• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Camion

NP: Friday February 10, 2017

Immorals can affect the physical plane from the spirt plane, However I suspect that there could be some things immortals can not do magically without being in the same reality (physical plane, dimension, universe, side of the universe, continuum) as the object of their spell.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wow, I guess we did speculate that Rhoda might return home to find a spellbook on her pillow. But I guess Pandora really wanted Rhoda to know about her awakening ASAP.

Why wait? Also, does Pandora even know where Rhoda lives?

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

As for what happened to their enchantments, since Rhoda said she didn't do anything yet it would confirm the fact that their forms were being maintain by their desire to remain disguised, Pandora had said that "These enchantments won't end until sometime after they've stopped caring about hiding" I'd say the moment they made it to the dressing room would allow for them to stopped caring, and so the enchantments just simultaneously ended.

She said she didn't do anything, but just THINKING about ending the spell would be enough to end it given how it was already over expected duration.

9 hours ago, Camion said:
10 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

... I wonder what Pandora's angle is in giving out a spellbook NOW of all times.

I think it's because giving her one earlier could have prevented the wacky hijinx we've just witnessed, and nobody wants that.

6 hours ago, partner555 said:

I think Pandora gave the spellbook with the expectation that further hijinks will ensue in the future.

I think that this is the exact point of time where Rhoda knowing her spells will not lower but raise chance of future hijinks.

6 hours ago, Haylo said:

Perhaps Box makes a point of rewarding any victim subject that's particularly entertaining?

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Pandora does have a tendency of being kind to people she likes.

Also this.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

though I'm not entirely sure if Rhoda's friendship with Grace connects her with Tedd or not. Pandora has seemed like someone who'd play the "6 degrees of Tedd" game.

Yup. Remember that we didn't saw Pandora marking Rhoda: it's entirely possible she marked her BECAUSE of her connection to Tedd.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Have we already forgotten that Pandora marked Kitty? And Catalina and Rhoda haven't escaped from the Mall yet

I don't think Catalina and Rhoda would have more problems escaping ... but, yes, I do expect Kitty to appear now. And Catalina and Rhoda might delay they escaping due to her, although not forced to.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Immorals can affect the physical plane from the spirt plane, However I suspect that there could be some things immortals can not do magically without being in the same reality (physical plane, dimension, universe, side of the universe, continuum) as the object of their spell.

I would suspect that as well, but THIS effectively confirm that immortal can do summoning magic on physical plane from spirit plane. (Note that different universes and sides of universes are something else.)

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It wouldn't be difficult for Pandora to find out.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She said she didn't do anything, but just THINKING about ending the spell would be enough to end it given how it was already over expected duration.

That does go along with not caring about hiding anymore.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think that this is the exact point of time where Rhoda knowing her spells will not lower but raise chance of future hijinks.

There's also the possibility that Rhoda accidentally using new spells won't surprise Pandora anymore now that Pandora knows she's awakened. Now it's a matter of "What will Rhoda do with her new spells?" Pandora might keep a closer eye on Catalina though, to see how long it takes for her to awaken, maybe bet another coke with herself.

12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Catalina and Rhoda would have more problems escaping ... but, yes, I do expect Kitty to appear now. And Catalina and Rhoda might delay they escaping due to her, although not forced to.

While we do have proof that someone can accidentally use their mark spell almost immediately after being marked, do you think Dan will go that route again with Kitty, or hold off for another story? I can see Kitty making another appearance before this arc is done, but it might be more a case of Rhoda and Catalina walking past her without her realizing they were the ones she was chasing.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It wouldn't be difficult for Pandora to find out.

Difficult? No. Boring? Yes.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That does go along with not caring about hiding anymore.

Yes.

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:
22 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There's also the possibility that Rhoda accidentally using new spells won't surprise Pandora anymore now that Pandora knows she's awakened. Now it's a matter of "What will Rhoda do with her new spells?"

After getting TWO new spells in one day, Rhoda is not likely to accidentally use any new spell anytime soon. Meanwhile, there is lot of potential in using spells she already have ...

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

While we do have proof that someone can accidentally use their mark spell almost immediately after being marked, do you think Dan will go that route again with Kitty, or hold off for another story? I can see Kitty making another appearance before this arc is done, but it might be more a case of Rhoda and Catalina walking past her without her realizing they were the ones she was chasing.

Well, it is good opportunity to have Kitty interact with someone from almost-main cast. Otherwise, she will effectively disappear. Or do you think there will be NP story with Kitty being the MOST known character in it?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The waitress brought Chicken Fingers to our table.  Is that the same type of thing?

/me is already in tears.  Now using his cotton handkerchief loudly.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, it is good opportunity to have Kitty interact with someone from almost-main cast. Otherwise, she will effectively disappear. Or do you think there will be NP story with Kitty being the MOST known character in it?

I don't think this arc will be the last we see of Kitty, and I'm thinking she'll either make an appearance in the main story, or maybe Dan has plans for another NP that focuses on Kitty Hi-jinks. Both would be good.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Magic is immaterial anyway, so it's perfectly reasonable for Immortals to be able to manipulate it directly while immaterial (although we don't actually *see* Voltaire doing so, so it would still be possible that he'd have to physically manifest, and he's just behind Dex or masked by Dex's hallucinations).  Physical objects, on the other hand, might require the Immortal to be on the physical plane in order to create them.  This is the first on-screen evidence that they do not.  Before this, you could *assume* they could do so, but there was no actual evidence they could.

Also... even if immortals were required to materialize before they can make other things materialize... we know Pandora can do a creepy-kid form. Just how small can an immortal go? Can one materialize with a height of a millimeter or so, i.e. almost impossible to casually notice, and then make other larger things materialize?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

After getting TWO new spells in one day, Rhoda is not likely to accidentally use any new spell anytime soon.

We don't know how long Rhoda has had those spells. She knew she could change her own size, and change the size of Kitty's sleeves without changing anything else - she did not know she could change Catalina's size and simultaneously change the size of her clothes to fit, and she did not know she could change her own appearance in ways unrelated to size. Just like Elliot didn't know about the secret-identity forms embedded in his superhero spell. This doesn't imply that she didn't have those spells some days earlier, just that she hadn't ]i]used[/i] them. Of course, one valid reason for not using a spell is that you don't have it - I am consistently unsuccessful in using a flight spell - but there are other valid reasons for not using a spell. And if you have a spell but don't know it, you won't use it on purpose.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

We don't know how long Rhoda has had those spells. She knew she could change her own size, and change the size of Kitty's sleeves without changing anything else

What she knew before was basically being able to scale single entities and adjust specific parts of herself. Enlarging Kitty's sleeves was her guessing that she might be able to adjust specific parts of others as well, there was a lot of things that she did that she wasn't sure would work.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think this arc will be the last we see of Kitty, and I'm thinking she'll either make an appearance in the main story, or maybe Dan has plans for another NP that focuses on Kitty Hi-jinks. Both would be good.

Well, I think this won't be last we see of Kitty only because before end of this arc, she will actually get acquainted with Catalina and Rhoda. But if she wouldn't, how can she get near any main character except by chance?

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

After getting TWO new spells in one day, Rhoda is not likely to accidentally use any new spell anytime soon.

We don't know how long Rhoda has had those spells. She knew she could change her own size, and change the size of Kitty's sleeves without changing anything else - she did not know she could change Catalina's size and simultaneously change the size of her clothes to fit, and she did not know she could change her own appearance in ways unrelated to size. Just like Elliot didn't know about the secret-identity forms embedded in his superhero spell. This doesn't imply that she didn't have those spells some days earlier, just that she hadn't ]i]used[/i] them. Of course, one valid reason for not using a spell is that you don't have it - I am consistently unsuccessful in using a flight spell - but there are other valid reasons for not using a spell. And if you have a spell but don't know it, you won't use it on purpose.

Hmmm ... true, both resizing including clothes and disguise are something she MIGHT already have for some time. I still think at least one of those she get today.

(BTW, tried telekinesis again ; the glass still didn't moved)

26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, I think this won't be last we see of Kitty only because before end of this arc, she will actually get acquainted with Catalina and Rhoda. But if she wouldn't, how can she get near any main character except by chance?

Maybe she's still in High School as well and bumps into Rhoda or Catalina in class or lunch, maybe Rhoda or Catalina sees Kitty accidentally use her mark spell in school or during another date or something and decide to help her learn about magic. It doesn't have to happen in this story arc.

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

BTW, tried telekinesis again ; the glass still didn't moved

Back when I was playing "Champions" I had a character who had an absurdly high amount of telekinesis.  In Champions, one of the things you had to have was a special effect of your power.  Mine was "some one else does it".  Not a limitation to make the power cheaper, just thats how it worked.  Most of the other players thought I had mind control as my power.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe she's still in High School as well and bumps into Rhoda or Catalina in class or lunch, maybe Rhoda or Catalina sees Kitty accidentally use her mark spell in school or during another date or something and decide to help her learn about magic. It doesn't have to happen in this story arc.

That counts as chance. Also, while the schools are big, it would be weird if she was going to same school as Catalina and never met her. Remember, even without her mark, Catalina is VERY close to being catgirl.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Back when I was playing "Champions" I had a character who had an absurdly high amount of telekinesis.  In Champions, one of the things you had to have was a special effect of your power.  Mine was "some one else does it".  Not a limitation to make the power cheaper, just thats how it worked.  Most of the other players thought I had mind control as my power.

Champions was fun for absurd powers. I once made a villain called the Michelin Man. You can guess what he looked like. One of his main powers was that he made his targets easier to hit. He accomplished this through making them grow bigger (Aid to Growth) linked to a Strength drain that could only drain extra Strength gained from Growth. Effectively his targets got all the disadvantages from getting bigger but nearly none of the advantages (better reach being the sole exception.)

His power worked through a huge bicycle pump he was carrying around. He would attach the hose to his target and then vigorously pump, blowing them up to a much bigger size. My players hated him.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

That counts as chance. Also, while the schools are big, it would be weird if she was going to same school as Catalina and never met her. Remember, even without her mark, Catalina is VERY close to being catgirl.

Considering Kitty was a very recent, spur of the moment creation by Dan, it's hard to say how he plans on bringing her into the main story. Obviously, Catalina not recognizing her is a good indication that she's never met Kitty before. We'll just have to see.

Dan wouldn't go through this much work to design a throwaway character.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering Kitty was a very recent, spur of the moment creation by Dan, it's hard to say how he plans on bringing her into the main story.

Or IF. I mean, if he already has some specific plan - he might be in the "I really need to somehow get her into main story but I have no idea how" state.

Obviously, Catalina not recognizing her is a good indication that she's never met Kitty before. We'll just have to see.

Obviously.

Dan wouldn't go through this much work to design a throwaway character.

I think he might, but not for so short appearance. It was definitely too much work for her to not appear again - so she either appears more in current story OR Dan will find a way to get her into main story. Or both, of course.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

His power worked through a huge bicycle pump he was carrying around. He would attach the hose to his target and then vigorously pump, blowing them up to a much bigger size. My players hated him.

It seems it was very funny game. At least from outside.

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I tried hard to make sure that it wasn't all just bad jokes at the expense of my players and in general we had a lot of fun. I did like to make quirky villains. I had a pirate villain inevitably named Jolly Roger. One of his widgets was a stuffed parrot sitting on his shoulder. All it did was serve as a radio for him but my players were as if hypnotised by the ridiculous thing. Every time they fought him they ALWAYS spent an attack on blasting it off his shoulder. Every. Single. Time. And since that was its real purpose -- tricking enemies into wasting an attack on shooting it instead of him -- I considered it a grand success, ablative armour for the character.

Of course, he wasn't a very powerful villain, so the players always beat him anyway. I didn't mind. My game philosophy has long been that I in general would rather make my encounters a bit too easy than a bit too hard, as long as they are creative enough to ensure everyone is having fun. Then when I do drop a hard encounter on my players they know that I mean it and start thinking.

Champions is based on comic books, and yes, humor should be part of game play.
Character creation, on the other hand, well I think I mentioned once before that it could be used to teach double entry bookkeeping.  It's a bit numbers intensive.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Champions is based on comic books, and yes, humor should be part of game play.
Character creation, on the other hand, well I think I mentioned once before that it could be used to teach double entry bookkeeping.  It's a bit numbers intensive.

More so than Rifts/Palladium?

Kitty could be a student at Moperville South. Since Diane and Justin are the only students there we know have seen Nanase floating, and Rhoda's quite shy and careful, and Kitty only cares about catgirls, it's less likely Kitty would connect Rhoda with the catgirls she saw.

And I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Kitty again. Even though she hasn't got a name yet, Good Tom's girlfriend, which The Shive created just for someone for Matt Cohen to talk to after Susan turned him down, came back several arcs later. 

So what's Kitty's real name? Kitty Katz, of course.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

More so than Rifts/Palladium?

Way very much so.  The only one that I know of with more is the worse RPG ever made FATAL

Fatal is so bad I'm linking to the TVTropes article on it, not the game it's self.  It's not just bad due to the game system, it's bad due to content.  One reviewer called it among other things a date rape RPG.  The creator of FATAL posted a counter to the review and his objection to that was there wasn't any mention of dating in the game.  So, yeah, worst RPG ever made.

Yeah, I've seen FATAL before. Calling it the worst RPG ever written is an understatement. I don't know how that's even possible, but it's true.

I had mercifully forgotten about it, and wouldn't have named if it I had remembered it. Like I won't name the web-so-called-comic that treats rape and mind control as spectator sports.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Yeah, I've seen FATAL before. Calling it the worst RPG ever written is an understatement. I don't know how that's even possible, but it's true.

I had mercifully forgotten about it, and wouldn't have named if it I had remembered it. Like I won't name the web-so-called-comic that treats rape and mind control as spectator sports.

This... actually sounds worse than that absolute mess of a roleplaying game someone released way back in the nineties. At least that was mainly bad due to horrible rules. It featured such brilliant rules as "each player could only create one character ever" and it was possible to die during character generation. So one reviewer said that he would like to have reviewed the game but couldn't because his one character ever died during creation.

There are many terrible games out there. It frightens me to think that there is one which is actually SO MUCH WORSE that it lies far below even the execrable standards of the rest.

A limit of one character per campaign might make some sort of sense, but never ever being able to play again if your character dies is completely ludicrous.