• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP: Friday January 20, 2017

52 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She wasn't near Rhoda on the HA HA HA HA ...

She was maybe 10 feet away from Rhoda, I call that near enough for Pandora to have had plenty of opportunity to mark her. ;)

But yeah I said "prior to her appearance" which would have meant it'd have been off panel, or maybe it happened in panel 2 but we just don't see it. Pandora marks Rhoda, then moves into position to make her appearance. I'm not saying that's how it happened, just that it's a plausible scenario for the fact that we have Rhoda and Pandora in the same room.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm not saying that's how it happened, just that it's a plausible scenario for the fact that we have Rhoda and Pandora in the same room.

... room? They are outside. I'm pretty sure there is grass visible on second panel.

And you didn't address the argument of low chance that Rhoda wouldn't use her spell earlier if she would be marked that long.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... room? They are outside. I'm pretty sure there is grass visible on second panel.

My mistake.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And you didn't address the argument of low chance that Rhoda wouldn't use her spell earlier if she would be marked that long.

Well it would have been exactly 2 months from the time Pandora appeared on TV (March 12) to Rhoda using the spell (May 12th). The only explanation I can think of is that considering Pandora's comments about Rhoda in the current NP, if Rhoda was the first to be marked, Pandora could have got bored waiting for her to do something with her spell and so went and marked Dex and Justin.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well it would have been exactly 2 months from the time Pandora appeared on TV (March 12) to Rhoda using the spell (May 12th). The only explanation I can think of is that considering Pandora's comments about Rhoda in the current NP, if Rhoda was the first to be marked, Pandora could have got bored waiting for her to do something with her spell and so went and marked Dex and Justin.

Her estimate for Sarah, actual D-rank talent with S-rank spell, and one which is pretty hard to activate, was several days. Sarah did it first day. Catalina casted her spell in something like half hour. Rhoda, a S-rank talent, lasting two months without casting her spell seems extremely unlikely. Also, Pandora PLANED from start to mark multiple people (I'm still not sure why she didn't marked more ... wait, maybe she did and we just didn't saw them yet) so I don't think she spend so much time watching them ... in fact, if she DID marked Dex and if she WOULD observe him for some time she would notice Voltaire.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Her estimate for Sarah, actual D-rank talent with S-rank spell, and one which is pretty hard to activate, was several days. Sarah did it first day. Catalina casted her spell in something like half hour. Rhoda, a S-rank talent, lasting two months without casting her spell seems extremely unlikely.

The key aspect here would be personality, also in Sarah's case Pandora would have likely known that Sarah was checking for marks for some time, probably ever since she learned about marks from Susan. So Pandora's estimate that it would take a few days for her to figure out how to cast the spell would have been base on Sarah's eagerness to use magic. Catalina is a wild girl and so it makes sense that the time it took her to accidentally use her spell would be pretty much immediate, however, Rhoda had for some time, been pretty quiet, shy, and while she did hang out with Diane, she didn't like to have too much attention on her, which was pretty evident when we saw her with Justin. The conditions for her to accidentally use her spell might not have been there until the boar.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(I'm still not sure why she didn't marked more ... wait, maybe she did and we just didn't saw them yet)

She might have, but we do have canon in the "Marker" NP that Pandora is picky about who she marks based on the type of affinity or yearning. She wants to mark people with specific personalities and yearnings that would be fun to watch cast spells as well as the spells being noticeable by the general public.

That kinda raises the question of if she really did mark Dex or not, the fairy summon doesn't strike me as one that would cause a scene in public, Voltaire however, made sure that it was used in that manner so the likelyhood of him being the one that marked Dex is probably 50-50 at this point. Justin had to have been marked by Pandora or else she would have commented about someone else marking people when she awakened him.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

The key aspect here would be personality, also in Sarah's case Pandora would have likely known that Sarah was checking for marks for some time, probably ever since she learned about marks from Susan. So Pandora's estimate that it would take a few days for her to figure out how to cast the spell would have been base on Sarah's eagerness to use magic. Catalina is a wild girl and so it makes sense that the time it took her to accidentally use her spell would be pretty much immediate, however, Rhoda had for some time, been pretty quiet, shy, and while she did hang out with Diane, she didn't like to have too much attention on her, which was pretty evident when we saw her with Justin. The conditions for her to accidentally use her spell might not have been there until the boar.

I find this plausible.  High power does not necessarily mean hair-trigger; in fact, if Sarah is any example, stronger natural talent might mean better control, while Sarah's D-rank talent leaves the body-swapping on that hair-trigger she keeps complaining about.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

That kinda raises the question of if she really did mark Dex or not, the fairy summon doesn't strike me as one that would cause a scene in public, 

Perhaps, although fairies flying around places other than near bars would attract attention.  But Pandora would know that a summoning talent would be able to progress to much more noticable summonses (?), so it's more of a long-term investment on her part.  Which, come to think of it, would explain why she wasn't watching Dex very often, and thus missed what Voltaire was up to.  She didn't expect Dex to be entertaining until his talent had time to develop further.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Perhaps, although fairies flying around places other than near bars would attract attention.  But Pandora would know that a summoning talent would be able to progress to much more noticable summonses (?), so it's more of a long-term investment on her part.  Which, come to think of it, would explain why she wasn't watching Dex very often, and thus missed what Voltaire was up to.  She didn't expect Dex to be entertaining until his talent had time to develop further.

I'll rephrase, Dex doesn't seem the type that would summon fairies in public, not without an Immortal manipulating him.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Her estimate for Sarah, actual D-rank talent with S-rank spell, and one which is pretty hard to activate, was several days. Sarah did it first day. Catalina casted her spell in something like half hour. Rhoda, a S-rank talent, lasting two months without casting her spell seems extremely unlikely.

Except not wanting attention is something which could plausibly make her shrinking.

I find this plausible.  High power does not necessarily mean hair-trigger; in fact, if Sarah is any example, stronger natural talent might mean better control, while Sarah's D-rank talent leaves the body-swapping on that hair-trigger she keeps complaining about.

It may not be her D-rank talent which makes it hair-trigger ... but, yes, this may be possible explanation.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(I'm still not sure why she didn't marked more ... wait, maybe she did and we just didn't saw them yet)

She might have, but we do have canon in the "Marker" NP that Pandora is picky about who she marks based on the type of affinity or yearning. She wants to mark people with specific personalities and yearnings that would be fun to watch cast spells as well as the spells being noticeable by the general public.

But she still had MONTHS and I'm sure she realizes quantity is also important.

On the other hand, she mentioned that she was looking for people to mark around Halloween because there is higher chance for yearnings which would be useful for her plan. It's possible that even before Halloween, she already marked almost everyone with any talent (well, not "any", it must've been more obvious talent than Sarah's one) and it's just the search for people with useful yearnings which is slow.

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'll rephrase, Dex doesn't seem the type that would summon fairies in public, not without an Immortal manipulating him.

Fairies flying around near bars in morning would attract attention too, it's just close to closing hour when it's unlikely to be noticed.

I would say it differently: Dex MIGHT be the type that would summon fairy in public ... IF he get somewhere which can be considered public. It's the "being in public" part which is so hard to happen to him. It's possible that before meeting Greg, he only visited the COMIC SHOP once per month and without hanging around ...

Also, even if in public with fairy, she would likely keep hiding, unless he would get comfortable  ...

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Or fire elementals, for that matter. :/

Bases on his "awesome", I wouldn't be that sure.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:17 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Akiko.

Akiko saw Rhoda transform.  She will make an appearance and divert Lee Meriwether away from Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt.

So you remember that all three of these actresses played Catwoman in the 1960s Batman TV series? Doesn't this call for a cameo by Adam West?

14 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
On 1/21/2017 at 0:17 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Akiko.

Akiko saw Rhoda transform.  She will make an appearance and divert Lee Meriwether away from Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt.

So you remember that all three of these actresses played Catwoman in the 1960s Batman TV series? Doesn't this call for a cameo by Adam West?

I think this is very appropriate.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He only started to say it was awesome, he corrected himself pretty quickly based on what the fire guys did.  I much prefer his other, full Awesome, which was strictly for being able to summon his little friend, keeping her a secret.

Hmm, now I have an image of Dex in some sort of costume, probably a wizard, with his fairy friend inside a glass sphere or birdcage or somesuch, telling everyone who asks how the trick is done that it's a trade secret.  If you made it either so she was only seen from one angle, or could get her to hold still or limit herself to in-character mechanical-like movements, it could be both awesome and plausible!

Not mechanical.  Optical.

A large metal and glass lantern with lots of crystals and other reflective surfaces that almost completely "hide" the projector lenses could convince almost every mundane that it is a hologram contained therein.

21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He only started to say it was awesome, he corrected himself pretty quickly based on what the fire guys did.  I much prefer his other, full Awesome, which was strictly for being able to summon his little friend, keeping her a secret.

I was referring to the fact that he stopped with awesome because he likes the comic shop. That implies that if he would summon the fire guy somewhere where he doesn't like it, it would be awesome.

Hmm, now I have an image of Dex in some sort of costume, probably a wizard, with his fairy friend inside a glass sphere or birdcage or somesuch, telling everyone who asks how the trick is done that it's a trade secret.  If you made it either so she was only seen from one angle, or could get her to hold still or limit herself to in-character mechanical-like movements, it could be both awesome and plausible!

I don't think Dex have social skills to try something like this. But otherwise, good idea: in glass sphere (or triangle), the fairy could "play" a hologram. I can totally see someone putting fairy in glass sphere as part of costume, say Link (or Chain), Peter Pan or ... well, I don't think wizards hang up with fairies, but maybe I just don't know one who do. I just think Dex would be too shy for something like that.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A large metal and glass lantern with lots of crystals and other reflective surfaces that almost completely "hide" the projector lenses could convince almost every mundane that it is a hologram contained therein.

... somehow overlook this. Yes.

Even without "lots of crystals", most people would more likely accept hologram than real-life fairy, so no need to spend too much time on it.

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yes, pretending she was a hologram or illusion was what I had in mind for the first option.  With the current state of technology, I think you'd have a hard time selling the idea of a "real image" which can be viewed from all angles and distances.  Something you can only see from one angle would be more plausible.

Hmm, have you ever seen those flying-saucer-shaped things with mirrored interiors, where you can put a penny in the bottom of it and a "real image" of it appears at the opening at the top?  It only works from certain angles, but it's fairly cheap technology.  Maybe she could be inside a large version of one of those.  Then it really would be a "hologram", which you could even pass yor hand through, giving an extra layer of plausible deniability.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

well, I don't think wizards hang up with fairies, but maybe I just don't know one who do.

Here you go.

44 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Some Wizards and Fairies get along quite well

I'm not sure which of those two would be more obscure reference on convention.

There are also fairies and wizards in Chasing Sunset, but they definitely don't go well together. Also, probably also obscure.

4 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yes, pretending she was a hologram or illusion was what I had in mind for the first option.  With the current state of technology, I think you'd have a hard time selling the idea of a "real image" which can be viewed from all angles and distances.  Something you can only see from one angle would be more plausible.

I though that triangle thing I referenced is quite good. Also, as I said: people are more likely to assume you somehow managed to get all angles working than that it's real fairy.

5 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There are also fairies and wizards in Chasing Sunset, but they definitely don't go well together. Also, probably also obscure.

In fairness fairies in Chasing the Sunset are just problematic.  They don't really don't really go well with anybody.

In fairness, the fairies in Chasing Sunset we speak about are actually pixies. And, yes, I'm not surprised the wizards don't like them. Or anyone else.

Just now, hkmaly said:

In fairness, the fairies in Chasing Sunset we speak about are actually pixies. And, yes, I'm not surprised the wizards don't like them. Or anyone else.

That's right.  Pixies.  For those who don't read Chasing the Sunset: Pixies pretty selectively bend reality and steal your "shinies".
  Their alignment is best described as chaotic/whimsical.  They simply don't exist on the good/evil line.

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's right.  Pixies.  For those who don't read Chasing the Sunset: Pixies pretty selectively bend reality and steal your "shinies".
  Their alignment is best described as chaotic/whimsical.  They simply don't exist on the good/evil line.

They also have serious attention problems. One was distracted in middle of teleport spell (presumably, instantaneous teleport spell). Otherwise, they would already rule the world.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Pixies are like Kender but with powerful magic.  Anyone who's read Dragonlance will be shuddering at the thought.

Kenders don't pocket gold and gems. Pixies mostly steals shiny objects, which includes gold and gems. And they have DIMENSIONAL pockets.