• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday February 15, 2017

47 minutes ago, Dabat said:

Good Guy Elliot does what everyone on this forum wanted to do for the last week.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Bless you, Elliot. I knew we could rely on you.

Yes.

But now about the rest of panels: Holy shit she's right! Just because Uryuom tech would still work it doesn't mean it would work on humans. While it would be dick-ish move from magic, 1) we already established magic is a butt-face 2) it could be unintended sideefect.

Also, Tedd might not realize it but she is pretty powerful now, considering her friends. However, she will lose most of that power in magic reset. Sure, she will still have Grace, but it will be good opportunity to reject her access to uryuom tech ... if we ignore her dangerous rarity, which the DGB would as it doesn't know about it.

I had assumed Magic would keep working the same, but Tedd's right. If the interaction changes the tech might not work on humans anymore, or even Grace. I also wonder what would happen to Abraham in his stone form. Does the spell just end?

Also I love the how Dan is drawing Tedd's eyes right now. They work so well at making her look angry and upset.

Just now, Dabat said:

I had assumed Magic would keep working the same, but Tedd's right. If the interaction changes the tech might not work on humans anymore, or even Grace. I also wonder what would happen to Abraham in his stone form. Does the spell just end?

I would think that the TFG would still work on Grace, because it's power is based on Uryuom Power, not magic, and Grace has Uryuom Power.

If we were to continue to compare Sister 3 with the first Sister arc, we could probably say that we're at the point where Elliot just touched the diamond and believes that the clock's ticking for how long Ellen would live. They didn't have all the information back then to properly assess what happened, and I think that's the same now with Tedd not having all the information about what's happening with Magic. The one fact that she knows for sure is that Magic doesn't want to be public which has her emotionally distraught because that was her dream, everything else is speculation driven by those emotions. Tedd's especially worried that her Dad would one day decide she shouldn't have the TFG anymore and that's another batch of distraught emotions.

2 hours ago, Dabat said:

If it does, he'd also be without his Modern Dress And Knowledge spell.  He'd be stuck speaking Old English or some equivalent, and no longer know about how modern stuff like cars and locks work.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I would think that the TFG would still work on Grace, because [its] power is based on Uryuom Power, not magic, and Grace has Uryuom Power.

Grace doesn't really need it anymore, they've added so many forms to her database and she can mix and match so readily.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Tedd's especially worried that her Dad would one day decide she shouldn't have the TFG anymore and that's another batch of distraught emotions.

Remember, Mr. Verres isn't the guy in charge anymore.  If every government magical agent suddenly didn't know how to use magic any more, you can be sure someone would decide to confiscate the CMD for government use, and Tedd's dad might not be able to stop them, even if he wanted to.

Legally, it might still belong to the Uryuoms who gave it to Tedd, so it's possible they could try to stop them if they found out in time, or file a protest and try to get their stuff back, but given that their government disapproves of their having it and they only got to keep it because if a grandfather clause, the Uryuom government might not be willing to cause a diplomatic incident over it. (The possibility might give Mr. Verres a leg to stand on, though....)

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

If it does, he'd also be without his Modern Dress And Knowledge spell.  He'd be stuck speaking Old English or some equivalent, and no longer know about how modern stuff like cars and locks work.

Is he English? I could of sworn he was French? ... Though now that I try to recall, I have no idea why I thought he was.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

That spell would probably work along the same lines as Tedd's gender change spell in that it's a permanent thing and not an enchantment, so I don't see Abraham losing knowledge of the current era, the statue spell though seems to be an enchantment with a trigger link to the diamond, obviously the diamond would lose it's magic so I would imagine the statue spell would end as well.

The argument about why the Uryuom magic / tech would keep working, but may not be useable on or by humans, was not what I anticipated.  But it does make sense.

Random thought just struck me.

Would a loss of human accessibility to magic leave Vladia stuck in her current form, or would it force a reset to Vlad?

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=555

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Would a loss of human accessibility to magic leave Vladia stuck in her current form, or would it force a reset to Vlad?

Vladia is just like Grace, though while Vladia doesn't have any Lespuko DNA to allow her to mix and match forms, her current form is not an enchantment.

Elliot realized that Tedd needed a hug now, just as Tedd had realized that Elliot had needed a hug previously (see "End of an Era"). Elliot really is the best person for understanding Tedd's emotional connection to the Magic here--for the rest of the pure-human cast, Magic is something awesome that they can do, but only for Tedd and Elliot do their own transformations tie into their sense of self.

As fot Tedd keeping access to Uryuom tech, Tedd has already learned enough about the tech to be able to reproduce it (having built duplicate copies of the Gun)--the problem is that it probably requires several Uryuom-made components that can not be substituted with current Earth-made ones, so Edward would still need to be able to acquire those. It would be rather like trying to recreate a PC using WWII tech--the CPU, as well as any gigabyte-scale RAM and storage would have to be supplied completely as opposed to being made from ready parts or jury-rigged transistors.

30 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Elliot realized that Tedd needed a hug now, just as Tedd had realized that Elliot had needed a hug previously (see "End of an Era"). Elliot really is the best person for understanding Tedd's emotional connection to the Magic here--for the rest of the pure-human cast, Magic is something awesome that they can do, but only for Tedd and Elliot do their own transformations tie into their sense of self.

The tied to their sense of self aspect for Elliot I think shows in the 1st panel.

42 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Elliot realized that Tedd needed a hug now, just as Tedd had realized that Elliot had needed a hug previously (see "End of an Era").

I think it's more like Tedd was starting to get agitated like Elliot was in "Identity", though Elliot didn't have a Grace on hand use Hug and ignored the fact that Tedd was a girl.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, Dabat said:

I would think that the TFG would still work on Grace, because it's power is based on Uryuom Power, not magic, and Grace has Uryuom Power.

Certainly. When you apply TF Gun on Grace, Earth magic will never come into equation.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Tedd's especially worried that her Dad would one day decide she shouldn't have the TFG anymore and that's another batch of distraught emotions.

Remember, Mr. Verres isn't the guy in charge anymore.  If every government magical agent suddenly didn't know how to use magic any more, you can be sure someone would decide to confiscate the CMD for government use, and Tedd's dad might not be able to stop them, even if he wanted to.

Tedd already have TWO TF Guns and can likely make more. Arthur Arthur already shown he's not stupid. If DGB decides they need CMD for government use, Tedd would be REQUIRED to use TF Gun on herself - as part of quality control when making them.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

or file a protest and try to get their stuff back, but given that their government disapproves of their having it and they only got to keep it because if a grandfather clause, the Uryuom government might not be willing to cause a diplomatic incident over it.

Remember that the law is based on religion which is no longer officially supposed to influence laws. It's possible that ANY official mention of such device would risk causing political conflict in Uryuom government ... humans might decide it's safer to keep the issue on earth even if it would mean giving the gun back to Tedd.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

That spell would probably work along the same lines as Tedd's gender change spell in that it's a permanent thing and not an enchantment, so I don't see Abraham losing knowledge of the current era, the statue spell though seems to be an enchantment with a trigger link to the diamond, obviously the diamond would lose it's magic so I would imagine the statue spell would end as well.

He would, however, lose the ability to upgrade his knowledge later, so he would be stuck speaking 21th century English.

Note: I don't think the diamond would lose it's magic. It may stop working on humans the way it did, but it would still be hard to destroy magic object and it would likely have SOME effect on humans.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Vladia is just like Grace, though while Vladia doesn't have any Lespuko DNA to allow her to mix and match forms, her current form is not an enchantment.

Also, Vladia probably isn't stuck, just too afraid to try to change.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

It would be rather like trying to recreate a PC using WWII tech--the CPU, as well as any gigabyte-scale RAM and storage would have to be supplied completely as opposed to being made from ready parts or jury-rigged transistors.

For WWII tech, even megabyte memory would be unreachable. Also, WWII era transistors probably wouldn't be able to operate on megahertz frequency (not speaking about gigahertz).

But I don't think the difference is so big in uryuom tech case. More likely, the "computer" part is comparable (Tedd seems to use earth computers to interface with Uryuom tech), but the battery and obviously something around the beam generation would be outside abilities of Earth technology.

9 hours ago, Dabat said:

Is he English? I could of sworn he was French? ... Though now that I try to recall, I have no idea why I thought he was.

Verres itself is French, while Noriko is in Europe, yet Nanase and Susan had their trip to France. Now I really believe that France is a big red herring.

Although, is Tedd talking about the true fate of magic, or the worst case scenario, since I worry about him being a worrywart.

10 minutes ago, Stature said:

Although, is Tedd talking about the true fate of magic, or the worst case scenario, since I worry about him being a worrywart.

He is talking about worst case scenario but might still give it unrealistically high probability.

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He would, however, lose the ability to upgrade his knowledge later, so he would be stuck speaking 21th century English.

He would lose the ability to turn into a statue for long periods of time as well, so he would have to upgrade his knowledge the same way everyone else does, and he wouldn't get into a situation where there's a huge knowledge gap to fill.

20 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

For WWII tech, even megabyte memory would be unreachable. Also, WWII era transistors probably wouldn't be able to operate on megahertz frequency (not speaking about gigahertz).

Transistors didn't get looked at for practical use until after WWII (1947 according to wiki) so yeah I doubt any WWII tech could be jury-rigged into something resembling a modern computer.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
36 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

He would lose the ability to turn into a statue for long periods of time as well, so he would have to upgrade his knowledge the same way everyone else does, and he wouldn't get into a situation where there's a huge knowledge gap to fill.

Unless he would lose the ability to STOP being statue ... or, he could lose the ability to turn into statue starting NEXT time he would stop being one.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:
37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Transistors didn't get looked at for practical use until after WWII (1947 according to wiki) so yeah I doubt any WWII tech could be jury-rigged into something resembling a modern computer.

Right. And first transistor capable of operating at 60MHz was 1953.

1 hour ago, Stature said:

Verres itself is French, while Noriko is in Europe, yet Nanase and Susan had their trip to France. Now I really believe that France is a big red herring.

No it's not. France is a big blue cheese.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

He is talking about worst case scenario but might still give it unrealistically high probability.

Since she is dealing with what for her would be the effective destruction of years of work and the loss of so many things that have helped her turn her life around, any nonzero chance of it happening is a cause of significant worry. Even if it is only a one percent chance, the consequences will remain ruinous. And the chances of magic change happening are currently significantly larger than nonzero.