• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Monday January 30, 2017

9 hours ago, detrius said:

Imagine Bruce Wayne crafting a second superhero alter ego in addition to Batman.

I don't remember Batman ever doing that, but I do remember from over fifty years ago there was a Batman story where Bruce Wayne was injured and Robin used a special costume to act as Batman while Bruce recovered.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that this is more because those two, despite being in same universe, don't interact so often and if they do, it's crossover which doesn't contain "someone guessed someone's identity" as subplot.

If they interacted closely, as in standing side-by-side on a regular basis, it would actually make it clear that they're not the same person. My point was that even if they didn't and were active in the same city, people would still tell them apart because one is the super-strong, bulletproof guy who can fly and shoot death-beams out of his eyes but doesn't because he's too nice to do that and the other is an ordinary human with a cape who can scare the wits out of the toughest bully if you just mention his name.

I don't think it will really work. Especially considering he would be forced to use similar technologies for both identities. Although it might be worth the shot as last resort.

Well, they couldn't use the same abilities, obviously. For example, if the hero possesses any superhuman abilities, then the detraction identity couldn't possess the same abilities. But there's no reason why he couldn't simply be good at things like lock-picking, climbing and running the way an ordinary human would. If Superman can pose as the ordinary human Clark Kent, then why shouldn't he be able to pose as a superhero without superpowers?

He's not that super as cat, and showing he can transform at all now would be risky. It will be something else if Catalina (and/or Kitty) gets public, actually - if Catalina would make obvious and public knowledge that being able to transform to one thing doesn't allow you to transform to something else, THEN might Elliot get some advantage of revealing his cat form.

Or the public might draw a connection to werewolves, who also don't transform into a wide range of forms.

This would obviously result in a whole new world of trouble for Elliot, but I'm pretty sure it would get people off his back about the whole Cheerleadra thing.

32 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't remember Batman ever doing that, but I do remember from over fifty years ago there was a Batman story where Bruce Wayne was injured and Robin used a special costume to act as Batman while Bruce recovered.

I'm actually more inspired by this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsz1p7R5CQA

(Superman posing as Batman)

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Mia Hamm was before your time?

Her playing career? Nah.

I might now reconsider Ashley as an all-around version of Hope Solo.

12 hours ago, detrius said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think it will really work. Especially considering he would be forced to use similar technologies for both identities. Although it might be worth the shot as last resort.

Well, they couldn't use the same abilities, obviously. For example, if the hero possesses any superhuman abilities, then the detraction identity couldn't possess the same abilities. But there's no reason why he couldn't simply be good at things like lock-picking, climbing and running the way an ordinary human would. If Superman can pose as the ordinary human Clark Kent, then why shouldn't he be able to pose as a superhero without superpowers?

Superman is powerhouse. I was thinking about Batman - where would Batman get "spare" set of abilities to show?

I'm actually more inspired by this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsz1p7R5CQA

(Superman posing as Batman)

While funny, it actually shows another problem: unlike Clark Kent, Batman or any other "human" superhero would often be in position where just him surviving would prove he's not just human. Batman is armored and badass, those three still have enough reasons to think this was NOT Batman.

Or the public might draw a connection to werewolves, who also don't transform into a wide range of forms.

Some sources claims that werewolves legends are based on VAMPIRES changing to wolves (on top of bat forms). Although it's unlikely to be widely known ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Some sources claims that werewolves legends are based on VAMPIRES changing to wolves (on top of bat forms). Although it's unlikely to be widely known ...

The idea of vampires changing into bats apparently originated comparatively recently - after the vampire bat species was discovered by Europeans. The association of vampires with wolves is considerably older (and hard to explain, other than by a general tendency of wolves to be attracted to dead mammals).

32 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

The association of vampires with wolves is considerably older (and hard to explain, other than by a general tendency of wolves to be attracted to dead mammals).

At least one Finn is supposed to have said during the Winter War of 1939-1940 between Finland and Russia "The wolves will eat well." He would have been referring to at least a hundred thousand Russian corpses left in the snow.

I think Dracula turns into a wolf somewhere in Bram Stoker's novel. But association with wolves is more logical; vampire bats were unknown to Europe before they'd had some experience in the Americas, and vampire legends are older than that.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think Dracula turns into a wolf somewhere in Bram Stoker's novel. But association with wolves is more logical; vampire bats were unknown to Europe before they'd had some experience in the Americas, and vampire legends are older than that.

Bram Stoker might not be THAT new either :)

In Bram Stoker novel, Dracula turns both into bat and wolf ... and also into mist.

53 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

The idea of vampires changing into bats apparently originated comparatively recently - after the vampire bat species was discovered by Europeans. The association of vampires with wolves is considerably older (and hard to explain, other than by a general tendency of wolves to be attracted to dead mammals).

Bats were associated with night even before vampire bats were discovered. No matter how much could vampire bats do for the legend, the legend might contain bats even before their discovery. Although I wouldn't be surprised if association with wolves is older. It's obvious that original legends didn't differentiate vampires and werewolves as clearly as some modern movies.

On 1/30/2017 at 5:49 PM, hkmaly said:

(Remember: Nanase doesn't have affinity for hiding and Elliot doesn't have affinity for girl spells. Those spell just reflected part of their personality. And in similar way, Sarah can get artist spells.)

In Elliott's case, Magic thought that Elliott was supposed to get girlie spells, but that was only because of how he got magic.  It didn't actually reflect either an affinity or a part of his personality, which left Magic trying harder and harder to please him, until finally Elliott changed enough that it did.  (At which point Tedd believes Elliott will finally get some non-girlie spells that reflect other aspects if his personality.)

On 1/30/2017 at 8:03 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Catalina is going to think she infected Elliot with the were-cat curse when she kissed him

If Catalina's suspicion becomes public, I could definitely see a lot of people trying to get her to kiss them.....

38 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 01/31/2017 at 0:49 AM, hkmaly said:

(Remember: Nanase doesn't have affinity for hiding and Elliot doesn't have affinity for girl spells. Those spell just reflected part of their personality. And in similar way, Sarah can get artist spells.)

In Elliott's case, Magic thought that Elliott was supposed to get girlie spells, but that was only because of how he got magic.  It didn't actually reflect either an affinity or a part of his personality, which left Magic trying harder and harder to please him, until finally Elliott changed enough that it did.  (At which point Tedd believes Elliott will finally get some non-girlie spells that reflect other aspects if his personality.)

Yes. It reflected the supposedly existing part of his personality which made him girl.

38 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 01/31/2017 at 3:03 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Catalina is going to think she infected Elliot with the were-cat curse when she kissed him

If Catalina's suspicion becomes public, I could definitely see a lot of people trying to get her to kiss them.....

She would PROBABLY reject all boys.

Wait. She takes her relationship with Rhoda as exclusive. Ok, she would likely reject everyone. Except Susan. Her will isn't strong enough to reject Susan. Pity Susan would be only one who wouldn't be interested. Also, wouldn't believe such suspicion. And she might not be ready to kiss anyone even if she would know for sure it will give her spell she wants. Like the hair-control spell.