• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Wednesday March 23, 2016

What would actually be left of the capital after getting nuked? Well, that depends on the yield of that nuke. Either "not much" or "crater".

Rhoda? There is an order for giant ants coming!

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh, no. That... It actually CAN happen without anything new being introduced, other than an anthill. I... REALLY hope this doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I can't help but think that Grace's shirt is the kind that you get when you order a subscription to Sports Illuminated.

Illuminated?

Sports Illuminated

The Illuminati's internal publication about what is REALLY happening in athletics.

Do you think it was just a coincidence that Middle Tennessee's "upset" win  in the first round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament would ensure that there were absolutely no "perfect" brackets for the remainder of March Madness?  If you had read last month's Sports Illuminated, you would have known what was scheduled.

I've been procrastinating. I've never touched any of the Fallout series. I might actually just jump into 3 eventually if I can find a cheap copy (or a steam sale)

On 3/23/2016 at 2:52 AM, InfiniteRemnant said:

So, Does Ted's shirt make anyone else think of Frisk or just me?

Tedd's choice of attire fills you with DETERMINATION.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:44 AM, hkmaly said:

What would actually be left of the capital after getting nuked? Well, that depends on the yield of that nuke. Either "not much" or "crater".

LOL Rhoda and giant ants! I hope she's not too scared of bugs . . .

As for Washington D.C., I would expect that any hardened military defenses would survive (the Pentagon and other military bases, and the underground bunkers for protecting key government personnel and records), but most of the above-ground structures would be destroyed. A low-yield nuke would probably have an effect similar to Hiroshima (buildings and people destroyed for a half-mile radius, and a firestorm beginning over most of the area within a one-mile radius, possibly spreading if weather is favorable to it and firefighting is ineffective), while a higher-yield nuke would be the same but over a much larger area, possibly the entire city. Craters only happen if the bomb is detonated close to ground level--an airburst like Hiroshima or Nagasaki would leave no crater.

Even with Rhoda's help, would an arthropod bigger than a medium dog even be able to move? Coconut crabs are about as big as they get (on land anyway) IRL, and in every video I've seen they are SLOOOOOOOOW.

38 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Even with Rhoda's help, would an arthropod bigger than a medium dog even be able to move? Coconut crabs are about as big as they get (on land anyway) IRL, and in every video I've seen they are SLOOOOOOOOW.

In real life, organisms have to obey the square-cube law. In stories where there is magic, the square-cube law can be ignored, presumably because magic compensates for it.

59 minutes ago, partner555 said:

In real life, organisms have to obey the square-cube law. In stories where there is magic, the square-cube law can be ignored, presumably because magic compensates for it.

Hey it's not that we ignore the laws of physics, it's just that we view them more as polite suggestions...

Adrian Raven already stated that the giant boar was clearly violating the square-cube law, so it is implied that any living things enlarged by Rhoda's spell would be likewise. The magical energy within the spell apparently maintains its targets against such problems.

The square-cube law is not only about oxygen supply to the cells. Its about food supply to the cells, bone strength, muscle strength, ability to get food into the stomach, ability to get nutrients from the food into the bloodstream...

(editing white-on-white text is a pain.)

Muscle/bone strength-per-weight and oxygen/CO2 are the short-term most-limiting factors, however. Eating, digestion, and absorption of food, for anything that doesn't have a hummingbird's metabolic rate, is only critical after a day or more.

20 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

(editing white-on-white text is a pain.)

Switch to source mode. THAT is black-on-white.

18 hours ago, ijuin said:

Muscle/bone strength-per-weight and oxygen/CO2 are the short-term most-limiting factors, however. Eating, digestion, and absorption of food, for anything that doesn't have a hummingbird's metabolic rate, is only critical after a day or more.

Square-cube law doesn't really differentiate between short-term and long-term, because it's about the animal EVOLVING into such size. If you actually change the size of animal, there are WORSE problems in how you do that. Luckily, magic can take care of that too.

good point... wouldn't the size change cause problems with the nervous system, given said nerves would suddenly be much bulkier and much less efficiently spaced? what if the size change caused them to be spaced too far from each other to even function?

8 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

good point... wouldn't the size change cause problems with the nervous system, given said nerves would suddenly be much bulkier and much less efficiently spaced? what if the size change caused them to be spaced too far from each other to even function?

You still thinks small (or, actually, big - but there are more problems the smaller scale you think about).

What about this: what exactly will happen to the electrical signal transferring information about say moving left rear leg while the nerve it moves on changes diameter and length? Will the number of sodium and potassium ions transmitting the charge change?

Note that the boar attacking Rhoda didn't trip: it continued to move as if nothing happened, until it actually SAW that the world got (relatively) smaller.