• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday February 8, 2017

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

However, I believe that the most significant contributing factor to Tedd's current blues is the realization that Dad was right and Magic can NEVER become common knowledge.

While Edward was right that magic could never be common knowledge, the reasoning for it wasn't completely right, sure Edward's fears of what might happen are real, but I don't think he expected that Magic itself would step in to prevent it from happening. If Edward knew that more was at stake with keeping magic secret, he'd have told Tedd. After all, Tedd's in too deep to be fed misinformation, and Tedd wanting to make magic public would be something that Edward wouldn't want to give any excuses to avoid giving a proper answer.

Problem is, this is another thing Tedd doesn't want to talk to his dad about, mainly because of the fact that Tedd would likely have to tell him about Sarah having magic and the plan to use that magic to help fix the ambient energy build ups in town, and Tedd wouldn't want to betray Sarah's trust in keeping that a secret.

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Unfortunately, perception is reality.  If Tedd perceives that his father does not understand or can not accept Tedd, then that is what the reality is for Tedd.  At least until Tedd can be persuaded otherwise.

And importantly, the effects are no different from what direct rejection would be. It still hurts Tedd and causes pain. That pain alone is enough to render Mr. Verres unsafe. That he may mean well does not matter. There is a place that is notorious for being readily accessible by way of good intentions and this is where Mr. Verres is currently steering his relationship with Tedd.

From outside, it makes sense that talking and risking rejection will be worth it because the pain wouldn't be that much worse. But from inside, the actual rejection always seem worse ...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

However, I believe that the most significant contributing factor to Tedd's current blues is the realization that Dad was right and Magic can NEVER become common knowledge.

While Edward was right that magic could never be common knowledge, the reasoning for it wasn't completely right, sure Edward's fears of what might happen are real, but I don't think he expected that Magic itself would step in to prevent it from happening. If Edward knew that more was at stake with keeping magic secret, he'd have told Tedd. After all, Tedd's in too deep to be fed misinformation, and Tedd wanting to make magic public would be something that Edward wouldn't want to give any excuses to avoid giving a proper answer.

Note that it IS still possible the EXISTENCE of magic will became common knowledge. What magic doesn't want is to be AVAILABLE to public. But, yes, that's exactly what Tedd wanted to do.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Problem is, this is another thing Tedd doesn't want to talk to his dad about, mainly because of the fact that Tedd would likely have to tell him about Sarah having magic and the plan to use that magic to help fix the ambient energy build ups in town, and Tedd wouldn't want to betray Sarah's trust in keeping that a secret.

I don't think it will be necessary. And while making something close to truth but not endangering Sarah would be hard, I suspect that keeping it secret from Edward without such plan would be even harder. I mean, with Tedd being the special kind of wizard, which is also connected to this ...

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think it will be necessary. And while making something close to truth but not endangering Sarah would be hard, I suspect that keeping it secret from Edward without such plan would be even harder. I mean, with Tedd being the special kind of wizard, which is also connected to this ...

Tedd didn't do a very good job at conveying the existance of space whales to Edward, though he might not have wanted to give his dad any hints that something was happening to him, probably goes back to him not wanting to think about his parents being wrong about him. Him discovering that his insight into magic is more than what he thought it was would rank up there with not wanting to tell Edward about being genderfluid. Tedd doesn't know what having the special insight means and he doesn't know how his dad would react if he told him. Maybe this is a case where Tedd thinks that if Edward knew that Tedd had special insight than no one else has, that he'd be obligated to tell his superiors about it and Tedd would end up being put under the proverbial microscope for wizards to try to learn more.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd didn't do a very good job at conveying the existance of space whales to Edward, though he might not have wanted to give his dad any hints that something was happening to him, probably goes back to him not wanting to think about his parents being wrong about him.

Hmmm ... is this argument for "they shouldn't try making up anything" or for "they are likely to fail hiding something from Edward"? :)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Him discovering that his insight into magic is more than what he thought it was would rank up there with not wanting to tell Edward about being genderfluid. Tedd doesn't know what having the special insight means and he doesn't know how his dad would react if he told him. Maybe this is a case where Tedd thinks that if Edward knew that Tedd had special insight than no one else has, that he'd be obligated to tell his superiors about it and Tedd would end up being put under the proverbial microscope for wizards to try to learn more.

True ; being special kind of wizard might cause DGB to became more interested in Tedd, which doesn't sound safe ...

Still: Edward is likely paying more attention to what Tedd does than he seems to. He is likely to notice something changed. And having no explanation will make it worse ...

If they could explain that they received new information from someone who's identity wouldn't endanger the "hard" secrets ... like ... Edward knows about griffins. It's safe to mention Helena and Demetrius to him. What about blaming THEM for the magic reset hypothesis? ... too late?

31 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... is this argument for "they shouldn't try making up anything" or for "they are likely to fail hiding something from Edward"? :)

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If they could explain that they received new information from someone who's identity wouldn't endanger the "hard" secrets ... like ... Edward knows about griffins. It's safe to mention Helena and Demetrius to him. What about blaming THEM for the magic reset hypothesis? ... too late?

I don't think any good would come from Tedd making up stuff, but at the same time telling Edward about the connection between the increased ambient energy and the creepy girl that appeared on TV would likely complicate things. Elliot's probably already told Edward about what the griffins were on this side of the world for, that knowledge doesn't affect anyone.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think any good would come from Tedd making up stuff, but at the same time telling Edward about the connection between the increased ambient energy and the creepy girl that appeared on TV would likely complicate things.

Especially considering Edward would be interested in HOW they know it.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

Elliot's probably already told Edward about what the griffins were on this side of the world for, that knowledge doesn't affect anyone.

I was suggesting they would put some more information into this debriefing.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure if there's anything related that they could have mentioned about it, Tedd had already made Edward aware that the ambient energy around Moperville was unusually high, now Edward would know that it's because of an energy clog preventing the flow of magic to another half of the world. Tedd and Grace wouldn't know about an Immortal's involvement with the clog until after the debriefing.

The only information that was withheld about the past couple nights was what happened Friday night during the card tournament but as I said, there wasn't any reason to believe it was connected to the stuff that happened Saturday night. If Sarah was at the debriefing, she would have made the connection, but would likely have withheld that info from Edward because she might have to reveal how she knew and why.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure if there's anything related that they could have mentioned about it, Tedd had already made Edward aware that the ambient energy around Moperville was unusually high, now Edward would know that it's because of an energy clog preventing the flow of magic to another half of the world. Tedd and Grace wouldn't know about an Immortal's involvement with the clog until after the debriefing.

The only information that was withheld about the past couple nights was what happened Friday night during the card tournament but as I said, there wasn't any reason to believe it was connected to the stuff that happened Saturday night. If Sarah was at the debriefing, she would have made the connection, but would likely have withheld that info from Edward because she might have to reveal how she knew and why.

Therefore, "too late". Unless they "remember" they "forgot" to mention one detail.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, Scotty said:

Considering Grace had to ruffle through Tedd's hair to be able to see it, I doubt Elliot would be able to see a mark through Tedd's hair just like that.

Tedd's hair is pretty short now.  I could see a breeze hitting the back of her head just right and revealimg the patch of darker skin. Presumably Elliott has been around Tedd long enough to know there's never been a birth mark there before, or at least to be suspicious of never-before-seen skin marks.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Tedd's hair is pretty short now.  I could see a breeze hitting the back of her head just right and revealimg the patch of darker skin. Presumably Elliott has been around Tedd long enough to know there's never been a birth mark there before, or at least to be suspicious of never-before-seen skin marks.

Tedd's hair is no shorter than it was at the card tournament, and speaking from experience having hair like that, it takes quite a bit of wind to move it a considerable amount and at that point I've got my hand trying to hold it down so that it doesn't get too messed up. Even if it the hair lifted enough to show the skin, any dark spot could be confused as shadow.

Also, I'm trying to find where Dan mentioned it, but I coulda swore he stated once that he intentionally made marks darker for our benefit and they're actually not that noticeable unless your actively looking for one.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also, I'm trying to find where Dan mentioned it, but I coulda swore he stated once that he intentionally made marks darker for our benefit and they're actually not that noticeable unless your actively looking for one.

He did, yes. It is not as stark a contrast as, say, dark brown on pink. More like a light red on pink. This is of course in reference to melanin-poor skin types. It might be a different kind of distinction if, say, Greg was marked. (Hypothetically speaking. For all I know, he counts as Awakened.)