• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

NP: Monday, January 23, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=568

Ok. She DID got the idea to transform some item as I keep talking about last two strips (but ok, I have more time to though about it than her, and not running all the time also helps). At least I suppose it's definitely item and not someone else.

Now, how can this cause Kitty to be tangled into the spell link? Doesn't seem so likely ...

Maybe she's going to enlarge one of their pursuer's shoes?

I suppose they'll succeed in hiding from Kitty, which will lead to her having a bit of a breakdown and crying.

Rhoda and Catalina will take notice and then of course decide to come out and check up on her, which will end their enchantments.

Rhoda might very well be the best spell combatant of the secondary (human) cast, possibly even more so than Noah, who seems to "only" have flight and either high levels of martial arts1 or strength (or a mix of both).  Rhoda has ranged and personal effect spells that work on both living and no living items.  She also seems to be able to do "power stunts" on the fly.   She needs to have Tedd look at her for several hours.

Of course this statement may be with drawn or amplified depending on what she does did.

1I don't know why I had not thought of this before but Cheerleadera isn't just a flying brick, she's also a martial artist, which makes her rather expensive in Hero system points.  In my copious free time, I should write up Hero System2 3 stats for the main 8 + some of the secondary cast. 

2Well, PS 238 RPG stats, which, while for grade school students, would be a better fit than the full Hero System.  Plus not such a massive chunk of rules to deal with.

3It's too bad that the Hero System isn't released under some sort of re-usable license. 

16 minutes ago, detrius said:

Aiming at shoe of running person might be difficult.

17 minutes ago, detrius said:

Rhoda and Catalina will take notice and then of course decide to come out and check up on her, which will end their enchantments.

Unlikely.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Rhoda might very well be the best spell combatant of the secondary (human) cast, possibly even more so than Noah

Considering Noah is not (fully) human, that's given.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

who seems to "only" have flight and either high levels of martial arts1 or strength (or a mix of both).

And summoning of tonfa.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
13 minutes ago, mlooney said:

who seems to "only" have flight and either high levels of martial arts1 or strength (or a mix of both).

And summoning of tonfa.

That's just an OAF for his martial arts powers.  Makes them cheaper.  Thank you for reminding me.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:
5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That's just an OAF for his martial arts powers.

Open Accessibility Framework?

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Makes them cheaper.

Obvious Accessible Focus.  Might be Obvious Inaccessible Focus, depending  on if they can be taken from him or not.

As to cheaper, explaining the Hero System point system is, ah, complex.  It's a point buy system that has both disadvantages for more build points, plus it has ways (so many ways...) of making powers cheaper.  It could be used as a means of teaching double entry book keeping.

If Rhoda wants to trip Kitty, I think she will enlarge her skirt so that it slips down her legs. That would make her fall over completely and need to untangle herself before resuming the chase (and she would be slowed slightly thereafter if she has to hold the skirt up by hand--or else she will have to spend extra seconds grabbing something from the racks to wear).

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Rhoda is already aiming with her palms, there's no indication she needs to do anything beyond pointing them in the general direction.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Unlikely.

How so?

It's already established that Kitty is obsessed with cat girls and that she has an outgoing personality and doesn't hide her feelings. In fact, this is basically everything we know about her at this point.

It's not a stretch to assume that missing this chance to meet two genuine cat girls would result in a moment of despair and that she would vocalize it audibly (sobbing, crying, wailing etc.), especially if she comes to the conclusion that she scared them off.

Rhoda and Catalina would still be close enough to notice this (also: cat ears) and they're definitely the type of person who'd turn around to see if they can help. And if they don't want to hide any longer, their enchantments end - that has been confirmed by Pandora.

Last but not least, don't forget that Dan intentionally created Kitty as a person obsessed with cat girls just for this storyline, so there's probably a purpose for this trait. He didn't need a character like that just to chase Rhoda and Catalina into the department store (they were already running there when they encountered Kitty), so there should be another reason. My guess is that Dan's thinking was along the lines of "What would convince Rhoda and Catalina to come out of hiding? Well, they'd leave their hiding place if someone was in trouble and in need of their help", so he came up with a way to make that happen.

And yeah, that's just a hunch, but I think it's a coherent argument and I would like it if the story turns out that way.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Obvious Accessible Focus.  Might be Obvious Inaccessible Focus, depending  on if they can be taken from him or not.

As to cheaper, explaining the Hero System point system is, ah, complex.  It's a point buy system that has both disadvantages for more build points, plus it has ways (so many ways...) of making powers cheaper.  It could be used as a means of teaching double entry book keeping.

You could do so many things with this system. Some of them awesome, some of them ridiculously awesome, some of them just ridiculous. One of my friends invented a superleap power with so large a noncombat multiplier that he could jump from Denmark to Iceland in just one jump. The big problem with that power was that the math just didn't work. He moved at such speed that he easily broke escape velocity which means he wouldn't actually arrive in Iceland but just go on into space, lost forever.

Just now, detrius said:

She could also enlarge one of the clothing racks to block Kitty off.

Just now, mlooney said:

Well the tonfas faded away after he dropped them when the dragon knocked him down. Though that could either be because of the lost contact with them, or the loss of concentration, or maybe both.

Just now, detrius said:

Rhoda is already aiming with her palms, there's no indication she needs to do anything beyond pointing them in the general direction.

And Rhoda stated she didn't want to do anything to Kitty, anything Kitty's wearing is still part of Kitty so Rhoda would still be doing something to her if she did. Enlarging something nearby can still slow Kitty down while not actually doing anything to her specifically.

If Rhoda enlarges a rack of clothes, it will throw the clothing industry into chaos.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to shop the "big and tall" racks in department stores really appreciate the limited selection.  It makes choosing clothes so much faster.  And the inflated prices ensure that we are less tempted to buy new clothes impulsively.

I shudder to think what would happen if a big department store suddenly put out racks of fashionable clothes in the larger sizes but priced the same as the "normal" sizes.

Fortunately, EGS enchantments tend to be temporary.  We should all be grateful that those customers who buy the enlarged clothes will find them shrinking back to their proper size within a matter of hours.   Probably when it would cause the most embarrassment for the person wearing those clothes.

4 hours ago, detrius said:

And if they don't want to hide any longer, their enchantments end - that has been confirmed by Pandora.

I don't agree that it's confirmed. If Pandora figures that within half an hour either they'll have successfully gotten away or they'll be in a situation where attempting to hide would be pointless, but the enchantment-tangle will wear off after more than half an hour, then (she'll believe) they won't be disenchanted "until sometime after they no longer care about hiding".

Also note "until sometime after" - not just "until". Implying a possible significant delay between the not-caring and the expiration.

51 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Fortunately, EGS enchantments tend to be temporary.  We should all be grateful that those customers who buy the enlarged clothes will find them shrinking back to their proper size within a matter of hours.   Probably when it would cause the most embarrassment for the person wearing those clothes.

No, there'll be a safety feature that they can't shrink too much while being worn.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

If Rhoda wants to trip Kitty, I think she will enlarge her skirt so that it slips down her legs. That would make her fall over completely and need to untangle herself before resuming the chase (and she would be slowed slightly thereafter if she has to hold the skirt up by hand--or else she will have to spend extra seconds grabbing something from the racks to wear).

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

She could also enlarge one of the clothing racks to block Kitty off.

I think it's more likely she hits something else than what Kitty wears, because unlike us, she doesn't want to embarrass her by possible wardrobe malfunction. Also,

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

And Rhoda stated she didn't want to do anything to Kitty, anything Kitty's wearing is still part of Kitty so Rhoda would still be doing something to her if she did. Enlarging something nearby can still slow Kitty down while not actually doing anything to her specifically.

12 hours ago, detrius said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... right. She likely doesn't actually need to aim, just think she's aiming is enough. Still, she might not believe she will be able to hit shoe, and therefore she won't.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Unlikely.

How so?

It's already established that Kitty is obsessed with cat girls and that she has an outgoing personality and doesn't hide her feelings. In fact, this is basically everything we know about her at this point.

It's not a stretch to assume that missing this chance to meet two genuine cat girls would result in a moment of despair and that she would vocalize it audibly (sobbing, crying, wailing etc.), especially if she comes to the conclusion that she scared them off.

Rhoda and Catalina would still be close enough to notice this (also: cat ears) and they're definitely the type of person who'd turn around to see if they can help. And if they don't want to hide any longer, their enchantments end - that has been confirmed by Pandora.

Last but not least, don't forget that Dan intentionally created Kitty as a person obsessed with cat girls just for this storyline, so there's probably a purpose for this trait. He didn't need a character like that just to chase Rhoda and Catalina into the department store (they were already running there when they encountered Kitty), so there should be another reason. My guess is that Dan's thinking was along the lines of "What would convince Rhoda and Catalina to come out of hiding? Well, they'd leave their hiding place if someone was in trouble and in need of their help", so he came up with a way to make that happen.

And yeah, that's just a hunch, but I think it's a coherent argument and I would like it if the story turns out that way.

The way you originally phrased it, it sounded like they fail their hiding, and I don't think they would be THAT stupid. Although explained like this ... I can imagine them trying to transform back, being distracted by Kitty's sobbing, then saying something like "we can't go look what's happening while we look like this" which would be followed by the enchantment ending. AFTER that, they will go check on Kitty, deny seeing any catgirls (or at least being them) but somehow make her stop sobbing anyway.

Alternatively, they simply fail escaping/hiding from Kitty.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

You could do so many things with this system. Some of them awesome, some of them ridiculously awesome, some of them just ridiculous. One of my friends invented a superleap power with so large a noncombat multiplier that he could jump from Denmark to Iceland in just one jump. The big problem with that power was that the math just didn't work. He moved at such speed that he easily broke escape velocity which means he wouldn't actually arrive in Iceland but just go on into space, lost forever.

Intercontinental ballistic missiles have longer range and also move ballistically, don't they? I would expect that jumping in way your trajectory resembles ballistic missiles would be possible. You would also suffocate few minutes after start of jump, but you WOULD fall back to earth.

Or it was JUST the speed and not distance which was problem?

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

And if they don't want to hide any longer, their enchantments end - that has been confirmed by Pandora.

I don't agree that it's confirmed. If Pandora figures that within half an hour either they'll have successfully gotten away or they'll be in a situation where attempting to hide would be pointless, but the enchantment-tangle will wear off after more than half an hour, then (she'll believe) they won't be disenchanted "until sometime after they no longer care about hiding".

Also note "until sometime after" - not just "until". Implying a possible significant delay between the not-caring and the expiration.

Good point.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If Rhoda enlarges a rack of clothes, it will throw the clothing industry into chaos.

Those of us who are fortunate enough to shop the "big and tall" racks in department stores really appreciate the limited selection.  It makes choosing clothes so much faster.  And the inflated prices ensure that we are less tempted to buy new clothes impulsively.

I shudder to think what would happen if a big department store suddenly put out racks of fashionable clothes in the larger sizes but priced the same as the "normal" sizes.

I'm sure the shop owner would quickly remove any transformed clothes and not allow anyone to buy them.

In fact, buying them might be impossible due to anti-theft devices not working correctly after resizing.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No, there'll be a safety feature that they can't shrink too much while being worn.

It will still stop being comfortable. Also, the safety feature is something Tedd deliberately added, Rhoda might not have it in her spell, AND it may work only when transforming, not de-transforming.

In fact, Rhoda specifically talked about how she needed to get naked to not destroy her clothes when growing. So, no safety.

It was the sheer speed. The entirety of the jump took less than a minute to complete. This meant an airspeed of some 2000 miles per minute or 120.000 mph or 33 or so miles per second. That is around four times escape velocity.

13 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It was the sheer speed. The entirety of the jump took less than a minute to complete. This meant an airspeed of some 2000 miles per minute or 120.000 mph or 33 or so miles per second. That is around four times escape velocity.

Soo over 53km/s, with Sun's escape velocity on Earth orbit being 42.1km/s. Yeah, totally lost.

Soo over 50km/s, with Sun's escape velocity on Earth orbit being 42.1km/s. Yeah, totally lost.

I hadn't worked it out that far, but yeah, that doesn't help matters. I figured being lost somewhere in solar orbit would be bad enough.

15 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Soo over 50km/s, with Sun's escape velocity on Earth orbit being 42.1km/s. Yeah, totally lost.

I hadn't worked it out that far, but yeah, that doesn't help matters. I figured being lost somewhere in solar orbit would be bad enough.

Actually, wait. Earth orbital speed is 30km/s. So, depending on which direction would he jump (if it would add, substract or something between), he could end up in Sun, on orbit crossing Earth's or outside the Solar system.

... can someone who played Kerbal verify this?

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That is almost as fast as the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow.

21 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That is almost as fast as the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow.

And just what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow?

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Intercontinental ballistic missiles have longer range and also move ballistically, don't they? I would expect that jumping in way your trajectory resembles ballistic missiles would be possible. You would also suffocate few minutes after start of jump, but you WOULD fall back to earth.

Some ICBM can make orbit.  There is a theoretically  banned attack method where the ICBM enters orbit, then de-orbits to hit the target.  Banned because "national technical means" would not be able to tell the launch from a space launch.

As I said in the SF physics thread, low earth orbital speed is 7.8 km/s