with sharp edges will make a fall potentially much more dangerous. A wooden floor is less likely to cause serious injury than a stone floor; it has more give in it. A soft carpet can do wonders for dissipation of the involved kinetic energy. If you have a floor covered with tatami mats, you are almost sleeping in a dojo. You can still get hurt falling on it but you REALLY need to work at it.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

Amen to that. A few years ago at a market I got my feet tangled up in some straps that had been left behind as they closed up. These straps are stiff enough that if you step on it it will stand up. So the next step you thread your foot through it and if the strap is short enough you can only take half a step, lose your balance and try to take a long step to compensate. But as you now has the strap looped around both feet this long step turns into another short half step and you are now falling without any control.

This happened in December, a few days before christmas. The market square is lined with cobblestone and I managed to get my hands in front of me, trying to break the fall. The next thing I know I was face down on the ground with the tip of my nose touching the stone. This felt strange as I knew I had got my hands in front of me. Turns out my right hand landed on a small patch of ice and slipped forward. This caused me to land on my elbow, which didn't slip as it got caught between some of the cobblestones. So it turns out that arresting a fall with your elbow planted on stone is a good way to crush your elbow.

As posted above, how you land is often more important than how high the fall is.

16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
18 hours ago, ijuin said:

It depends on the surfaces around. Any hard furniture with sharp edges will make a fall potentially much more dangerous. A wooden floor is less likely to cause serious injury than a stone floor; it has more give in it. A soft carpet can do wonders for dissipation of the involved kinetic energy. If you have a floor covered with tatami mats, you are almost sleeping in a dojo. You can still get hurt falling on it but you REALLY need to work at it.

Yes ; I did assumed carpet (and definitely not pavement, ijuin, you should do something with your bedroom), no other furniture dangerously close and no sharp toys on floor.

(You shouldn't be falling hands-and-knees, really. Try forearms instead. Like this. Or roll.)

40 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes ; I did assumed carpet (and definitely not pavement, ijuin, you should do something with your bedroom), no other furniture dangerously close and no sharp toys on floor.

(You shouldn't be falling hands-and-knees, really. Try forearms instead. Like this. Or roll.)

Best method is still what Sarah just did: aim for the ground -- and miss.

Rest in peace, Douglas Adams.