• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
partner555

NP Monday Jan 16, 2017.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The same reason parents usually name kids: it was her mother, grandmother or other female relative name.

It actually make sense that in family with hereditary cat affinity sooner or later emerges a line of females with cat-like name. Less likely for men, but it can "skip generations" over men easily.

Possible, like the Bobcat name could have originated with the family at some point in their history learning about their ability to use cat forms, maybe they were from a druidic order or something. Kitty's family might also have a similar history.

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

IMHO she means there are usually other reasons beside the name.

Gonna have to disagree, saying something won't usually do something doesn't mean that it absolutely won't. It leaves it open to being possible, just at a low chance.

It's also possible that if Kitty's last name wasn't cat themed, that doesn't necessarily mean her mother's maiden name isn't cat themed.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The same reason parents usually name kids: it was her mother, grandmother or other female relative name.

It actually make sense that in family with hereditary cat affinity sooner or later emerges a line of females with cat-like name. Less likely for men, but it can "skip generations" over men easily.

Possible, like the Bobcat name could have originated with the family at some point in their history learning about their ability to use cat forms, maybe they were from a druidic order or something. Kitty's family might also have a similar history.

Only if they actually have hereditary cat affinity, which Pandora seems to not notice.

... unless there really was someone with hereditary cat affinity in past but the genes got diluted over time so Catalina doesn't have that affinity but still have the name ...

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:
27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

IMHO she means there are usually other reasons beside the name.

Gonna have to disagree, saying something won't usually do something doesn't mean that it absolutely won't. It leaves it open to being possible, just at a low chance.

I'm not sure what you disagree with. I said that "just a first or last name usually won't" might mean that if there are other reasons besides the name for the same affinity it can result in affinity.

Anyway, yes, I agree with "usually won't means sometimes will". I just think that Kitty doesn't need any other name to get cat spells, her yearning for them combined with the one name she has is enough.

... actually, she may be bad example because her yearning looks like being enough even if she would be named Jane Smith.

16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... actually, she may be bad example because her yearning looks like being enough even if she would be named Jane Smith.

The third panel with Pandora saying "Waaait, this affinity isn't-" seems to suggest that she took a closer look at the affinity and what she thought might have been a very strong yearning ended up not being the case.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The third panel with Pandora saying "Waaait, this affinity isn't-" seems to suggest that she took a closer look at the affinity and what she thought might have been a very strong yearning ended up not being the case.

First, I though that yearning is not affinity, but maybe I'm mistaken. Not sure if Pandora assuming hereditary talent would make sense or what else could that affinity not be.

I agree that Pandora took a closer look and noticed it's name-based affinity, but I don't think it means the yearning wouldn't be enough.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

First, I though that yearning is not affinity, but maybe I'm mistaken. Not sure if Pandora assuming hereditary talent would make sense or what else could that affinity not be.

Maybe, I dunno. Though I'm not sure that being born with an affinity means it's hereditary either, I mean yeah there's hereditary bloodlines where an affinity would pass along generations, but there might also be cases where affinities could be randomly given to someone  at conception or birth.

In the case of Name Based Affinity vs Hereditary Affinity, I think Tiffany Susan Pompoms dodged a pretty big bullet there. ;)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

In the case of Name Based Affinity vs Hereditary Affinity, I think Tiffany Susan Pompoms dodged a pretty big bullet there. ;)

... good question, can someone be marked based on name-based affinity if she hates the name? In many cases, name is only important because it represents you ... we don't have this noted in EGS yet, but it makes more sense than magic depending on legal documents. (Of course, Pandora already complains that name-based affinities doesn't make sense at all ...)

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... good question, can someone be marked based on name-based affinity if she hates the name? In many cases, name is only important because it represents you ... we don't have this noted in EGS yet, but it makes more sense than magic depending on legal documents. (Of course, Pandora already complains that name-based affinities doesn't make sense at all ...)

It's possible that heredity takes priority over name, but who knows for sure. Heck as you said, Pandora complained that it didn't make sense at the time she marked Catalina, but I'm betting she's thinking it makes some sense now that she knows about Magic having a will.

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's possible that heredity takes priority over name, but who knows for sure.

While also possible, my point was that "Tiffany" wouldn't count as Susan's name because she's not using it unless forced to.

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm betting she's thinking it makes some sense now that she knows about Magic having a will.

There is still no motivation. Sure, it's more understandable why it's happening, but it still doesn't make sense WHY is magic doing it.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

While also possible, my point was that "Tiffany" wouldn't count as Susan's name because she's not using it unless forced to.

But that would suggest that name based affinities could be nullified almost as easy a yearnings, like if Catalina for some reason decided she wanted to answer to a different name a couple years before Pandora found her would Pandora still have noticed a cat transformation affinity but not know it was named based? Or would would the "Girl Formerly Known as Catalina" have a completely different affinity that overwrote the original?

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But that would suggest that name based affinities could be nullified almost as easy a yearnings

You call that easy? Yearnings are something you stop having when you stop having them. If you decide to suddenly stop using name, it would take you some time before you stop reflectively answering to it.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:

like if Catalina for some reason decided she wanted to answer to a different name a couple years before Pandora found her would Pandora still have noticed a cat transformation affinity but not know it was named based? Or would would the "Girl Formerly Known as Catalina" have a completely different affinity that overwrote the original?

She wouldn't have that affinity.

It's hard to imagine in case of Catalina, as the name obviously matches her - and it's question if it's effect of the name-based affinity itself or if she has some cat-like qualities independently. But Susan doesn't show any signs of Tiffany. If the name had any effect on her, she fought with it and won long ago.

Note that if Catalina just changed name without the desire to stop using it, like, if she married and changed surname, it would still remain her maiden name (or, generally, former name) and would count into the name-based affinity. IMHO. In fact, this makes more sense than someone's affinity suddenly changing due to marriage because their legal name changed, doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But Susan doesn't show any signs of Tiffany.

Aside from maybe this, or this, or this (Susan's Nature side being the aspect of Tiffany).

I just think that an affinity isn't an affinity if it isn't hard coded in some way, name based affinity does seem like a grey area as it is either given at the time a name is given, or the affinity is given prior to birth and then the parents are guided into giving an appropriate name at the time of birth, like a little voice saying "Hey, Kitty would be a purrfect name."

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

Aside from maybe this, or this, or this (Susan's Nature side being the aspect of Tiffany).

Actually, yes, Susan's Nature seem to be Tiffany, but that was like only moment she surfaced ... unless SHE's the reason for Susan's long hair (I remember two comics referencing this: "you call this practical?" and "whoosh is adequately logical"). You see she didn't seriously try to resist when Nurture was dragging her away, she likely knows that it would only mean more severe beating.

I just think that an affinity isn't an affinity if it isn't hard coded in some way

SHOULD be ...

name based affinity does seem like a grey area as it is either given at the time a name is given, or the affinity is given prior to birth and then the parents are guided into giving an appropriate name at the time of birth, like a little voice saying "Hey, Kitty would be a purrfect name."

If it would be selected before birth and before the name itself, it wouldn't TRULY be name-based affinity, would it?

(Note that I postulate that you get name based affinity by accepting the name as your own, which most children do quite a few months after birth.)

On 1/18/2017 at 5:20 PM, Scotty said:

Well, yeah, Dan named her Kitty because he made her really like cat girls.

But as for her actually backstory, why would her parents have named her Kitty? Is her last name also cat themed like Catalina Bobcat's? Pandora had said that "just a first or last name usually won't" mean automatic affinity, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Who says "Kitty" is the name on her birth certificate?  Maybe her legal name is Katherine, and Kitty is just such a long-standing nickname because of her catgirl obsession, that people think of her as "Kitty" instead.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, hkmaly said:

Exactly.  Even if her name is Jane Smith, she could have been telling people, "Call me Kitty!" since she was three.  An affinity-based name, not a name-based affinity.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, yes, Susan's Nature seem to be Tiffany, but that was like only moment she surfaced ... unless SHE's the reason for Susan's long hair (I remember two comics referencing this: "you call this practical?" and "whoosh is adequately logical"). You see she didn't seriously try to resist when Nurture was dragging her away, she likely knows that it would only mean more severe beating.

What I'm saying is, the Tiffany personality is still there, Susan's just suppressed it, and on rare occasions, Tiffany manages to peak through as was the case of when Susan was admiring her hair, but then the nuture side reminded Susan what the blonde hair meant and so Tiffany got pushed back into the corner again. The sad thing is, since Grace's birthday, Susan had been making a lot of progress with opening up to people and not judging by gender and even attempting to not be afraid of physical contact that it was possible that the Tiffany personality was being allowed to come back, and then the bombshell about Diane gets dropped on her and the thought that her dad had been cheating before she was even born possibly ruined some of that progress.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Who says "Kitty" is the name on her birth certificate?  Maybe her legal name is Katherine, and Kitty is just such a long-standing nickname because of her catgirl obsession, that people think of her as "Kitty" instead.

It could be, shorten Katherine to Kat and Kitty could be derived from that which would still count towards name based affinity.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

What I'm saying is, the Tiffany personality is still there, Susan's just suppressed it, and on rare occasions, Tiffany manages to peak through as was the case of when Susan was admiring her hair, but then the nuture side reminded Susan what the blonde hair meant and so Tiffany got pushed back into the corner again. The sad thing is, since Grace's birthday, Susan had been making a lot of progress with opening up to people and not judging by gender and even attempting to not be afraid of physical contact that it was possible that the Tiffany personality was being allowed to come back, and then the bombshell about Diane gets dropped on her and the thought that her dad had been cheating before she was even born possibly ruined some of that progress.

I would say the "Tiffany" parts of Susan are still hurting and therefore very prone to being hurt more.  She/they have been taken into protective custody. 

That could also be projection on my part because that's what I did.

3 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I would say the "Tiffany" parts of Susan are still hurting and therefore very prone to being hurt more.  She/they have been taken into protective custody. 

That could also be projection on my part because that's what I did.

I'm not going to argue that there's many reasons to hide an aspect of one's self, I'm just basing it off the flashback of Susan trying to chop her hair off, and the fact that her dad was the one that chose the name Tiffany and her mom chose Susan, that Susan was trying to bury everything about her that would remind her of her dad and the woman he was having an affair with.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 01/19/2017 at 0:20 AM, Scotty said:

Well, yeah, Dan named her Kitty because he made her really like cat girls.

But as for her actually backstory, why would her parents have named her Kitty? Is her last name also cat themed like Catalina Bobcat's? Pandora had said that "just a first or last name usually won't" mean automatic affinity, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Dan? Sort of?

If Kitty is NOT her legal name, then my theory that what matters is what the person CONSIDERS her name is important is valid.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 01/19/2017 at 1:30 AM, hkmaly said:

Exactly.  Even if her name is Jane Smith, she could have been telling people, "Call me Kitty!" since she was three.  An affinity-based name, not a name-based affinity.

Positive feedback.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I would say the "Tiffany" parts of Susan are still hurting and therefore very prone to being hurt more.

Protective custody?

It's more that Susan is afraid she will be hurt THROUGH Tiffany and that's why she keeps her under lock.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

then the bombshell about Diane gets dropped on her and the thought that her dad had been cheating before she was even born possibly ruined some of that progress.

... I hope not but I'm afraid you might be right ...

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Protective custody?

It's more that Susan is afraid she will be hurt THROUGH Tiffany and that's why she keeps her under lock.

I'd agree but at the same time, it's very likely that her Tiffany side is the part that would feel the hurt too...