• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Friday January 20, 2017

4 hours ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:
5 hours ago, Scotty said:

What gets me though, is if it was a jab at Elliot's "me time" statement back in Sister II, as far as I can tell this would be the first time Ellen's teased Elliot about it in what, 10 months since the incident? It just seems strange that of all the times we've seen Ellen tease Elliot, this particular tease hadn't come up before, so it didn't seem obvious to me

I made the joke. Me. Myself. Not Dan. I do not think Dan intended to make a joke about this. We've had a slight, um, humour ... malfunction ... but we're all fine here now. we're fine. How are you?

And I though Ka-Elliot is reference to various Ka- (well ... mostly ka-girl) from Wotch ...

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

And I'm certain we haven't seen every single occasion where Ellen teased Elliot (or vice versa).

We skipped SIX MONTHS. Even if we believe nothing else happened, we certainly missed:

1) Ellen teasing Elliot lot of times

2) Ellen having lot of dates with Nanase

3) Sarah being naked lot of times in front of Tedd and Grace

4) Tedd transforming to lot of various girls

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

We skipped SIX MONTHS. Even if we believe nothing else happened, we certainly missed:

1) Ellen teasing Elliot lot of times

2) Ellen having lot of dates with Nanase

3) Sarah being naked lot of times in front of Tedd and Grace

4) Tedd transforming to lot of various girls

5) All of the size experimentation that lead to Rhoda's awakening

6) The size experimentation and cat girl hijinks Catalina and Rhoda have after their escape from the mall (and whether Kitty is involved as well)

:)

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

5) All of the size experimentation that lead to Rhoda's awakening

We DID get sort of summary in current NP ... but, yes. Also,

7) ELLIOT transforming to lot of various girls.

8) Grace training with Greg and Ellen. Come on, Greg may not be pervert, but he will certainly adapt and help with Grace's training even if it involves big breast.

9) Greg and Dex watching lot of anime. They couldn't stop just at one, right?

10) Greg's girlfriend.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

8) Grace training with Greg and Ellen. Come on, Greg may not be pervert, but he will certainly adapt and help with Grace's training even if it involves big breast.

Last we saw of that was after the timeskip and he was still uncomfortable with Grace's casual mention of breasts. MV5 also gave a glimpse of Grace making Greg uncomfortable, but yes, between New and Old Flames and End of an Era, there likely were plenty of moments like that.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They must have gone to an anime/comic convention as well right? We've seen Sarah and Susan attend one (though sadly it wasn't canon). A Greg and Dex attending a convention story would be interesting.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

10) Greg's girlfriend.

While this happened after the timeskip as well (he met her at a New Years party), Dan really needs to reveal who the lucky girl is before people get the pitchforks out. ;)

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:
29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Last we saw of that was after the timeskip and he was still uncomfortable with Grace's casual mention of breasts. MV5 also gave a glimpse of Grace making Greg uncomfortable, but yes, between New and Old Flames and End of an Era, there likely were plenty of moments like that.

Oh. My mistake (I though it was before timeskip). In that case, maybe including Ellen was relatively new idea, but we certainly skipped lot of Grace's training with Greg.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:
31 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They must have gone to an anime/comic convention as well right? We've seen Sarah and Susan attend one (though sadly it wasn't canon). A Greg and Dex attending a convention story would be interesting.

Not necessary. I imagine Dex wouldn't want to go to some big event with lot of people. He mentioned game night, though ... maybe that includes someone else than just Dex and Greg?

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:
33 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

10) Greg's girlfriend.

While this happened after the timeskip as well (he met her at a New Years party), Dan really needs to reveal who the lucky girl is before people get the pitchforks out. ;)

Right, also after timeskip (note: it might not been party, new years eve is just name of day, right?). Ok, so we can't count this as happening in timeskip, any other idea for point 10?

39 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh. My mistake (I though it was before timeskip). In that case, maybe including Ellen was relatively new idea, but we certainly skipped lot of Grace's training with Greg.

I'm pretty certain Ellen was originally always supposed to train with Grace, it was just that first time that Ellen had "sexy plans" and Elliot agreed to take her. There might have be other times that Elliot went, or maybe Ellen, Nanase and Grace went, Justin claimed to still work out too so maybe there were a couple occasions where he filled in if Elliot or Ellen and Nanase were unavailable. Though realistically, it's likely that Grace and Ellen are paying Greg for training or more likely since Greg would be just a teacher and not an owner like he was with the ASMA dojo, they would have to have proper memberships to be able to train there.

Not necessary. I imagine Dex wouldn't want to go to some big event with lot of people. He mentioned game night, though ... maybe that includes someone else than just Dex and Greg?

When Dex first entered the dojo, Greg stated that he looked familiar and asked if he'd been to any Anime conventions. Dex later confirmed this when he later asked if he had seen Greg cosplaying as Chun Li, so it would appear that they attended the same conventions before becoming friends.

There's also the flashback for when Dex found the pendant, he's wearing a "Troll 2" hat and what looks like Tom Baker's scarf, so he must have just returned from an event of some sort.

any other idea for point 10?

Stuff Noah and Melissa might have done together? Melissa knows Noah's secrets, or at least the fact that he has magic and does stuff as the Shadow Guy, there must be some other cases of him doing stuff, especially if Luke wasn't talking about the dragon fight when referring to the Shadow Guy.

Oh speaking of Luke:

11) When did Luke get marked and how did he meet the person he was talking to on the phone.

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty certain Ellen was originally always supposed to train with Grace, it was just that first time that Ellen had "sexy plans" and Elliot agreed to take her. There might have be other times that Elliot went, or maybe Ellen, Nanase and Grace went, Justin claimed to still work out too so maybe there were a couple occasions where he filled in if Elliot or Ellen and Nanase were unavailable. Though realistically, it's likely that Grace and Ellen are paying Greg for training or more likely since Greg would be just a teacher and not an owner like he was with the ASMA dojo, they would have to have proper memberships to be able to train there.

Hmmm ... I'm not sure how exactly dojos work (and it may be specific for Greg's dojo anyway). We know that he closed his dojo for new students and instead started working on other dojo, but did he sold (or rent) the old dojo building or was it his home anyway? Is this new dojo exclusive owner of some place or is it renting place somewhere, with the place being available for something else other time? Extreme case, he might actually just get students and the study program from somewhere else where they couldn't fit people into :)

When Greg was talking about his new teaching position, he mentioned that he will be giving private lessons to Grace - obviously, the training with Ellen's beams wasn't public. She is still likely paying him of course.

Ok, reformulation: including Ellen's beams was relatively new idea. They likely trained more "traditionally" first and included Grace's telekinesis later.

Note that Nanase specifically said she may not want to start over in new dojo and Elliot was also sceptical, and Justin's reason to jump at that option might've been just because he assumed they will go as well. They may train individually or have private "lessons" with Greg as well.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

When Dex first entered the dojo, Greg stated that he looked familiar and asked if he'd been to any Anime conventions. Dex later confirmed this when he later asked if he had seen Greg cosplaying as Chun Li, so it would appear that they attended the same conventions before becoming friends.

ConventioN. Dex is pretty memorable so it might've been just single event. Or, maybe he has one periodic (yearly) event he is visiting. I just don't think he would be that lonely if he would be the type to visit all conventions happening around.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:

There's also the flashback for when Dex found the pendant, he's wearing a "Troll 2" hat and what looks like Tom Baker's scarf, so he must have just returned from an event of some sort.

I wouldn't be so surprised if Dex is wearing stuff like this even normally.

50 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

any other idea for point 10?

Stuff Noah and Melissa might have done together? Melissa knows Noah's secrets, or at least the fact that he has magic and does stuff as the Shadow Guy, there must be some other cases of him doing stuff, especially if Luke wasn't talking about the dragon fight when referring to the Shadow Guy.

She likely knows because he is excusing himself from their dates, not because he would be bringing her with him. Technically, yes, obviously they would be hanging together, but it might not be important enough ... like, it's not like we are counting skipping Adrian Raven's history classes, or any other classes. Sure it's also happening, but it's something we regularly skip even outside timeskip when it involves characters who had focus minute of comic time ago.

(Although, yes, the criteria of getting something on the list would be hard to specify exactly ... but even if Noah is regularly fighting aberrations, he isn't point of view character often enough to say we are missing it. We didn't saw Andrea fighting those other vampires either ...)

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Oh speaking of Luke:

When did Luke get marked and how did he meet the person he was talking to on the phone.

That is one-time event, not something we missed happening multiple times. And it may later appear as flashback and/or NP story.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I'm not sure how exactly dojos work (and it may be specific for Greg's dojo anyway). We know that he closed his dojo for new students and instead started working on other dojo, but did he sold (or rent) the old dojo building or was it his home anyway? Is this new dojo exclusive owner of some place or is it renting place somewhere, with the place being available for something else other time? Extreme case, he might actually just get students and the study program from somewhere else where they couldn't fit people into

I meant Greg owning the ASMA dojo as in the business mainly, it's probably more likely that he was leasing the building. The point was that with the ASMA dojo, all memberships would have been through him, whereas at the new place he's working at, memberships would likely be through either the owner, or whoever the owner appointed to handle book keeping. Considering Grace and Ellen are able to train their abilities, it's possible the dojo allows for private training outside of normal business hours, but it may still be exclusive to members only, so if Nanase, Elliot and Justin were to want to help Grace with her training, they might need to get memberships as well so that Greg wouldn't get in trouble for using the facilities to give free lessons.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

ConventioN. Dex is pretty memorable so it might've been just single event. Or, maybe he has one periodic (yearly) event he is visiting. I just don't think he would be that lonely if he would be the type to visit all conventions happening around.

Dex can still go to events, but if he's too shy to approach people, he may just end up wandering the conventions and not really interacting with people, or maybe he does try but it doesn't work out too well, but he keeps going because he enjoys the events in his own way.

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:
46 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I'm not sure how exactly dojos work (and it may be specific for Greg's dojo anyway). We know that he closed his dojo for new students and instead started working on other dojo, but did he sold (or rent) the old dojo building or was it his home anyway? Is this new dojo exclusive owner of some place or is it renting place somewhere, with the place being available for something else other time? Extreme case, he might actually just get students and the study program from somewhere else where they couldn't fit people into

I meant Greg owning the ASMA dojo as in the business mainly, it's probably more likely that he was leasing the building. The point was that with the ASMA dojo, all memberships would have been through him, whereas at the new place he's working at, memberships would likely be through either the owner, or whoever the owner appointed to handle book keeping. Considering Grace and Ellen are able to train their abilities, it's possible the dojo allows for private training outside of normal business hours, but it may still be exclusive to members only, so if Nanase, Elliot and Justin were to want to help Grace with her training, they might need to get memberships as well so that Greg wouldn't get in trouble for using the facilities to give free lessons.

First, I have no idea if him leasing or owing the building (might not even be whole building) is more likely. I repeat, it might even been his home.

Wait: Just noticed that he mentioned he's going to miss this place. Also, considering the big hole in ceiling, it might need reconstruction anyway. (Also, the hole is directly into dojo, so it's probably not that tall building.)

Second, assuming they are using facilities of new dojo, it certainly isn't for free ; it can either be for members, or it may be "if it's paid, we don't care who's there". Again, no idea what's more likely.

The way he was talking about it (private lessons first, teaching position second) implies that the private lessons are not related to his teaching position ; that may be either because they are NOT using facilities of new dojo, or they technically do but the dojo (business) doesn't own the dojo (facilities) and only leases them for specific hours, and he can lease them at other hours.

(As an example, the facilities may be owned by school and used for school before and around noon, and available to business in afternoon.)

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The way he was talking about it (private lessons first, teaching position second) implies that the private lessons are not related to his teaching position ; that may be either because they are NOT using facilities of new dojo, or they technically do but the dojo (business) doesn't own the dojo (facilities) and only leases them for specific hours, and he can lease them at other hours.

There are Gyms that have fitness classes and personal trainers, the classes would of course be on a set schedule, but personal trainers can have more flexible schedules. Greg's position at the new dojo could include both, doing one or two classes a day with groups of students and a couple private sessions with one or two students each.

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:
29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There are Gyms that have fitness classes and personal trainers, the classes would of course be on a set schedule, but personal trainers can have more flexible schedules. Greg's position at the new dojo could include both, doing one or two classes a day with groups of students and a couple private sessions with one or two students each.

I wouldn't call training in dojo fitness class, but yes, it can be gym which has "normal" fitness classes as well as martial art training classes.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Dex can still go to events, but if he's too shy to approach people, he may just end up wandering the conventions and not really interacting with people, or maybe he does try but it doesn't work out too well, but he keeps going because he enjoys the events in his own way.

(Forgot to comment this before)

Unless Greg USUALLY cosplays as Chun Li, it doesn't seem they met multiple times. That obviously doesn't mean they only were on single event together - they could miss each other in the other cases. Also, it's possible that Dex visits multiple events but it's Greg who attends sparsely. But I still consider more likely that Dex isn't visiting so many events.

It's also possible he stopped visiting events or lowered the frequency after they cancelled the Lucky bunny bounty show ... if he's visiting events based on program instead of people, he could only go on events with program he's interested in.

(Is "program" the correct word? Or "schedule"?)

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

I know a fair number of people who I usually only see at cons, and when I do come across one of them in the mundane world, they may be a totally different personality.  The filker who sings loud and strong may be shy and retiring, the guy who plays a loud dumb-muscle warrior may be a very buttoned-up professional.  I could definitely see Dex being one of the fen who are only "at home" at a con.  For some people like that, a comic shop or gaming club is also "among their tribe" but Dex seems to be soft-spoken whatever the situation, even when he opens up.

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Unless Greg USUALLY cosplays as Chun Li, it doesn't seem they met multiple times. That obviously doesn't mean they only were on single event together - they could miss each other in the other cases. Also, it's possible that Dex visits multiple events but it's Greg who attends sparsely. But I still consider more likely that Dex isn't visiting so many events.

A full cosplay costume, especially one in Greg's size, is a hefty investment, usually of time and money both.  It's not usually something you create and then only wear once.

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's also possible he stopped visiting events or lowered the frequency after they cancelled the Lucky bunny bounty show ... if he's visiting events based on program instead of people, he could only go on events with program he's interested in.

If anything, I usually see the opposite -- if your favorite show is cancelled, then cons become the only place you're likely to find other fans of it.  Whether the con's programming includes any panels for the show, or shows episodes in the anime or video room, or whether you just wear an iconic item (like Tom Baker's scarf or a Star Trek uniform, or a T-shirt with a classic line from the show) and wait for people to recognize it, there are ways for fellow fans to find each other.  And when you do, there's an instant bond, just like we saw with Greg and Dex.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

A full cosplay costume, especially one in Greg's size, is a hefty investment, usually of time and money both.  It's not usually something you create and then only wear once.

Hmmm ... ok, didn't took this into account. That makes even more weird (or maybe uncommon would be better term) Greg cosplays as Chun Li.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

If anything, I usually see the opposite -- if your favorite show is cancelled, then cons become the only place you're likely to find other fans of it.  Whether the con's programming includes any panels for the show, or shows episodes in the anime or video room, or whether you just wear an iconic item (like Tom Baker's scarf or a Star Trek uniform, or a T-shirt with a classic line from the show) and wait for people to recognize it, there are ways for fellow fans to find each other.  And when you do, there's an instant bond, just like we saw with Greg and Dex.

That makes perfect sense EXCEPT it obviously didn't worked in Dex's case. Either he failed in that iconic item choice, or he didn't find any fans. Based on it being cancelled after 22 episodes, maybe it doesn't have that many fans ... and even Greg, who is big fan, cosplays as Chun Li instead of character from Lucky Bunny Bounty Show.

(On the other hand, Tedd has it and Ellen liked it ... can't be that bad ... wait. It's likely both liked it due to fanservice. Might not be good base for bond. Alternatively, maybe fans usually deny they like it in public BECAUSE the level of fanservice and fear they will be labelled perverts.)

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That makes perfect sense EXCEPT it obviously didn't worked in Dex's case. Either he failed in that iconic item choice, or he didn't find any fans. Based on it being cancelled after 22 episodes, maybe it doesn't have that many fans ... and even Greg, who is big fan, cosplays as Chun Li instead of character from Lucky Bunny Bounty Show.

I'm pretty certain that Firefly still has a pretty strong fanbase despite it only lasting 14 episodes.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:
25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty certain that Firefly still has a pretty strong fanbase despite it only lasting 14 episodes.

That's why I said "maybe".

(Note that Firefly having any fans is almost miracle, considering what Fox did to it ; also note that I like River Tam, but I'm not sure if I would still like her if it was longer or if she would move in different direction that I would like ...)

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... ok, didn't t[ake] this into account. That makes [it] even more weird (or maybe uncommon would be better term) Greg cosplays as Chun Li.

There are a few guys out there who do female characters really well.  Either they're androgynous enough (or good enough with make-up and padding and such) to be able to look just like the character, or they do a male version of the character while keeping the essence that makes it that character.  (Likewise there are female versions of male characters.)  There are also some guys who do female character even though they don't/can't look female doing it, but they have so much *fun* with it that you just don't mind a bit.  Even the actress who played the role, or the artist who draws the character, will break out in a grin when they see him.  The classic image is Sailor Moon with the traditional short-skirted outfit but with a full beard, too.  It's a joke and most people get the joke just fine.

There could be a lot of reasons for Greg's choice of costume.  Maybe he was a fan of Chun Li first, or maybe he could picture himself in the role better than he could LBBS.  Maybe he hasn't finished his Lucky Bunny costume yet.  Maybe he and Dex are working on matched LBBS costumes, although I'm not sure who'd be the bunny and who'd be the bounty hunter.  ;-)

On the other hand, Tedd has it and Ellen liked it ... 

At least one of Nanase and Ellen's dates was cuddling up together watching the videos.  I don't remember Tedd having it, too -- not doubting you, I just don't recall it, so can't comment.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

On the other hand, Tedd has it and Ellen liked it ... 

At least one of Nanase and Ellen's dates was cuddling up together watching the videos.  I don't remember Tedd having it, too -- not doubting you, I just don't recall it, so can't comment.

Actually, Ellen bought the DVD. And apparently neither her nor Elliot had seen it before. I don't recall Tedd owning a copy.