• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Pinup: Monday January 23, 2017

https://egspinups.tumblr.com/post/156282704555/single-eighties-work-out-ashley-the-honest

Tumblr link because patreon is down for maintenance.

I like this one, no transformation, she's not just standing around, her expression looks like she might be greeting whoever just walked into the room.

Not completely sold on the colour combination though, but I think Dan was right about her hair highlights being a limiting factor, and dark green probably wouldn't have looked good in the outfit.

Mirror is a night touch too.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Not completely sold on the colour combination though, but I think Dan was right about her hair highlights being a limiting factor, and dark green probably wouldn't have looked good in the outfit.

Maybe, but I don't like his reasoning. Just because comics is in greyscale doesn't mean the EGS reality is greyscale - there IS color to everything, even if Dan doesn't choose which one.

On the other hand, people can change hair color, even if it doesn't change "spontaneously".

Also, the commentary is funny but again, it makes it less canon than the image. She obviously greets Elliot and obviously pretends she just ended up in this pose doing an exercise routine (although in reality, she noticed someone is coming, guessed it was Elliot and changed her routine a little ; of course, being Ashley, she admits she did that in next five minutes ... wait, maybe don't. She successfully didn't mentioned her reason to leave jackets in car was to show Elliot her clothes, after all).

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe, but I don't like his reasoning. Just because comics is in greyscale doesn't mean the EGS reality is greyscale - there IS color to everything, even if Dan doesn't choose which one.

On the other hand, people can change hair color, even if it doesn't change "spontaneously".

Yeah, this is mainly a case of Dan already establishing in canon that Ashley's hair had dark green high...wait...Ashley was never in any of the coloured story arcs was she? Just coloured in sketchbooks and pinups? So maybe dark green isn't canon.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, the commentary is funny but again, it makes it less canon than the image. She obviously greets Elliot and obviously pretends she just ended up in this pose doing an exercise routine (although in reality, she noticed someone is coming, guessed it was Elliot and changed her routine a little ; of course, being Ashley, she admits she did that in next five minutes ... wait, maybe don't. She successfully didn't mentioned her reason to leave jackets in car was to show Elliot her clothes, after all).

I'll admit, I didn't read the commentary before I posted. My comment about the hair was based on what Dan tweeted about while he was still working on it. But yeah, stating she was trying to seduce Diane with that pose, seems it would fit more as an alternate reality where Ashley had a crush on Diane and was jealous of her dating Elliot or something.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, this is mainly a case of Dan already establishing in canon that Ashley's hair had dark green high...wait...Ashley was never in any of the coloured story arcs was she? Just coloured in sketchbooks and pinups? So maybe dark green isn't canon.

Well, colored panels of comics were generally though to be canon, but ... yeah, might not be canon.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, colored panels of comics were generally though to be canon, but ... yeah, might not be canon.

Even in that link's commentary, Dan's unsure about Ashley having the green highlights and the worrying about the potential for unflattering colour schemes.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Even in that link's commentary, Dan's unsure about Ashley having the green highlights and the worrying about the potential for unflattering colour schemes.

Yes. On the other hand it implies she was originally supposed to have green hair: even if it wasn't mentioned in story commentaries (ok, I looked and didn't find it) it would clearly indicate he originally planed it like that, which is not the same as canon but also still more relevant than this pinup.

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. On the other hand it implies she was originally supposed to have green hair: even if it wasn't mentioned in story commentaries (ok, I looked and didn't find it) it would clearly indicate he originally planed it like that, which is not the same as canon but also still more relevant than this pinup.

I can't remember if Dan ever stated it, but it would make sense if he felt giving everyone brown, blonde, black, red, grey hair would be too boring or something, and so decided he'd throw in characters with orange, blue, purple, green, etc, hair to give variation to everyone. I guess the downside to that is possibly giving a recurring character a particular colour might seem like painting yourself into a corner in terms of what colours go well with it when trying to come up with outfits.

37 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I'm not sure Ashley having "mood hair" is going to work much better...

Unlike most comics authors, Dan can actually give Ashley spell like that and it wouldn't surprise anyone. Seriously. ESPECIALLY if she in-story would dye her hair to make it match her clothes - that counts almost as yearning, doesn't it?

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Unlike most comics authors, Dan can actually give Ashley spell like that and it wouldn't surprise anyone. Seriously. ESPECIALLY if she in-story would dye her hair to make it match her clothes - that counts almost as yearning, doesn't it?

Dan technically already gave that spell to Nanase, though Nanase's spell isn't limited to colour.

I figured out what I find wrong with that picture.

She needs to be further from the mirror - and, unless she's leading a class, facing the mirror.

Actually, if she's in a ballet classroom (she does play ballet, after all), she REALLY needs to be further from the mirror, because there's a handrail about 8 inches from the mirror a few inches above the top of the picture and she is definitely going to hit it when she stands up.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Dan technically already gave that spell to Nanase, though Nanase's spell isn't limited to colour.

More exactly, Nanase's hair spell have changing color as one of the least important parts, almost sideefect.

37 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

and, unless she's leading a class, facing the mirror

I don't think she's in class. I think she's doing the routine (or pretends to) alone.

38 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Actually, if she's in a ballet classroom (she does play ballet, after all), she REALLY needs to be further from the mirror, because there's a handrail about 8 inches from the mirror a few inches above the top of the picture and she is definitely going to hit it when she stands up.

I agree that if it's ballet classroom she risks hitting the handrail. I'm not sure what would be the problem without the handrail, though.

... her being too close to mirror confirms she's not actually doing the routine.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

More exactly, Nanase's hair spell have changing color as one of the least important parts, almost sideefect.

I wouldn't call it a side effect, the whole spell was intended for disguise purposes, and she stated that is was "currently limited to hair" so I would imagine she might be able to do more with it by now or at some point, probably much like Rhoda's disguise spell.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:
14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I wouldn't call it a side effect, the whole spell was intended for disguise purposes, and she stated that is was "currently limited to hair" so I would imagine she might be able to do more with it by now or at some point, probably much like Rhoda's disguise spell.

The spell primarily changes length and style. Color is least important part.

(I said ALMOST sideefect.)

Also, considering it was well before timeskip, I would assume that yes, she can already do more with it by now.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also, considering it was well before timeskip, I would assume that yes, she can already do more with it by now.

I'm only unsure about whether or not she can do more because she only just got her magic back a couple weeks earlier, so I dunno how much she would have used the spell. I know she's using it to maintain her current style, but how often would she have to reapply it? If it's every day then chances are good that she's upgraded the spell. If it's once a week though, then she's probably used it 2-3 times.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

I'm not sure Ashley having "mood hair" is going to work much better...

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Think of it as hazel. It changes its apparent color depending on what she wears. ;)

Indeed, my hair is mostly dark brown, but it has orange-red highlights in sunshine, more of a very light brown in other lighting, and the grey is more visible in yet others.  I can definitely believe Ashley having hair with the right sort of reflective properties for it to take on surrounding colors!

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:
32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm only unsure about whether or not she can do more because she only just got her magic back a couple weeks earlier, so I dunno how much she would have used the spell. I know she's using it to maintain her current style, but how often would she have to reapply it? If it's every day then chances are good that she's upgraded the spell. If it's once a week though, then she's probably used it 2-3 times.

.... riiight, lot of time passed but she hadn't her magic most of that time including whole timeskip. She used it more than 2-3 times during the Sister II story alone, but she probably needs to use it more to get it enhanced ... so, maybe not.

Forgot about how long she was without magic. She probably casted lot of spells afterwards just because she can, but that might be mostly fairy.

Of course someone would identify it as reminiscent of the video of Eric Prydz' hit. Then again, Prydz played the trope nicely, if not really well.

Now who would portray Jane Fonda or Richard Simmons?

On 1/24/2017 at 5:20 PM, hkmaly said:

Um, Ashley's pink being in the same color zone as Tedd's? Hot pink, maybe?

All in favor of having a dark green version just because...

7 hours ago, Stature said:

All in favor of having a dark green version just because...

My headcanon is that Ashley highlights her hair. The green was so that she could match Liz's goth/grunge look. The pink would be something she thought would match Mall Girl Elliot. ;)