• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Monday January 30, 2017

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Elliot foreshadowing his encountering Catalina. ;)

... yup. Catalina, who KNOWS he's cheerleadra and will ask him if him being cheerleadra could have something to do with her being able to transform to catgirl. Obviously, Elliot can also transform to cat, so ...

Also, being annoyed and cool are not only possible emotions. I think he should pose and ask "do I LOOK as a girl"?

PS: The "Friday" effect of Friday comics is little diminished by the scene change: if it's scene change anyway, it's scene change cliffhanger, not end-of-week cliffhanger.

...I really hope he doesn't do what he's thinking of doing in the fifth panel.  It seems to really fly in the face of everything he is; I'm surprised he's even considering it.

Honestly, "I wish!" seems like a very Elliot thing to say...

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

PS: The "Friday" effect of Friday comics is little diminished by the scene change: if it's scene change anyway, it's scene change cliffhanger, not end-of-week cliffhanger.

The fact that we got a different scene today means Friday's comic is even more Friday. :D

Pretending to be annoyed?  By second time some random person asks him an awkward question, he will be unable to fake annoyance.

A nonchalant reaction may be suspicious.  But a too angry response could unleash a different set of problems.

Grace, can you tell Elliot he needs to be just the right amount of offended?

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1844

45 minutes ago, WR...S said:

...I really hope he doesn't do what he's thinking of doing in the fifth panel.  It seems to really fly in the face of everything he is; I'm surprised he's even considering it.

I'm kind of hoping Tedd will do something that makes him reconsider that.  That, and I hope he doesn't do that before seeing Tedd.

Perhaps we begin to see why The Shive thought it was so important to go back to October and the previous magical mischief in the mall. Elliot doesn't know Catalina saw him transform, and doesn't know that Catalina has magic. Fear not, Catalina knows about keeping magic secret, and will do her best to help Elliot keep his secret!

Oh. Wait. Catalina logic.

Okay, maybe Elliot isn't worrying nearly enough about Catalina.

Moving on to other people at Moperville North likely to give Elliot grief: Tony. Is there anyone we know at Elliot's school who's more likely to make a remark about Elliot turning into a girl? Not that Tony necessarily believes it. Remember, he didn't recognize Elliot when Elliot was Ellen.

Then there's Principal Verrucht. We haven't seen Verrucht for a long time. But Verrucht does know Elliot was Ellen, so he won't be as likely to rule out Elliot being Cheerleadra because of the gender difference. And imagine a hall monitor who can fly!

21 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Perhaps we begin to see why The Shive thought it was so important to go back to October and the previous magical mischief in the mall. Elliot doesn't know Catalina saw him transform, and doesn't know that Catalina has magic. Fear not, Catalina knows about keeping magic secret, and will do her best to help Elliot keep his secret!

Catalina might not be the best person to keep secrets. I'm surprised she managed to keep her current ones so long.

Oh. Wait. Catalina logic.

Okay, maybe Elliot isn't worrying nearly enough about Catalina.

Definitely.

Then there's Principal Verrucht. We haven't seen Verrucht for a long time. But Verrucht does know Elliot was Ellen, so he won't be as likely to rule out Elliot being Cheerleadra because of the gender difference. And imagine a hall monitor who can fly!

... actually, all teachers were told, didn't they? So, yes, teachers might be more dangerous than other students ...

(Although ... maybe the teachers did hear about Ellen meanwhile and decided that Ellen making prank on them is more likely than Elliot actually changing gender.)

Which way The Dan goes with Elliot in school depends on if he wants to go for comedy or drama.  If comedy, expect Catalina.  If drama, damn near any one else.

And this is why I fear that Ashley is the town's female Messi. Also, Elliot is a bit too naïve, yes?

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

The fact that we got a different scene today means Friday's comic is even more Friday.

It feels like a regular one to me. Come, Wednesday!

23 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Followed by "The best I can do is this cat guy form!"

Sure it'll still draw attention to him, but not for being Cheerleadra. ;)

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

No. A flying hall monitor would interfere with the ability of the students to see the murals.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

18 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Clearly what is needed is a magical artist who can create animated murals.

If a flying hall monitors are the problem, wouldn't flying murals be the solution?

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

If a flying hall monitors are the problem, wouldn't flying murals be the solution?

Then we'd have to have air traffic control. Also, turkeys are terrible flyers, particularly Frenzied Turkeys.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe Sarah when she gets more spells. She is an artist, so she should have an affinity for imagery magic.

12 hours ago, Stature said:

And this is why I fear that Ashley is the town's female Messi. Also, Elliot is a bit too naïve, yes?

Mia Hamm was before your time?

14 hours ago, partner555 said:

I'm afraid Elliot will act too angry. Please don't go down that path.

Elliot can imagine himself making himself angry, but Elliot really only gets angry about others getting abused. He wouldn't physically attack anyone unless they were getting physical to himself or someone else. However, I can see Elliot getting so angry and/or frustrated that he either transforms unconsciously or just says way too much. And most likely to do that responding to Ashley getting a hard time.

Ashley is maybe the weakest part of Edward's cover-up plan: Ashley's an even worse liar than Elliot. Plus, Ashley is "that girl" that Catalina recognized with Elliot at the mall before the Rose Elliot transformation. Plus, Catalina not just knows about magical transformation, she's done it. So there's a really excellent chance that Catalina will home in on Ashley to offer "help" as soon as she gets to school, maybe before Elliot, and especially if Elliot doesn't drive Ashley to school. The potential altitude of the jinks is high.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Murals are, by definition, on a wall.
The only way you could have flying murals is to have murals on flying walls.

It seems like there should be a way to make this happen...

4 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Murals are, by definition, on a wall.
The only way you could have flying murals is to have murals on flying walls.

It seems like there should be a way to make this happen...

We can have murals on flying pieces of walls...

We'd probably want to use updated building materials than might be standard for the Nile Delta.   Sheetrock is lighter and easier to levitate than a full meter of solid stone backing and does less impact damage on collisions with students...

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe Sarah when she gets more spells. She is an artist, so she should have an affinity for imagery magic.

Affinity is something else ... but yes, she may get spell like that after awakening. Also, she might get spell to copy image from her simulation to reality (make a photograph, effectively). Wouldn't be anytime soon, though.

(Remember: Nanase doesn't have affinity for hiding and Elliot doesn't have affinity for girl spells. Those spell just reflected part of their personality. And in similar way, Sarah can get artist spells.)

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley is maybe the weakest part of Edward's cover-up plan: Ashley's an even worse liar than Elliot. Plus, Ashley is "that girl" that Catalina recognized with Elliot at the mall before the Rose Elliot transformation. Plus, Catalina not just knows about magical transformation, she's done it. So there's a really excellent chance that Catalina will home in on Ashley to offer "help" as soon as she gets to school, maybe before Elliot, and especially if Elliot doesn't drive Ashley to school. The potential altitude of the jinks is high.

I still think Catalina is more likely to contact Elliot. She may not be sure how much ASHLEY knows.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Followed by "The best I can do is this cat guy form!"

Sure it'll still draw attention to him, but not for being Cheerleadra. ;)

This occurred to me as well.

I think that would actually be a brilliant way to hide a superhero identity: in the comics, people frequently figure out the true identity of Batman or Clark Kent, but who would ever suspect Superman behind Batman or vice-versa?

Imagine Bruce Wayne crafting a second superhero alter ego in addition to Batman. Maybe a persona similar to Booster Gold.

In case of an emergency, for example if the public gets dangerously close to finding out about his escapades as Batman, he could simply burn that second identity by allowing himself to be unmasked as that second hero. People would forever associate him with "Booster Gold" and never suspect him to be Batman as well.

He'd just have to make sure that this second persona never actually gets involved in any illegal activities (limiting himself to saving people from burning buildings, rescuing cats from trees etc.) or acquires an enemy list similar to Batman's.

I suppose the same thing would work for Elliot and his two alternative identities.

16 minutes ago, detrius said:

in the comics, people frequently figure out the true identity of Batman or Clark Kent, but who would ever suspect Superman behind Batman or vice-versa

I think that this is more because those two, despite being in same universe, don't interact so often and if they do, it's crossover which doesn't contain "someone guessed someone's identity" as subplot.

17 minutes ago, detrius said:

People would forever associate him with "Booster Gold" and never suspect him to be Batman as well.

I don't think it will really work. Especially considering he would be forced to use similar technologies for both identities. Although it might be worth the shot as last resort.

19 minutes ago, detrius said:

I suppose the same thing would work for Elliot and his two alternative identities.

He's not that super as cat, and showing he can transform at all now would be risky. It will be something else if Catalina (and/or Kitty) gets public, actually - if Catalina would make obvious and public knowledge that being able to transform to one thing doesn't allow you to transform to something else, THEN might Elliot get some advantage of revealing his cat form.

Attempting to think with Catalina logic here.

If Catalina goes to Elliot, he might reveal that he can transform into the big cat.

The Kitty incident was back in October.

Catalina is going to think she infected Elliot with the were-cat curse when she kissed him a few weeks ago.

(A few weeks ago?  Woah!  Die Hard is a Christmas movie, the couch video, Not Tengu, Ronin & Mongoose, and exposing Bad Tom have all occurred in the month before the card tournament on Friday.  The comic has now advanced to the following Monday...)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Attempting to think with Catalina logic here.

If Catalina goes to Elliot, he might reveal that he can transform into the big cat.

The Kitty incident was back in October.

Catalina is going to think she infected Elliot with the were-cat curse when she kissed him a few weeks ago.

She may ; however, Elliot can just say he can do it longer. Also, Elliot look differently than Catalina - more cat-like.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

(A few weeks ago?  Woah!  Die Hard is a Christmas movie, the couch video, Not Tengu, Ronin & Mongoose, and exposing Bad Tom have all occurred in the month before the card tournament on Friday.  The comic has now advanced to the following Monday...)

Actually, the events of "Identity" happened the previous week comic time, so Catalina kissing Elliot, the rumors that Elliot is gay and Bad Tom trying to pick up Susan, were all within the past 7 days.