• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday March 21, 2016

17 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And don't say there's no plot to the Sims, there are several ways to play with a goal in mind, newer versions include plenty of

challenges, and there are separate games with even more plot, like Castaways.

My only quibble is that plot != goals. Nor would I equate it with "storyline". I'd say Sims has plenty goals, storylines, storytelling opportunities, etc...but not so much plot.

12 hours ago, Sweveham said:

Not just Myst and Monkey Island, but the entire adventure game genre is in general non-violent, as is similar genres like visual novels.

A fair amount of the adventure game genre is about finding all the funny ways you can die horribly and brutally. Really depends on which segment you're looking at.

1 hour ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Grace is not against battle games with cartoonish violence and we know she has already played some Pokémon. In one sketchbook, she told Sarah that she caught a Furfrou and named it Susan. :lol:

Granted, that might not have been canon, but it was still funny and I can totally see her doing that.

Don't forget she also likes to kick turtle arse. "Die by the shells of your fallen comrades you @#$! turtles!" ;)

5 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

What else... Spore. I took over a decent chunk of my spiral arm as a blind herbivore friendly economist single cellsd organism through trading spice and doing happy friendly missions, and rejecting aggressive missions.

... single cell organism? How is that supposed to work?

3 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I haven't played a new computer game in years. Has Railway Tycoon ever been updated? That one was peaceful.

Well personally I considered Transport Tycoon an upgrade to Railway Tycoon, although it seems they aren't related. And Transport Tycoon was upgraded to OpenTTD.

Also logical/puzzle games. Cut the rope, Trainyard express ...

... but it seems she's specially interested in pacifists RPG, which is really hard to find.

12 minutes ago, Qwertystop said:

She's fine with them, yes - doesn't mean she would accept them when specifically looking for a game where lethal combat isn't a primary problem-solving method.

Well yeah, but I imagine that even though she'll play super smash bros no problem, she'll avoid Mortal Kombat. The Fallout games (at least FO3, NV and FO4) are more graphic and also have questionable quest goals that make you go "I don't want to do this because these guys are bad news, but I can't progress unless I do"

I guess she could be playing Borderlands though. :)

5 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Grace is not against battle games with cartoonish violence and we know she has already played some Pokémon. In one sketchbook, she told Sarah that she caught a Furfrou and named it Susan. :lol:

Granted, that might not have been canon, but it was still funny and I can totally see her doing that.

Yes, I'm sure she would/does enjoy pokemon games, but she was specifically wanting "no kill" games, which implies non violent solutions, and "nice"

3 hours ago, Qwertystop said:

She's fine with them, yes - doesn't mean she would accept them when specifically looking for a game where lethal combat isn't a primary problem-solving method.

Yes this, exactly.

10 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I haven't played a new computer game in years. Has Railway Tycoon ever been updated? That one was peaceful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_Tycoon_II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_Tycoon_3

Both are pretty good, but Railroad Tycoon 3 suffers from a flaw in its economic model that I will explain below:

In RRT3, instead of being paid a fee for delivery of cargo, a railroad instead purchases the cargo and then resells it at the delivery point. The flaw in the model is that the game absolutely refuses to allow the cargo to EVER be sold at a loss, even if the money-losing step is a part of a chain that is overall profitable. For example, let's say that you carry logs from a logging camp to a lumber mill, then carry the lumber to a furniture factory to make furniture. If you buy the logs at $21k/carload and the lumber mill will only pay $19k/carload, then you can't sell the logs at the lumber mill to be converted into lumber, even if the furniture factory is willing to pay $30k/carload for the lumber that the mill would produce. This kind of thing can especially become a problem when a scenario goal requires you to deliver a specific cargo to a specific destination, and the destination's price is lower than any of the available sources--you aren't allowed to deliver the cargo at all unless/until the destination's price rises.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

If you buy the logs at $21k/carload and the lumber mill will only pay $19k/carload, then you can't sell the logs at the lumber mill to be converted into lumber, even if the furniture factory is willing to pay $30k/carload for the lumber that the mill would produce. This kind of thing can especially become a problem when a scenario goal requires you to deliver a specific cargo to a specific destination, and the destination's price is lower than any of the available sources--you aren't allowed to deliver the cargo at all unless/until the destination's price rises.

I can totally see real-life stockholders having problems to understand this too.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I can totally see real-life stockholders having problems to understand this too.

But it's easy. What's really happening is that the railroad is buying logs from the loggers at $21k/load and delivering them to the furniture factory at $30k/load, with an intermediate stop for processing. Exactly what bookkeeping goes on at the intermediate stop doesn't really matter as long as it costs the railroad less than $9k/load. Without that processing stop the railroad can't sell the logs to the furniture factory.

In principle it would work the same if, instead of selling the logs to the mill and buying the lumber, the railroad retained ownership of the logs and paid the mill a fee to cut them into lumber.

6 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

But it's easy. What's really happening is that the railroad is buying logs from the loggers at $21k/load and delivering them to the furniture factory at $30k/load, with an intermediate stop for processing. Exactly what bookkeeping goes on at the intermediate stop doesn't really matter as long as it costs the railroad less than $9k/load. Without that processing stop the railroad can't sell the logs to the furniture factory.

In principle it would work the same if, instead of selling the logs to the mill and buying the lumber, the railroad retained ownership of the logs and paid the mill a fee to cut them into lumber.

I didn't said I would be one of them. I just said there will be people who wouldn't understand it. Or at least wouldn't accept it unless there will be additional contract with penalty for case the mill will sell the lumber to someone else. (Or, as you mentioned, if the railroad would retain ownership of the logs.)

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

That's how it should work in anything resembling real life, which is why I said that it was a flaw in the game that you are not allowed to complete a production chain where even one step in the chain is a net loss even if the chain as a whole is profitable.

On 22 March 2016 at 1:01 AM, hkmaly said:

... single cell organism? How is that supposed to work?

Well personally I considered Transport Tycoon an upgrade to Railway Tycoon, although it seems they aren't related. And Transport Tycoon was upgraded to OpenTTD.

Also logical/puzzle games. Cut the rope, Trainyard express ...

... but it seems she's specially interested in pacifists RPG, which is really hard to find.

At the end of the creature stage, breed one last time then make your creature look like the cell it originally was in the Cell stage. From Tribal onwards, you're locked into looking like a cell.

It's amusing to find space civilisations consisting of the default carnivore cell model.