• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Monday February 13, 2017

6 hours ago, Dabat said:

I understand that, but that raises other questions, all of the non-earthlings we have seen, the Uryuoms and The Deathless Army of Rage, seem to have magic (the Deathless got to earth somehow, and they don't seem like a technological species) seems to point to magic being some form of a universal force. Tedd has certainly been studying it that way. But this indicates that magic is not a universal force, but rather one that changes from species to species.

Perhaps magic is not a universal force, but several. With different species not necessarily having access to the same one. The one that humans have access to apparently has a will (which kind of implies that it's capable of some degree of deliberate concentration). Uryuom/lespuko magic looks a little like human magic - enough so to fool Mr. V's detection wand - but not enough for either species to use the other's magic. On the other hand, it seems all uryuom and lespuko have uryuom magic. On the other hand, griffins use magic sufficiently similar to what Humans use that they can use human magic - whether it's really the same or not, is not currently known.

20 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Perhaps magic is not a universal force, but several.

This is why I use the Force. None of all this overcomplicating claptrap, just a few simple basic rules:

Through conflict comes passion.
Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power comes victory.
Through victory my chains are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:
1 hour ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

But what about our griffin friends and the humans in "the first half" of the EGS universe? They apparently draw their powers from the same pool of magic that Elliot, Susan and all the other marked or awakened magic users are using. Does that mean that if Magic switches things up "here", it will cause mayhem on the other side as well?

That is a very good question.  First step would be to try to find out whether Mr. Verres knows any more about either the Other Half or Magic changing, but it would be difficult to do without telling him why they're asking.  Second best source of info is likely the griffins, when they meet again.  Third might be Nioli, if we ever see her again.

The fact that magic seems to be mainstream on the other half of the world suggests two possibilities.

1: The Will of Magic wants there to be a distinct difference between the two halves, it had allowed one half to develop based on magic being free, the other half based on magic being restricted. As such the other half probably doesn't have anything to worry about with a system change as the Will's intention would be to prevent magic being free on this half.

2: There are two separate Wills, one for each half that shares energy between then, but each has there own way of controlling how people develop magic. One Will wants everyone to be able to use magic, while the other would rather see humans develop technology instead of always relying on magic to accomplish things, but at the same time wants a few to have access to magic to spice things up a bit from time to time.

Either way I don't think the Griffins have anything to worry about, because their half is more magic oriented, I'm inclined to think that the last system change that happened on this half didn't affect the other half and it it did, it seems like it should have been documented better considering they would have likely deciphered the changes quicker.

35 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The fact that magic seems to be mainstream on the other half of the world suggests two possibilities.

1: The Will of Magic wants there to be a distinct difference between the two halves, it had allowed one half to develop based on magic being free, the other half based on magic being restricted. As such the other half probably doesn't have anything to worry about with a system change as the Will's intention would be to prevent magic being free on this half.

Maybe it would introduce a system change there if someone managed to develop a monopoly.

"Screw this noise. I am puncturing your bloody balloon."

Maybe we need to expand the canon/non-canon system. Tedd Forgot Something can almost fit into canon except for the tail at the end of the tail, and even that isn't that big a departure, given that no one noticed Catalina had a tail except for Rhoda before they both turned into half-scale catgirls. I have some suggestions for the new terminology:

• Demi-canon:  Could be canon, but not established yet. NPs about Grace's gaming might be referred to in canon someday.
  • Semi-canon: Magical Comics Store and maybe now Tedd Forgot Something. Some parts may have been retconned out, such as Tedd's tail and Nanase taking five bucks from Duck to use her magic to look like she's wearing a bikini. Also Susan baring her midriff in early comics.
  • Trebuchet:  Unlikely to become canon, but neat, and gives me an excuse to show off that I know how to spell "trebuchet" and what one is, namely a large catapult which was replaced by cannons but still essential for throwing cows at Monty Python. And there's a "Trebuchet" font out there somewhere.

We could add Ballista for stuff that will almost certainly never be canon. And yes there is a Ballista font.

A ballista is basically an oversized crossbow. Oversized enough that it's probably on a fixed mount, and has some sort of a gear assemblage for drawing the string back.

(And here's the Trebuchet font at the same source.)

19 minutes ago, ijuin said:

How does one pronounce "trebuchet", anyway? I have seen it printed many times, but never heard it spoken.

I usually hear it pronounced "treh-boo-sheh" but I sometimes intentionally mispronounce it "treh-bucket"

Oh dear Lord. I just thought of something. If Tedd is angry at the unfairness of the world and Magic in general, how must she be feeling about her father right now. Mr. Verres' transphobia has already served to drive a wedge between the two of them, and now the fact that he has turned out to be right about magic all along (if for the wrong reasons) must make it even harder for Tedd to deal with him. I am not looking forward to their next meeting. :(

17 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh dear Lord. I just thought of something. If Tedd is angry at the unfairness of the world and Magic in general, how must she be feeling about her father right now. Mr. Verres' transphobia has already served to drive a wedge between the two of them, and now the fact that he has turned out to be right about magic all along (if for the wrong reasons) must make it even harder for Tedd to deal with him. I am not looking forward to their next meeting. :(

I said as much in the thread about the previous comic, though not in those exact words. From what little we saw about Tedd before school today, I got the feeling she was actively avoiding Grace and her father (though for different reasons). Normally if someone has been/is/will be interacting with someone else, Dan will give some indication that the other person is there. But if I recall correctly Tedd was drawn to be totally alone.

11 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Ed Verres is not a man to gloat or make a big deal about "being right".  His worst sin is viewing Tedd in hetereonormative terms when Tedd doesn't fit in the heteronormative box.  He's otherwise been very willing to let Tedd find his way.  Verres has never tried to force Tedd act in a certain way to make himself feel more comfortable or interfered in Tedd's research even though he disagrees with Tedd's motives and goals.

I think the anticipation leading up to any Tedd-Ed talk will be worse than the actual conversation.

18 hours ago, Dabat said:

Plus Grace wont be losing her magic. She'll be one of the only people on earth who wont be. It's also been heavily hinted (I thought it was stated, but I can't remember where) that she is much more powerful than most hybrids or Uryuoms, so she will potentially be one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, person on earth if Magic decides to take its ball and go home. I don't think Tedd blames her for this at all, but I would be very jealous in her shoes.

Magic won't take its ball and go home. Magic reset will likely make TEDD the most powerful person on earth (not counting immortals). Of course, she doesn't know this.

13 hours ago, Dabat said:

I understand that, but that raises other questions, all of the non-earthlings we have seen, the Uryuoms and The Deathless Army of Rage, seem to have magic (the Deathless got to earth somehow, and they don't seem like a technological species) seems to point to magic being some form of a universal force. Tedd has certainly been studying it that way. But this indicates that magic is not a universal force, but rather one that changes from species to species. We only know how magic works for for Humans and Uryuoms, but Uryuoms coming to earth, even living their entire lives on earth, don't learn magic the way humans do it would seem to support the "universal force that is expressed differently by different species" hypothesis.

Magic can be universal force and STILL have different rules for how different species can use it. It would even explain why some things won't change in magic reset: interaction between two spells will remain same, but interaction between human and spell - like when human would cast that spell - would change.

8 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

But what about our griffin friends and the humans in "the first half" of the EGS universe? They apparently draw their powers from the same pool of magic that Elliot, Susan and all the other marked or awakened magic users are using. Does that mean that if Magic switches things up "here", it will cause mayhem on the other side as well?

No. Dan even said that magic on other side doesn't care about being public. Only this half has to be worried. The Griffin’s half has magic way, way, WAY out in the open. Their magic is less hipster and more honey badger.

PS: I'll have my cookie for guessing Tedd doesn't fear the removal of ambient magic :)

39 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Something else on Tedd's list of possibly-limited-time-offers: Turning Tony into a girl.

Tedd was thinking about doing that to Tony when Tedd believed the transformation magic (mark or Uryuom) could be used repeatedly, without permanently damaging the target.  Now that magic itself is in a critical condition, transforming Tony could result in Tony permanently stuck in a female, or transitional, form.  Tedd is not cruel, and would not force a gender identity crisis on even the worst person in Moperville.

Also, I can't remember where it was exactly, but Tedd had a serious discussion about the ethics of using magic that seems especially relevant now that each spell could be the last spell.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Ed Verres is not a man to gloat or make a big deal about "being right".  His worst sin is viewing Tedd in hetereonormative terms when Tedd doesn't fit in the heteronormative box.  He's otherwise been very willing to let Tedd find his way.  Verres has never tried to force Tedd act in a certain way to make himself feel more comfortable or interfered in Tedd's research even though he disagrees with Tedd's motives and goals.

I think the anticipation leading up to any Tedd-Ed talk will be worse than the actual conversation.

Oh, I agree with that. The problem is that that anticipation may become a very bad thing indeed and may even block the conversation from happening altogether, or alternately twist its possible avenues so much that they may lead to further misunderstandings rather than resolutions. I have examples of this from my own life, which is why it took me twenty years to find peace with my father and nearly that long to find it with my brother.

I consider it to be an unmitigated blessing that I had finally managed to reach at least the beginnings of a peace with my brother when he needed me the most. It allowed me to help him unreservedly and with no bitterness or anger poisoning the act. What frightens me in retrospect is how near a thing it was.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Magic can be universal force and STILL have different rules for how different species can use it. It would even explain why some things won't change in magic reset: interaction between two spells will remain same, but interaction between human and spell - like when human would cast that spell - would change.

I think we have a disconnect here. It would be possible for magic to be a universal force and simply be expressed differently by different species were it not for the fact it can (and will) change at will and do so by individual species, that is the definition of a non-universal force. Universal forces are just that, universal. They can't change without a change to the entire universe, and they don't care that they can't change. While magic is choosing to be expressed, and how. Now, magic is probably powered by the interaction of some as-of-yet unknown universal force(s), with magic itself being the arbiter of how and when those forces can be used. That means magic is extremely powerful, and perhaps even a universal entity, but not a universal force.

1 hour ago, Dabat said:
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I said as much in the thread about the previous comic, though not in those exact words. From what little we saw about Tedd before school today, I got the feeling she was actively avoiding Grace and her father (though for different reasons). Normally if someone has been/is/will be interacting with someone else, Dan will give some indication that the other person is there. But if I recall correctly Tedd was drawn to be totally alone.

The thing that stands out for me is way back at the end of the first Sister arc, just before Ellen zaps Tedd, Edward comments that it was disturbing seeing one's son as a girl. which I'll agree does sound transphobic. But shortly after we see Edward thinking to himself that maybe he should have picked a gender neutral name when Tedd was born, that doesn't sound transphobic to me, more like feeling it would be easier if the name wasn't awkward to say when referring to a daughter or a son. I just can't imagine someone who's transphobic thinking that.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The thing that stands out for me is way back at the end of the first Sister arc, just before Ellen zaps Tedd, Edward comments that it was disturbing seeing one's son as a girl. which I'll agree does sound transphobic. But shortly after we see Edward thinking to himself that maybe he should have picked a gender neutral name when Tedd was born, that doesn't sound transphobic to me, more like feeling it would be easier if the name wasn't awkward to say when referring to a daughter or a son. I just can't imagine someone who's transphobic thinking that.

I don't think that Mr. Verres is transphobic, at least not to the degree where I'd actually call it transphobic. I fully believe Mr. Verres loves his child as much as a father can. I've outed myself on this forum before, so I don't terribly mind saying again that I am intersex. Now, maybe I am projecting some, but I feel like I know exactly where Tedd is right now (at least with regards to family and who he can talk to). I know that my parents love me unconditionally, but there were a lot of awkward moments while I was still figuring things out. My parents will, and have, supported me in anything I will do, but at the same time they are not who I turn to for gender advice.

Incidently, i recently learned I can't give more than ten likes a day. :(

Edward Verres is many things.  Not the least of which is pragmatic.

Whether or not he likes, understands, or believes what Tedd is doing to be acceptable, Tedd is still Edward's child and Edward isn't going to pretend that nothing is happening.  A gender neutral name would have simplified some matters.

Again I will say that Edward doesn't want to be a bad guy here.  He just doesn't fully comprehend Tedd's emotional and mental state.  And Tedd has a history of withdrawing from the world into the inner mind, so Tedd probably won't be able to start the conversation with Edward.

1 minute ago, Dabat said:

I don't think that Mr. Verres is transphobic, at least not to the degree where I'd actually call it transphobic. I fully believe Mr. Verres loves his child as much as a father can. I've outed myself on this forum before, so I don't terribly mind saying again that I am intersex. Now, maybe I am projecting some, but I feel like I know exactly where Tedd is right now (at least with regards to family and who he can talk to). I know that my parents love me unconditionally, but there were a lot of awkward moments while I was still figuring things out. My parents will, and have, supported me in anything I will do, but at the same time they are not who I turn to for gender advice.

Yeah, I think Edward is trying hard to give Tedd everything to make up for Noriko leaving, but he's unable to really express his feelings sometimes especially when it comes to not understanding Tedd's interests and behaviour and so his reactions come across negatively to Tedd. Of course Tedd not knowing exactly why she liked being female lead to some awkward responses when Edward questioned it like the claim that it was a vacation. And no, I'm not blaming Tedd for getting in this situation, there's no way she could have known what to say before. She's still scared about what might happen, and I do wonder if Tedd believed it was her fault that Noriko left, like "If mom loved me, she wouldn't have left" and that makes Tedd worry about Edward leaving as well because of this.

17 minutes ago, Dabat said:

I don't think that Mr. Verres is transphobic, at least not to the degree where I'd actually call it transphobic. I fully believe Mr. Verres loves his child as much as a father can.

Incidently, i recently learned I can't give more than ten likes a day. :(

The problem here is not what Mr. Verres is. It is what Tedd perceives him as. And from where she is currently sitting, he isn't looking good.

I know this from experience. Had I fully understood my father's position -- or my brother's, for that matter -- I wouldn't have spent decades of my life resenting or even hating them. They did not deserve it. I resented them anyway.

Currently when considering Tedd's position I am thinking of an old Beatles tune. I hope it is not an omen.

Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock as the day begins
silently closing her bedroom door, leaving the note that she hoped would say more
she goes downstairs to the kitchen clutching her handkerchief
quietly turning the backdoor key, stepping outside she is free

She (we gave her most of our lives)
is leaving (sacrificed most of our lives)
home (we gave her everything money could buy)

she's leaving home after living alone for so many years...

16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh, I agree with that. The problem is that that anticipation may become a very bad thing indeed and may even block the conversation from happening altogether, or alternately twist its possible avenues so much that they may lead to further misunderstandings rather than resolutions. I have examples of this from my own life, which is why it took me twenty years to find peace with my father and nearly that long to find it with my brother.

I consider it to be an unmitigated blessing that I had finally managed to reach at least the beginnings of a peace with my brother when he needed me the most. It allowed me to help him unreservedly and with no bitterness or anger poisoning the act. What frightens me in retrospect is how near a thing it was.

Fortunately for Tedd, EGS tends to file down the sharper corners of life.  Reconciliation is a recurring theme in EGS, RE Justin and Melissa.