• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Friday January 27, 2017

19 minutes ago, Stature said:

Cause it is?

Cause it is what?

I second Tedd's "Did everyone but me know I was gender fluid?!" ... yeah, sure, it's not something which would often appear in normal conversation, but conversations with Tedd are often not normal ; it's weird it took so long before someone mentioned it.

And regarding his choice: yup, that spell could make it harder until he get used to it. Although I think going to school as girl is bad idea. Or does he thinks about making himself more masculine?

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Cause it is what?

"I'd say this counts as a Friday comic." But today IS Friday. Eh, the pacing makes me snarkier by the day.

Tedd's choice what he'd want his physical sex to be if magic were to change, which would make him lose the ability to change it at will.

Also, please edit the title. This comic is for the 27th.

1 hour ago, Indrid Cold said:

Again, blame AutoFill. But thanks for the concern anyway.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Is Tedd going to school as a girl?

Wonder how that will go with his school record (as long as they are aware, yet since we all know the voice is not a dead giveaway).

Going to school as a girl might have another consequence: Elliot is depending on people not thinking/wanting to believe that someone male would turn into a female superhero, but if he's hanging out with someone who just became female...
(Although maybe people would start to suspect Tedd of being Cheerleadra?)

Just now, hkmaly said:

I second Tedd's "Did everyone but me know I was gender fluid?!" ... yeah, sure, it's not something which would often appear in normal conversation, but conversations with Tedd are often not normal ; it's weird it took so long before someone mentioned it.

The number of times Tedd's been seen as a girl by the others, it wouldn't have taken long for at least a couple of them to figure out that Tedd is genderfluid, Justin is insightful enough, and Sarah might have looked it up online at some point, or Grace mentioned it to her. They likely just assumed Tedd already knew as well, just like Grace assumed Tedd knew what transgendered meant beyond just casual genderswapping.

Just now, hkmaly said:

And regarding his choice: yup, that spell could make it harder until he get used to it. Although I think going to school as girl is bad idea. Or does he thinks about making himself more masculine?

Unless it's very subtle changes, change blindness might work. But yeah considering the chances of running into Tony, being a girl probably isn't a good idea. Being noticeably more masculine would raise rumours of magic use.

Given Tedd's disposition in the last comic we saw him in (at least, the last one that was focused on him), I kinda wonder if he's referring to whether or not he should bother using the spell at all. Given that he felt that he was really close to being responsible for ruining magic by wanting to make it public. I wouldn't be surprised if the choice is to continue using magic, or give up on it.

There is a part of me that thinks that when we see Tedd at school, his behaviour might contradict what Sarah and Grace warned Elliot and Ellen about.

This is some heavy stuff, man.

I didn't realize that this would be another reason why magic changing would be such a huge deal for Tedd. But now when it is pointed out, it is so obvious.

It is even heavier when you think of the fact that Tedd's situation here is not far from the reality of genderfluid people in this world.

And also not susceptible to changes in magic since it's alien tech.

ALSO, I don't understand what's up with the 3rd panel. Is that real dialog from hypothetical transformations on actual people?

53 minutes ago, Drachefly said:

ALSO, I don't understand what's up with the 3rd panel. Is that real dialog from hypothetical transformations on actual people?

That's my understanding of it as well, Tedd actually says that, but either Tedd, Justin, or Sarah is imagining it maybe?

Honestly, when I first saw the page, I didn't see the "Last Friday Night" narrative and was confused about seeing Tedd talking to Justin and Grace again when we should have been seeing what happened at school first, hehe.

11 hours ago, Indrid Cold said:

Tedd's choice what he'd want his physical sex to be if magic were to change, which would make him lose the ability to change it at will.

I think this is the crux of his choice.  If Magic changes, it the excess magic in the area that let's him cast this spell goes away, what gender would he want to be permanently?  True, he has other means of changing himself temporarily, and the TF gun shouldn't be affected by Magic changing or excess magic leaking away, but knowing he could change his default form whenever he wanted but that soon he might not be able to so easily, drives home that he perhaps he should choose what gender should to have as a default.

And perhaps he needs to have a talk with his father.  I think that Edward, despite what he has said in the past, should be able to accept the real Tedd.

I mean, if he's gender fluid, that just means that he should find a body he's most comfortable staying with (the least amount of body dysmorphia) and do what he wants the rest of the time. That's what a lot of folks I know ended up with. I don't think that it's going to be that easy to bully whatever choice he makes either...I guess it's down to having The Talk with Edward.

8 minutes ago, Tuscahoma said:

And perhaps he needs to have a talk with his father.  I think that Edward, despite what he has said in the past, should be able to accept the real Tedd.

I agree.  Ed Verres is not a prejudiced man.  Tedd needs to tell his dad what's up and get it settled.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:
13 hours ago, Indrid Cold said:

I think this is the crux of his choice.  If Magic changes, it the excess magic in the area that let's him cast this spell goes away, what gender would he want to be permanently? 

1 hour ago, weirdee said:

I mean, if he's gender fluid, that just means that he should find a body he's most comfortable staying with (the least amount of body dysmorphia) and do what he wants the rest of the time.

I honestly don't think this is the case. For one, if magic changes, Tedd will still have the TFG to use to switch back and forth just like he always did. And two, having to choose which gender he wants to be in case magic does change doesn't really sound like a genderfluid type of thinking, mainly because of the times Tedd would feel more like a guy than a girl, sure there's the TFG he can use for that but then why have to choose in the first place.

Also there is three, Tedd said that even though it the spell changes his default form, it's not exactly permanent. Because it's a spell, if magic changed and he loses the spell, then it's likely Tedd would return to his original form.

I'm just going to add my agreement to the people who've said that Tedd needs to have a serious talk with his father.  It sounds like he's being cornered into choosing a permanent/default gender for himself, and if that's the case, then he really needs to make sure his father won't freak out about it if Tedd chooses female instead of male. (Grace should be fine with it either way.  Her shapeshifting means that even if Tedd is never male again, they could still potentially have kids together someday.)

14 hours ago, Stature said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Cause it is what?

"I'd say this counts as a Friday comic." But today IS Friday. Eh, the pacing makes me snarkier by the day.

Yes, but Dan meant that it is cliffhanger.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Being noticeably more masculine would raise rumours of magic use.

Or steroid use I guess :)

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

There is a part of me that thinks that when we see Tedd at school, his behaviour might contradict what Sarah and Grace warned Elliot and Ellen about.

Behaviour, maybe. Feeling, not so much. He would still be more brittle than usual, no matter what his decision would be.

Better not telling him about his mother today.

9 hours ago, Sweveham said:

I didn't realize that this would be another reason why magic changing would be such a huge deal for Tedd. But now when it is pointed out, it is so obvious.

5 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

I think Tedd should stick to the transform ray he already had, since that's NOT permanent in any way, shape, or form.

5 hours ago, Drachefly said:

And also not susceptible to changes in magic since it's alien tech.

This. Even if magic would change (and not knowing he's the rare wizard who will became MORE important then), he can still change gender using TF gun.

2 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

I think this is the crux of his choice.  If Magic changes, it the excess magic in the area that let's him cast this spell goes away, what gender would he want to be permanently?  True, he has other means of changing himself temporarily, and the TF gun shouldn't be affected by Magic changing or excess magic leaking away, but knowing he could change his default form whenever he wanted but that soon he might not be able to so easily, drives home that he perhaps he should choose what gender should to have as a default.

Hmmmmm ... this makes sense. It PROBABLY isn't decision he need to do now, but ... maybe he don't want to risk?

36 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also there is three, Tedd said that even though it the spell changes his default form, it's not exactly permanent. Because it's a spell, if magic changed and he loses the spell, then it's likely Tedd would return to his original form.

It IS still default form and if magic changes, he wouldn't return.

33 minutes ago, Ranma_2k8 said:

I'm just going to add my agreement to the people who've said that Tedd needs to have a serious talk with his father.  It sounds like he's being cornered into choosing a permanent/default gender for himself, and if that's the case, then he really needs to make sure his father won't freak out about it if Tedd chooses female instead of male.

It would be good idea to talk about it, but shouldn't Tedd do it even if his father WOULD freak out?

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If magic cuts down a tree it remains cut down after magic goes away, and Susan's swords can make a very real hole in things. Ted's spell appears to be able to change the world, not enchant the world, and I don't think magic going away would undo it.