• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Monday February 20, 2017

I'm not much of a shipper, but someone with more skill in photoshop then I have needs to edit in Elliot kissing Tedd in panel #5, stat.

11 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

Reminds me of Smiling Jack's commentary about cell phone cameras and the Masquerade. He's quite right, something's got to give. And The Will Of Magic is the only thing that reasonably can.

The majority of my characters in that setting, both LARP and tabletop, were prepared just in case that did happen. I wonder how Elliot's revelation will affect the comic's story. Because he's right. Eventually Magic is either going to have to put up or shut up. A world wide phenomena like that couldn't stay hidden in an age of instantaneous communication, not forever.

EDIT: I dun't spel gude.

Elliot's analysis put a new perspective on magic for me.

I now imagine it something like this...

Hi, Tedd.  I'm Magic.

I'm the kid down the street who has all the best toys and games.

Sometimes, I'll bring over a new game and let you play.  I won't tell you how to play it.  You will need to figure that out on your own.  I might let you hold on to it for a long time.  Or I might watch you like a hawk every moment you're near it.

Either way, I can take it away at any time.  This might be because I don't like the way you and your friends are using my game.  Or the reason may not involve you in any way.  Doesn't matter to me.

Now Tedd, I let you have an ultra rare, limited edition, custom expansion for the magic game all your friends and relatives have been playing.  You are only now beginning to understand just what kind of advantage this can give you.  But I might pull the game away from everyone else, and your special expansion pack will be useless without anyone else playing.

Oh, your watches?  They are about to become as useful and attractive as the 1978 Timex digital with an imitation leather strap that your dad lost in the back of the closet over thirty years ago.

3 hours ago, partner555 said:

Very intuitive Elliot. People know magic exist, and with cameras, magic can't very well keep changing the rules.

As Arthur put it, in an age where everyone has video cameras at all times, it is impossible to maintain ignorance of magic's existence. The truly dangerous secret however is not that magic exists, but rather that nearly any idiot who is determined enough can Awaken. The "middle path" that Arthur was trying to follow was one of claiming that Mages are Born rather than Made--i.e. a person born without "talent" would have little hope of gaining access to magic.

What Magic seems to want is to allow the possibility for "wild cards" to exist (i.e. people who self-select for magical Awakening as opposed to being hand-picked by Magic Itself). This thus requires that there be some method for Awakening that can be initiated by Mr. Random Guy. At the same time, Magic's desire to keep the proportion of Mages low means that the threshold needs to be greater than simply convincing an existing powerful Mage to share their knowledge (e.g. studying instruction books).

Very astute, Elliot. But you are not some sort of mafia and magic is not a clueless butt face weakling.

4 hours ago, Dabat said:

I'm not much of a shipper, but someone with more skill in photoshop then I have needs to edit Elliot kissing Tedd in panel #5, stat.

First of all, how would you picture Sarah kissing Elliot on the lips, if they ever did?

47 minutes ago, Stature said:

Very astute, Elliot. But you are not some sort of mafia and magic is not a clueless butt face weakling.

Well, no, but if he's motivated enough or ticked off enough Elliot can be absolutely terrifying.  The only thing that would keep him from trying to intimidate Magic Itself if it ever changes enough to hurt Tedd is not knowing how in the heck to even start.

Ok, I need to check, I think the OT14 has an Elliot -> Tedd link, if it doesn't going to add that ASAP

Aside for shipping, I do think that Elliot is on the right track, with one major assumption, that "The Will of Magic" in fact can notice what is going on mundanely in the world.  If all WoM can notice is magic use in the world, we might have a problem.

11 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Ok, I need to check, I think the OT14 has an Elliot -> Tedd link, if it doesn't going to add that ASAP

Aside for shipping, I do think that Elliot is on the right track, with one major assumption, that "The Will of Magic" in fact can notice what is going on mundanely in the world.  If all WoM can notice is magic use in the world, we might have a problem.

Sorry. I'm blanking. OT14?

The One True Tetradecagon or 14 sided polygon. It's actually a web. The not quite current version looks like this:

OT14x03_notransp.png

For the record I can find a canon source for where those links come from.  Granted some are less, shall we say, solid than others.

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The One True Tetradecagon or 14 sided polygon. It's actually a web. The not quite current version looks like this:

... I approve of this entire thing. But a poly pod that large would require a lot of communication. I still approve. And I want video.

I just have to wonder if anyone's actually tried ficcing that.  (...don't look at me, I'm still three for fifty on those prompts.)

Anyway, regardless of her decision, think I'm going to use "she" for atemporal references to Tedd from now on.

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Now Tedd, I let you have an ultra rare, limited edition, custom expansion for the magic game all your friends and relatives have been playing.  You are only now beginning to understand just what kind of advantage this can give you.  But I might pull the game away from everyone else, and your special expansion pack will be useless without anyone else playing..

Except it's just the opposite: Tedd gets to keep that expansion and it works no matter what the new system is.

Though they might not know that...

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wow, quite the pep talk from Elliot here. Even suggesting to keep trying until Magic basically gives up.

If magic has some intelligence with that will, it won't take that long.

17 hours ago, Dabat said:
17 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Reminds me of Smiling Jack's commentary about cell phone cameras and the Masquerade. He's quite right, something's got to give. And The Will Of Magic is the only thing that reasonably can.

The majority of my characters in that setting, both LARP and tabletop, were prepared just in case that did happen. I wonder how Elliot's revelation will affect the comic's story. Because he's right. Eventually Magic is either going to have to put up or shut up. A world wide phenomena like that couldn't stay hidden in an age of instantaneous communication, not forever.

Remember that the REAL objective is that magic wouldn't be AVAILABLE to everyone. Single reset may be enough to change rules so it's possible that almost everyone knows magic exists but only few are able to use it.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:
17 hours ago, partner555 said:

Very intuitive Elliot. People know magic exist, and with cameras, magic can't very well keep changing the rules.

As Arthur put it, in an age where everyone has video cameras at all times, it is impossible to maintain ignorance of magic's existence. The truly dangerous secret however is not that magic exists, but rather that nearly any idiot who is determined enough can Awaken. The "middle path" that Arthur was trying to follow was one of claiming that Mages are Born rather than Made--i.e. a person born without "talent" would have little hope of gaining access to magic.

What Magic seems to want is to allow the possibility for "wild cards" to exist (i.e. people who self-select for magical Awakening as opposed to being hand-picked by Magic Itself). This thus requires that there be some method for Awakening that can be initiated by Mr. Random Guy. At the same time, Magic's desire to keep the proportion of Mages low means that the threshold needs to be greater than simply convincing an existing powerful Mage to share their knowledge (e.g. studying instruction books).

Yes, exactly.

Although ... if Magic won't find any other way, perhaps limiting itself on born mages WOULD be usable compromise for it ...

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

For the record I can find a canon source for where those links come from.  Granted some are less, shall we say, solid than others.

So you said. I'm still not seeing it on wiki.

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Because of course universal cosmic forces are always known to be open to compromising. I suppose Elliot's going to negotiate with gravity next?

He already did. So did Nanase. In fact, seems that gravity is easily intimidated.

3 hours ago, WR...S said:

Besides, we've established magic's jurisdiction is only our planet (or at least doesn't extend to Cho Kulomg Krumog).

Actually, it might be half-of-universe-wide ... but only for Humans.

1 hour ago, Aura Guardian said:
17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Now Tedd, I let you have an ultra rare, limited edition, custom expansion for the magic game all your friends and relatives have been playing.  You are only now beginning to understand just what kind of advantage this can give you.  But I might pull the game away from everyone else, and your special expansion pack will be useless without anyone else playing..

Except it's just the opposite: Tedd gets to keep that expansion and it works no matter what the new system is.

Though they might not know that...

They CERTAINLY don't know that yet but yes: Tedd's expansion will get BETTER in case of reset.

38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, sure, if humans leave Earth, they'll still be under Magic's jurisdiction, but only by virtue of having evolved here.  In fact, I almost said "only to humans," but per Dan the griffins' magic falls to its counterpart, so presumably if there are any sentient races native to the main Earth besides humans and immortals (? native), they also fall under Magic's purview.  Heck, even in another universe, humans from the main one would most likely still be playing at least partially by main-universe Magic's rules.

16 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

http://elgoonishshive.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images?file=OT14x03_notransp.png
It's under "Shipping" in the Shiveapedia.

The sources I mean.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

When you mentioned this last time, I think I replied that it would be good idea to add those canon source links to the wiki.

12 minutes ago, WR...S said:
50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, sure, if humans leave Earth, they'll still be under Magic's jurisdiction, but only by virtue of having evolved here.  In fact, I almost said "only to humans," but per Dan the griffins' magic falls to its counterpart, so presumably if there are any sentient races native to the main Earth besides humans and immortals (? native), they also fall under Magic's purview.

True. We don't know if there is any other sentient species native on Earth besides humans (I'm pretty sure immortals don't count into this category), but we shouldn't assume. Actually, there are whales, but those seem to have different relationship to magic and are sort of interdimensional.

(Note that EGS's humans likely DID left Earth at least for short while, and we know for sure Uryuom are still under THEIR technically-magic jurisdiction on Earth, even the ones born here).

12 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Heck, even in another universe, humans from the main one would most likely still be playing at least partially by main-universe Magic's rules.

Actually, even on the other half of THIS universe, humans might be playing by different rules ... I mean, the humans native to that people obviously do, and if they originally came from this half ... on the other hand, griffins' magic seemed unaffected ... damn. We really need Andrea to explain this.

13 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Well, sure, if humans leave Earth, they'll still be under Magic's jurisdiction, but only by virtue of having evolved here.  In fact, I almost said "only to humans," but per Dan the griffins' magic falls to its counterpart, so presumably if there are any sentient races native to the main Earth besides humans and immortals (? native), they also fall under Magic's purview.  Heck, even in another universe, humans from the main one would most likely still be playing at least partially by main-universe Magic's rules.

That's why I figure that either each half of the world has their own Will of magic, or there's just the one Will but it can manipulate how magic works in each half independently, with the magic energy flowing between being the only constant.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
13 hours ago, mlooney said:

5 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Not had the best month or so.  I'll see what I can do

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

That's why I figure that either each half of the world has their own Will of magic, or there's just the one Will but it can manipulate how magic works in each half independently, with the magic energy flowing between being the only constant.

Or both halves have the same will, but 'free' magical energy is finite. Our side is supposed to be the one where excess magical energy is produced and the other is supposed to be the one to use it up.

Just now, Dabat said:

Or both halves have the same will, but 'free' magical energy is finite. Our side is supposed to be the one where excess magical energy is produced and the other is supposed to be the one to use it up.

That doesn't make much sense considering there are "whales" that consume excess energy on the main half.

It does make you wonder how the energy is produced to begin with, is it a byproduct of another process? Is it the same as how humans and other animals breath oxygen and give off carbon dioxide, and then plants take in the carbon dioxide and give off oxygen? If the "whales" eat magic, what do they give off as waste and then what takes the waste and turns it back into magic?