• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday January 23, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2302

... sooo, lot of texts about "telling you later". Ok. Didn't expected there would be so many of them so it was surprise there was nothing else, but on the other hand in hindsight ... also, yes, Ellen got them too.

Also, Grace, seriously, two guys cuddling in public would be weird. And Tedd shouldn't transform to girl in school. (At least if I understand the difference between hug and cuddle correctly.)

That's what wrong with kids today.  Using text messages and expecting it to be like a phone call.  You are freaking holding a phone in your hands.  If you need a 2 way conversation with some one CALL THEM.

And they need to stay off my lawn.

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That's what wrong with kids today.  Using text messages and expecting it to be like a phone call.  You are freaking holding a phone in your hands.  If you need a 2 way conversation with some one CALL THEM.

1) It's even worse with EMAIL. Some kids expect that email will always arrive immediately after sending and complain if it doesn't. Oh wait, it wasn't kid, it was my boss (who already HAVE kid, so definitely older).

(If email arrives four DAYS after sending, it's still considered correct behaviour of all computers involved.)

2) The disadvantage of call is that you can interrupt something. People don't always like being called, especially when sleeping.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The disadvantage of call is that you can interrupt something. People don't always like being called, especially when sleeping.

Many people have their text device set to make an alarm at least as loud and attention drawing as their phone ring tone.  And I know of people that expect you to wake up and reply text at weird hours of the morning.  Like until she got yelled at by both of her older brothers about it, my sister1.

1Granted she is GenX not GenZ/Millennial, but she acts a lot like a Millennial.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:
4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The disadvantage of call is that you can interrupt something. People don't always like being called, especially when sleeping.

Many people have their text device set to make an alarm at least as loud and attention drawing as their phone ring tone.

Some kids maybe. Mine is two beeps, while the ring tone is three minutes long MIDI (ok, I think the phone isn't actually able to play it whole ...)

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Many people have their text device set to make an alarm at least as loud and attention drawing as their phone ring tone.

Some kids maybe. Mine is two beeps, while the ring tone is three minutes long MIDI (ok, I think the phone isn't actually able to play it whole ...)

Many does imply not all, just a lot of.  Doesn't even imply a plurality, just a significant number of.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Many does imply not all, just a lot of.  Doesn't even imply a plurality, just a significant number of.

I was going to implication that it's ONLY kids. (Although I'm sure that's not literally true ; it would, however, make sense that people who expect text messages to be answered promptly have more attention drawing alarms for them, while people who don't have attention drawing alarms for text messages often fail to answer them promptly ...)

6 minutes ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Does it count that I have a special text tone just for texts FROM my millennial son?  (It's CL4P-TP from Borderlands saying "Sooo lonely...." because I'm a smartass dad that way)

You definitely get bonus points if your text tone correctly guesses content of the message more than 50% of time.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

I was going to implication that it's ONLY kids.

I am 57, any one under 40 is a kid.  And they need to stay off my lawn.

Just hope Tedd does not bawl over his failure.

Unless it is implied, Elliot should be proud that he can read the feelings of the texts from his friends (EXCEPT THE FIFTH FACE).

Yep, the texts were about Tedd. Didn't expect Ellen would get texted about it as well, but it makes sense that if Elliot didn't answer his right away, they'd likely try Ellen. Ellen probably received her texts while her and Nanase talked to Susan if Elliot was talking with Ashley when he received his.

Alternatively, I can see Elliot just leaving his phone in his room frequently, but I would have figured Ellen would have made more effort to have her phone with her as much as possible, but I dunno how else Ellen could have missed the texts.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

2) The disadvantage of call is that you can interrupt something. People don't always like being called, especially when sleeping.

That is what voicemail is for. 

If you are busy let it go to voicemail and call back once free. 

Do not want to be woken up while asleep, turn off the ringer, or use an app that turns it off during specific times/conditions.

14 hours ago, Stormtalon42 said:

Does it count that I have a special text tone just for texts FROM my millennial son?  (It's CL4P-TP from Borderlands saying "Sooo lonely...." because I'm a smartass dad that way)

I keep meaning to figure out how to install a TARDIS vworp-vworp noise on mine.  In everyday life, it's fun to see who recognizes it.  For sci-fi cons or Mensa gatherings, when at least half the phones are in TARDIS cases, I'll change it to the sound effect for jaunting, to make it more of a challenge to find recognition.  ;-)

4 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

Do not want to be woken up while asleep, turn off the ringer, or use an app that turns it off during specific times/conditions.

In many ways, a text can be more convenient to receive, too.  It's a lot faster to read a text or two than to call yourvoicemail box and sit through (possibly more than one) entire messages, possibly needing to replay them if there's information you need to write down, if you can find a pen or get your phone to play the message so you can hear and use the notetaking function at the same time.....

I don't have a smart phone yet, mine's more average, but I have learned to appreciate texting.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Alternatively, I can see Elliot just leaving his phone in his room frequently, but I would have figured Ellen would have made more effort to have her phone with her as much as possible, but I dunno how else Ellen could have missed the texts.

Uhh ... why?

7 hours ago, Sjmcc13 said:

No, voicemail is to make the caller pay more for contacting you. If you aren't able to talk with recipient directly, it's MUCH better to send him text than to leave voicemail, for reasons CritterKeeper mentioned.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't have a smart phone yet, mine's more average, but I have learned to appreciate texting.

I have a normal ("dumb") phone for calling. I also have something the vendor called smart phone, but I'm pretty sure it's tablet, because it's too big to use it for calling and can't send texts. (Ok, the fact I put SIM designed for tablets inside might contributed to the text bit ...)

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Uhh ... why?

For the same reason that Ellen seems to keep up with her spellbook, sure we haven't actually seen her showing off new spells lately or actually reading her spellbook, the fact that she hasn't had any "I didn't know I could do that" moments and people have only teased Elliot about it is enough to believe that this is definitely one of those aspects of Elliot that Ellen's made an effort to not keep.

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:

For the same reason that Ellen seems to keep up with her spellbook, sure we haven't actually seen her showing off new spells lately or actually reading her spellbook, the fact that she hasn't had any "I didn't know I could do that" moments and people have only teased Elliot about it is enough to believe that this is definitely one of those aspects of Elliot that Ellen's made an effort to not keep.

Eh, I'm willing to give Ellen this one. Knowing from experience that building new habits is hard, and being able to do it in one area doesn't mean you'll be perfect in others. That and some people just don't want to keep on top of texts as if they are life and death, and are happy to deal with them a bit later in the day rather than immediately.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Uhh ... why?

Considering even Nanase had those moment and she DEFINITELY reads her spellbook, she might just be lucky as opposed to actually study it that meticulously.

4 hours ago, banneret said:

I always miss calls, and nobody ever leaves a message.

It amazes me how many times I'll call someone, get their voicemail, and while I'm leaving them a message on one line, they'll call back on another line, even if they didn't know who was calling!  If I see an unfamiliar number pop up on my phone, I'll wait to see if they leave a message telling me who they are and why I should call them back.  If they don't leave a message, maybe it was a wrong number or telemarketer or something.  It's not suddenly my job to call them back blind, any more than it was with a land line.