• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP: Wednesday February 15, 2017

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=578

That's a lot of text on that note.

I'm surprised Pandora said all that. I expected just stating what the book was for, not a practical introduction and admitting to being responsible for Rhoda having magic.

Also not sure if we should trust her statement of the reason for giving Rhoda the mark was to save her from the boar, though I guess Pandora wouldn't turn down any opportunity to mark someone, like "Hey, that girl I scared on the news is about to be gored by a boar, I could scare it off for her, but she seem to have a yearning that allows for me to give her size changing magic, so let's go with that and see what happens."

1 minute ago, partner555 said:

So even then, Pandora's intuition could be wrong.

In terms of her expecting Rhoda to shrink the boar? It was a 50/50 guess and it's really hard to predict what Rhoda would have done the first time she cast the spell.

Also not the only time Pandora was wrong, she didn't expect Rhoda to awaken so quickly and that many new spells already.

If this note is from Pandora, she is showing one of her more endearing personality traits.

If I remember correctly, during the card tournament Pandora dismissed Grace as "That Squirrel" even though she later told the Emissary that Grace was the best thing to happen to Tedd.  Now she refers to Catalina as Rhoda's Cat even as she credits the Feline for saving Rhoda's life.

"I am so much better than you that I don't even need to acknowledge that you are a person" is an attitude that makes a character extremely unsympathetic in fiction.  And it doesn't do much to make a person likeable in real life either.  But when an immortal being with god-like magical abilities thinks that you are beneath her contempt, it is going to take a lot to convince her otherwise.

36 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If this note is from Pandora, she is showing one of her more endearing personality traits.

If I remember correctly, during the card tournament Pandora dismissed Grace as "That Squirrel" even though she later told the Emissary that Grace was the best thing to happen to Tedd.

More proof that my waifu isn't evil, just, well, weird.  And she didn't say "That squirrel", she said "the squirrel", which isn't quite as insulting, at least to me.

36 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But when an immortal being with god-like magical abilities thinks that you are beneath her contempt, it is going to take a lot to convince her otherwise.

So far every one we have seen her interact with has been for the good.  That is "we have seen", she may or may not have done less than good things off screen.

• Good Tom - detect puppies in danger
  • Rhoda - size change
  • Cat & Kitty - Cat girl
  • Tedd - gender change
  • Justin - fighting power
  • Sarah - magic in general

These are all things that either they really wanted or were something they could use.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=578

That's a lot of text on that note.

Yup. Especially considering it may not be everything. She didn't get to anything about the book yet - in fact, this part sounds as if the BOOK is Pandora.

Must be very small print. Or, well, magic.

I'm surprised Pandora said all that. I expected just stating what the book was for, not a practical introduction and admitting to being responsible for Rhoda having magic.

Yes. It's probably to build trust, so it makes sense, but still, not expecting that.

Also not sure if we should trust her statement of the reason for giving Rhoda the mark was to save her from the boar, though I guess Pandora wouldn't turn down any opportunity to mark someone, like "Hey, that girl I scared on the news is about to be gored by a boar, I could scare it off for her, but she seem to have a yearning that allows for me to give her size changing magic, so let's go with that and see what happens."

I'm not sure she is allowed scare off the boar. Although it might be counted as guiding.

But yes, I'm skeptical even to the implied statement that she only marked her just before the boar attack.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

"I am so much better than you that I don't even need to acknowledge that you are a person" is an attitude that makes a character extremely unsympathetic in fiction.  And it doesn't do much to make a person likeable in real life either.  But when an immortal being with god-like magical abilities thinks that you are beneath her contempt, it is going to take a lot to convince her otherwise.

Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres: You know, I have really had it with this superiority complex of yours.

Female Q: It's not a complex, dear, it's a fact.

It is unsympathetic attitude indeed, but in some cases it's justifiable. From her point of view, animals and humans are not that different ... and it can be argued that being annoyed when compared to animal is just HUMAN superiority complex.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

she said "the squirrel", which isn't quite as insulting, at least to me.

Especially considering Grace's surname IS squirrel, sort of.

Personally, it's the "your" part of "your cat" which is more disturbing to me. It's implying Catalina belongs to Rhoda.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

So far every one we have seen her interact with has been for the good.

Also, in all cases, it was for her amusement. She can do things for multiple reasons.

But yes, he most evil things we saw her doing was giving her son lesson he doesn't think he needed. And what child agree with parent's method of educating him?

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(Snip)

Especially considering Grace's surname IS squirrel, sort of.

Personally, it's the "your" part of "your cat" which is more disturbing to me. It's implying Catalina belongs to Rhoda.

(/Snip)

I agree, that's insulting to all cats. Cats doesn't have owners, they have servants. But in this case my guess is that Rhoda is Catalina's most favored servant... ;)

I think that referring to Catalina as Rhoda's cat, or referring to Grace as "the Squirrel" is partly terms of endearment, and partly an attitude that the person with whom Pandora associates each of them (Rhoda, Tedd) is a person of great magical potential and thus superior to mere Muggles.

Anyway, the text of the note so far seems to just be Pandora establishing her benevolent intentions toward Rhoda so that Rhoda will be receptive toward further guidance (e.g. using the book).

3 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

I agree, that's insulting to all cats. Cats doesn't have owners, they have servants. But in this case my guess is that Rhoda is Catalina's most favored servant... ;)

Something along the lines of referring to someone as "Your boss" or "Your master/mistress" or "your head of department," rather than referring to them as a possession, then.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe it is scrolling text. >.>

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

That though did occur to me, we have an example of Noah being able to write notes with magical effects, I would expect an Immortal like Pandora to be more elaborate.

My head canon is that it is like the title scroll from the Star Wars movies, complete with epic music.

Just now, mlooney said:

My head canon is that it is like the title scroll from the Star Wars movies, complete with epic music.

Ideally by Hans Zimmer or Howard Shore. Jerry Goldsmith or John Williams would both be good, too, but they tend to be more action-y.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Pandora associates each of them (Rhoda, Tedd) is a person of great magical potential and thus superior to mere Muggles.

So the fact that Grace may be the second most powerful mortal on Earth (next to Tedd) she's still a mere Muggle?

I am wondering though if Pandora referring to Catalina that way is Pandora still being a bit bitter about Catalina's name based affinity.

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I am wondering though if Pandora referring to Catalina that way is Pandora still being a bit bitter about Catalina's name based affinity.

...Or she's trolling Catalina because she's Pandora...

7 hours ago, Scotty said:
11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Maybe it is scrolling text. >.>

That though did occur to me, we have an example of Noah being able to write notes with magical effects, I would expect an Immortal like Pandora to be more elaborate.

Edward Verres can also write interesting notes.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
7 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Something along the lines of referring to someone as "Your boss" or "Your master/mistress" or "your head of department," rather than referring to them as a possession, then.

... that makes sense. Didn't realized it before.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

So the fact that Grace may be the second most powerful mortal on Earth (next to Tedd) she's still a mere Muggle?

Unlikely. She's exceptional compared to rest of main cast, but I wouldn't bet on her compared to, say, Noriko Verres.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
3 hours ago, Scotty said:

...Or she's trolling Catalina because she's Pandora...

Probably both (and not just a bit).

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Edward Verres can also write interesting notes.

What Edward does is not unlike doctor's prescription notes. ;)

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Unlikely. She's exceptional compared to rest of main cast, but I wouldn't bet on her compared to, say, Noriko Verres.

I was mainly talking in terms of raw power. When it comes to skill, yeah Noriko would be better than Grace.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I was mainly talking in terms of raw power. When it comes to skill, yeah Noriko would be better than Grace.

While Grace is more powerful than Greg I don't think that's so exceptional. Even not counting their better skill, Noriko, agent Wolf and Adrian Raven probably have more raw power.

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure Raven can be pretty impressed even by someone LESS powerful than himself.

Although yes, I would be interested at what would he say on FULL Omega form.

It's possible Adrian could "taste" the potential of Grace.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure Raven can be pretty impressed even by someone LESS powerful than himself.

Although yes, I would be interested at what would he say on FULL Omega form.

It's possible Adrian could "taste" the potential of Grace.

Well sure, but he seems, just like Greg, unable to "taste" potential of any other forms than the one she currently have.